• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

. . . last night (this is all true, not making up a thing) that I won the Powerball and got a permit from the DNR to privately stock 20,000 king salmon yearlings in Burntside for 10 years in a row.

Man, would I like to be able to do THAT!!! smilesmile

Dreams are strange. It was Mike Stark, Great Outdoors and caseymcq and I dumping the barrels full of kings into the lake. Stark had shaved and gotten a haircut and looked like my brother. Casey and Maki could barely function as stockers because they were so busy arguing over something.

I woke up too early, though. Why can't a dream span four years so I could dream about catching 15 lb kings in Burntside?

I hate smelt.

Isn't 20k per year a lot? How many trout did they stock when they were stocking trout? Or are they still?

Isn't 20k per year a lot? How many trout did they stock when they were stocking trout? Or are they still?

They stocked roughly 70,000 fingerling lakers every other year. Last year they also added nearly 1,000 adults, maybe because they decided to halt laker stocking in Burntside as a cost saving measure.

Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea to introduce another big eating predator species in the lake. They'd just end up eating laker fry and fingerlings on top of their other forage, especially salmon, which would occupy the same temperature/forage space.

Dreams no not = reality. grin

might as well keep it as a dream about salmon stocking. not sure about burntside but the dnr tried it in grindstone years ago and gave up on it. had the depth and the forage {smelt}. maby it was just not cost effective because it would have to be a put and take species for a lake with no effective spawning conditions. good luck.

might as well keep it as a dream about salmon stocking. not sure about burntside but the dnr tried it in grindstone years ago and gave up on it. had the depth and the forage {smelt}. maby it was just not cost effective because it would have to be a put and take species for a lake with no effective spawning conditions. good luck.

The put-grow-and-take aspect is exactly what attracts me in theory to king salmon. Bigger, faster-growing eating machines than coho, and no viable spawning, means they'd knock the smelt down in no time (they can't be eradicated that way). But on a lake as small as Bside, even though salmon wouldn't survive more than a few years after stocking ended, there'd need to be some other forage to take the place of all the smelt, and if the cisco/tulibee and whitefish weren't able to be stocked and to rebound, gets pretty darn complicated. The dream could easily become a nightmare. And now the spiny waterflea adds another complication to the already complicated world of invasives.

There's no way I see the DNR stocking salmon anyway. Much too expensive.

That's why it's a dream. smilesmile

Or a nightmare! shockedshocked

I wondered why I had a sore back this morning! confused

Must have been from lifting all those dip nets grin

The battle of wits with Casey didn't last long, as he was an un-armed man laughlaughlaugh

Bwaaahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

The battle of wits with Casey didn't last long, as he was an un-armed man laughlaughlaugh

Bwaaahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

And you would have still took a whoopin' laugh

If a battle of wits was compared to boxing, I'd be Muhammed Ali and your head would be a speed bag!! gringringrin

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! laugh

Ali ain't looking so quick these days.

I was referring to Ali in his prime! (Cassius Clay if you will!) laugh

But if the truth be known, one doesn't have to be too quick when debating an Irishman. gringrin

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Only way G.O. resembles Ali is in the mouth. But Ali could back it up . . . All G.O. can do is fly like a bee, sting like a butterfly. gringringrin