• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

deer changes in area 184

winterwalleye

how does area 184 go from intensive in 1 year to lottery when dnr statistics show no big drop in pre fawn deer density. 2009 density 11-20 per square mile and 2010 density 18 .Doesn't make any sense to me.

They may be looking ahead to next year. If next year they are planning on implementing APR's they need to make sure it isn't a lottery area next year in order to avoid upsetting too many hunters. The best way to ensure that is to limit the harvest this year.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Actually, it was "managed" last year. "Intensive" the two years before. A couple of normal winters and lots of preditors (humans, wolves, and lately big cats) and the population is down. If you doubt that take a drive around north of Bemidji some evening.

I would think deer density would help in deciding how to manage deer population. If deer density stays the same I would think the regulations would be the same as the previous years.Why go from managed to lottery when populations stays the same.

Actually, it was "managed" last year. "Intensive" the two years before. A couple of normal winters and lots of preditors (humans, wolves, and lately big cats) and the population is down. If you doubt that take a drive around north of Bemidji some evening.

you hit the nail on the head. i hunt 184 also see more wolf tracks then deer on the roads. numbers are way down. i see it as habit and wolf,s. when you see at 50 different deer to 11 the next year in the same patch of woods and only 2 shot , where do they go?

• 4 weeks later...

there is no way the population is the same as two to five years ago in 184. Last year there were more wolf sightings than deer. This year I have seen a total of 5 deer in the 40 acres I hunt vs 30-40 5 years ago. Add that I'm on public land and have seen 4 additional hanging stands in a 1 acre area near where I park (yup right off the road) I'm thinking my chances are slim this year. The area farmers are also reporting a serious lack of deer sightings, more wolves and bear - no cats tho...which I'm thankful for. I not only agree with the change to lottery, I think we took too long for the change. Intensive harvest has taken its toll. If you want more does, all you have to do is go over hwy 71 east and buy a bonus tag.....change areas. Apparently there is still plenty of backstraps walking around over there. 184 needs to recover.

Also, I've heard that many of the fawns were taken this spring by predators. Maybe that's why the PRE density #'s look so good, the survival rate is lower than usual. I'm glad for the change. For me, the hunt isn't just about the kill, we've had glorious weather this fall and I've enjoyed being in the woods. I have archery and a bonus lottery tag, but i'm going to try hard to hold out for a buck and let the girls procreate, procreate, precreate.

i also hunt 184 just north of guthrie. i also dont get how they come up with the change in regulation but i was never a big fan of the "maganged" area i always felt it should have been one deer of either sex. i have seen more deer this year than last year but thats just me and 184 is a large area. i am with u wannafish deer hunting for me isnt about the killen its about the time in the wood with family and freinds.

That's a big part of it hoyt, we need to realize every year can't be a big year for all of us, appreciate the great years and realize man if 6 out of 10 are good that's not bad. Where I hunt numbers are about as low as I've seen em, might be a good thing for this winters survival as 80% of the fields in my area are being turned into black dirt so the extra browse around will help what survives the hunt as most fields won't have any food for them no matter how much they scratch.