• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question

My friend and I spent last Tuesday to Sat. morning on Rainy for our fourth trip in a row. We both love the lake and thought we had it timed perfectly to the same time we did really well 2 years ago. We thought the fish would be stacked on the reefs and we could just rig them and jig them to success. I was very surprised to discover all we caught were 10 inchers. We spent one day east of the Brule and fished those reefs but didn't catch much. Our biggest walleye I caught throwing an X-rap to the shoreline which was only a 17incher. I did catch a really big smallie and that was cool.

We plan to do this trip again next year and we like fall because weather is usually nice but are we better off coming up late August of something. Where did all the slot fish go?

Champs

I wish I could tell you but no idea myself took the family out sunday afternoon and tried a few spots swallow and deep found the fish stacked up in places but avg sizes were 8 to 14 in got a few 16's .but of course late in day my 9yr old niece catches a 26 in walleye got to say that was the best part of the day

Hi Champs,

East of the brule (American Side) slows way down this time of the year., our water temps dropped 20 degrees in the last 2 weeks. Beyond late August I do not waste my time going thru the brule, there are much better spots on the west end of Rainy. You might of found fish in 45 + feet. The last week, I have concentrated on crappies (have caught 2-2 lbers) and alot between 1 to 1 1/2 lbs...we are catching alot of walleyes (some slots) & saugers mixed in & some jumbo perch (1-13"). If you want to consistantly catch walleyes on the reefs, fish July!!! I heard one report of 100+ crappies caught saturday!!!

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

Thanks Fishmeister. We didn't really look too much deeper than 40fow. Of course we both love Rainy it was just a little disappointing and surprising to just catch 10inchers when you look forward to a trip for six months. But each year we learn the lake a little better and hopefully next year will be better. Probably will be moving the trip up to the summertime...I hope. smile

Hey champs,

Just got back from Rainy...slow fishin'compared to last year. Last year water temps were 70 degrees... this year (same timeframe) 59. Fish we caught were mainly 30-40 feet...live bait, but had the best luck with leadcore/cranks. Fish were not hungry, mainly a reaction bite.

LR, did you catch any good size walleyes? Even any slot fish? Did you catch a bunch of those 10 inchers too? We lindy rigged and jigged the whole time on the reefs and never caught a slot fish. Mainly worked the reefs and cranberry island as I said before, 1/2 a day on the east reefs just outside of the Brule.

Hi Chris,

Crappies can be found from a mile to 35 miles from the park landing. Here are the places you will find them this time of the year. Stokes, Porters, Spawn, Rice, Marion, Hale, Black Sturgeon, American Narrows, Rat Root are only a few of the spots that hold crappies.

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

Hey Champs,

Sorry to hear about your luck. I haven't been out in the last 2 weeks but will be fishing in current this weekend. There are always walleyes to find at this time of year if you can find some flowing water.

so muskies are you talking your going to fish the river or somewhere on lake with some current i got a spot im thinking of trying this weeknd since my plans of going home to bowhunt got messed up.

I'm new to Rainy and haven't spent much time poking around yet. I know the whole system is a river, but haven't noticed much current yet. When you talk about current mainly where are you talking about? Thanks

Hi Fishhound,

Gold Portage, Kettle, Pipstone, Seine, Spawn, Canoe are just a few areas that flow into Rainy. In the Fall, walleyes congregate in the current areas looking for an easy meal. Ussually there are very few poeple out so it's quiet, peaceful and you catch a few fish.

Was at the Seine yesterday, would have thought with all the rain there would have been some flow. Basically zero. Lots of grass floating all over the mouth. Talked to a guy who has a cabin right across and said they have to open the gates to get it flowing and it only takes about 5 hours. Maybe they opened them today. Did see a bear swim across the river. Mainly dink walleyes.