• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Garbage disposal won't spin

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Question

Tonight my disposal decided to quit working. Thought it was just hang up on something, but it turns freely by hand with the allen wrench.

Motor hums but it doesn't turn. Kenmore, about 10 years old.

5 answers to this question

keep spinning it around with the allen wrench, and running water down it. do at least a few revolutions. and try sticking your hand down there and trying to pull out anything stuck like a dish rag or piecee of silverware (voice of experience there). probably just something stuck in it, if you can get it to spin with the allen wrench you have most of the battle won.

If it still doesn't work, then I agree, replace it. not too complicated or expensive. good luck.

If you need to replace your disposal make sure you get the largest one you can install.The 1/2 horse ones that come standard are under powered.c63

If the motor is "humming"and getting hot,(but not turning) it's probably time for a new disposal.The windings are shot due to normal wear and tear.Ten years is pretty good for a disposal.c63

If the motor is "humming"and getting hot,(but not turning) it's probably time for a new disposal.The windings are shot due to normal wear and tear.Ten years is pretty good for a disposal.c63

Yes, I believe that is the issue since there is nothing stuck in it. Installing a new one tomorrow night.