• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

was out at 630 am..Turtle lake, wi. grunted in a small 6 pt around 730. 2 small does came by around 8. corn coming down all around.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

Out this morning breifly before work and I saw a spike with the largest spikes I have ever seen. 10"-12" at least. He was rubbing every little tree that was near him. Fun to watch him. After that all I saw was a bunch of turkeys.

I hit the stand until about 9 this morning. No deer again. Checked the camera. Lots of pictures at night but i now realize the flash on my camera is broke. Surprisingly i had pictures of 3 young bucks during daylight on the camera and all 3 were feeding in the picked beans around 11 am on different days. I then went and hung a slug stand on another property in a light rain. Seemed like a good time to do it until i jumped a big boy in the set aside along the woods. Again on this property, alot of rubs and scrapes. I have a stand on a water hole there that im going to sit tomorrow am and pm.

On a better note my friend shot a nice 8 pointer last night. I'd guess about 110". It was a nice first buck with his bow. He heard it working below him in the brush and let out 2 soft grunts and the buck came right i

Saw two small bucks going at it pretty good for about 20 minutes last night.

One of those bucks came back this morning. Also had about a dozen big toms right in front of me. I had a turkey tag in my pocket, but too many eyes for that to play out. Pretty cool though. I'll have the shotgun in there one of these days...

Went out this morning, calmer than calm when I got into the stand, about ten minutes later the wind picked up and I mean up into the 30mph range. Swirling and everything, so I moved the stand to a little better spot 75 yards away where I found a decent rub. I got out after setting up that stand. I knew I wasn't going to see much when I saw 17 deer on the way there, the last three were small bucks, spooked one walking in. I HATE WIND!

Went out tonight and passed a doe and a fawn. There was more shooting then I had expected tonight with the early doe hunt hopefully they don't get the deer to spooked.

Was in the stand at 2:30 and at 3:00 had a small 8 point heading to the corn. I thought that was a good sign as the scrapes have been popping up all over. Saw another small buck an hour later and then a fawn at end of day. Weired being cold tonight when it's 50 but the dewpoint was so high it was real damp and chilly. Trying again in the morning.

Friday night and Saturday morning yielded no deer from the stand fro me or my wife, but when we left Friday night there was a Doe and a fawn heading to her stand down a fence line as we were leaving.

After sitting in rain for about 1.5 hours this morning, I went for a drive and seen a really nice doe and a huge Buck out walking around about 10'ish.

tonight was a weird night for me. The spot I usually go was being hunted by the farmers brothers (they have priority over me). So i went to my back up spot. When i got there i noticed all the fields were tilled so hunting them was pretty much worthless. There goes my backup plan.

After re grouping, i decide today would be a good day to still hunt the valleys between the fields since it was windy. that worked pretty well. I almost stepped on a fawn, and i kicked up a doe just before that. After a while, i got tired of that kind of hunting so i found a ladder stand that had never produced anything. it was my only option, so i gave it a try. about 10 minutes in the stand, i rattled a little bit. i gave it a bit, and had 2 does walk by at about 60 yards. one was a big doe, so i climbed down and tried to stalk them for a shot.

on the stalk i got within about 40 yards. I had to get about 10 more yards to be comfortable with the shot so i stepped over a log and the little doe looked right at me. I froze, than right there, a sparrow flew out of the tree next to me and flew straight into my chest. I was stunned so i moved and before i knew it, both does were gone. That ended my night. Not how i pictured that stalk ending. It was a fun night and today will be my last day till gun season i think.

Quote:
It was a fun night and today will be my last day till gun season i think.

WHAT??? Please tell me you have something big going on......So big that you can't under any circumstance make it out to the stand over the next two weeks. Man, things are just starting to pick up.

I'll be up at college till gun season and i wont have my bow or anywhere where i can hunt. I know it's one of the best times to get out, but for the next 4 years i'll have to miss it frown

Went out this morning to set up another stand and found 4 new scrapes and a large grouping of rubs that were not there yesterday when I was out. Exciting times are around the corner!

Had a HUGE doe at 10 yards tonight. She busted me when I drew. Game over. frown

Did see some chasing tonight, had a doe fly by me at mach speed. It's amazing those spindly little legs don't snap right of at those speeds in the woods.

Quote:
I'll be up at college till gun season and i wont have my bow or anywhere where i can hunt. I know it's one of the best times to get out, but for the next 4 years i'll have to miss it

OK, you get a free pass for that one. I remeber doing that, but if you can make it back next weekend, the weather is looking awesome, but then again, I remember Halloween at college, costumes, beverages, hmmmmmm. Never mind, stay where you are.

Two words for whats happening down in my area right now: OCTOBER LULL. Never saw a deer in the stand Saturday night or Sunday night. Sunday night I hunted a freshly picked corn field, not one deer. All the trail cam picks are being taken at night. It is the calm before the storm. Supposed to be unbelievably windy the next two days. Going to hit it hard after this front goes through. High in the low 40's on Thursday.

Got out on Friday and passed on an 8 pointer. I had him at 7 and 15 yards quartering away and it was very tempting since my scouting last weekend showed that my 2 properties didn't have very good deer sign. Had a doe come out later and I would have shot her with a bonus tag but she never made it to within range.

Spent the weekend doing a ton of scouting. Was happy to see the amount of corn out. Looks like deer are moving back into my woods. Found some scrapes and rubs. Went to my river bottom property and found the deer had really moved back in after the flood. Found a nice scrape line that I will setup on next time I am out. Setup a camera over the scrape so hopefully I'll get a picture of him.

Taking the first week of November off to bowhunt.... I love this time of year.

Friday night I walked back in further than usual and found a nice creek-bottom valley that multiple bucks were working hard. Had three young bucks that night that I watched from the ridge above, one came by me at about 50yd, no clear shot. Couple does in there.

Sat. morning set up in a spot the deer cross the road into private land. Had two hunters set up 50yd and 100yd from me with their scent blowing right across the area the deer would come down the hill... great...

Sat. evening my friend arrived and we hunted my Friday evening spot. I sent him down by the creek with his ground blind, he jumped one doe going in, thought maybe he heard one later but never saw anything from the blind. I went a bit further down the valley to where a few of the deer were the evening before, but they didn't come through. Saw the smallest of the three small bucks chasing a nice doe and two fawns, they didn't come through my spot though.

Sunday morning it rained a lot, we sat the road crossing spot again even though a bad wind direction. With the rain we just figured it might help keep the scent down and we weren't staying long anyways and didn't want to hike in super far. One doe and fawn came through around sunrise but the wind picked up and blew my scent into them and they left.

Last night I went to a small grove next to recently picked corn. The previous day we were out there sighting in guns, and noticed that only 30 minutes after we were done, we had a deer coming out to feed. I figured I should return with my bow. It was misting pretty good. I drove in and two does spooked. I walked in to some hay bales next to the corn and could see 2 deer on the horizon watching me. I knelt down next to the end of the hay bales and as soon as I did that 5-7 deer began walking out into the corn field 90 yards away (150 yards from my truck!). They were just feeding. I was going to move to a slightly better location (in between bales rather than on the end), but the buck started feeding towards me. I just sat there watching. He basically spent 1 hour slowly feeding towards me. When he got to about 30 yards away, he started just walking the edge of the field towards me. I could not move, so I tried to peep around the hay bale. When I guessed he was getting close, I drew the bow and waited. I figured he would come around the bales at 10-20 yards away. He came around the corner at 2 yards. I had to move slightly to aim much higher. He spooked ½ of a second before I released the arrow. Then he bounced back about 20 feet behind the hay and snorted at me a bunch. The wind was in my face, so I figured he would circle around me to get a better look/smell. That is exactly what he did. As I turned around, he came out of the brush 25 yards away to get a better look. He stopped when he saw me, but could not decide what I was in camo with a face mask. He smelled something, but was not scared. He went broadside and looked away, I drew again, but that is when he decided just to walk back into the brush at a slow pace. It was getting dark so I decided not to take any iffy shots.

He then spent the next 30 minutes beating the [PoorWordUsage] out of all the saplings in the woods. I could see the tops of them swaying only 10-15 feet inside of the brush line.

That was a fun night.

He was a larger 6 or a smaller 8. The antlers were not much wider than the ears, so not the monster in the area.

The remaining deer I saw I know were at least 3-4 does. I was actually hoping to get one of them, but so be it. If I could have shot a deer from eye-level with a bow, without a blind I would have taken anything.

I will be back with a blind.

Hunted Friday night and Saturday morning. Saw nothing except lots of turkeys, pheasants, and a few does feeding on a picked field in the rain.

Saw 5 bucks in two days this weekend, they are starting to move. Saw a big 8 last night that is really making it hard to work this week. Off next week so I will try to track that one down. smile

Grunted in 2 bucks on Sunday morning, one did a scrape at 12 yards while looking for the "other" buck. Pretty cool

Went out in the rain Saturday, nothing much going on other than a doe right at dark. Someone moved in with a ladder stand and cut a bunch of shooting lanes so I think the area was probably messed up to begin with but its a mile back and I didn't have too many other options at the time and hunted it anyway. Oh well on to my next honey hole.

I'll be up at college till gun season and i wont have my bow or anywhere where i can hunt. I know it's one of the best times to get out, but for the next 4 years i'll have to miss it frown

Get your education!!! It'll payoff in the long run!!! The difference in pay and life style for people with a high school education vs a college degree is huge!! You have plenty of years to hunt!! Plus by the sounds of it, you will be gun hunting, so it not like you're totally cut off from hunting.

I have been enjoying the daily updates from everyone and decide I would join the conversation. I hunt in Wabasha County and have to agree that the action has been super slow the past 4 to 5 days. I sat Weds, Fri, Sat and Sun with little to show for it. There is scraps and rubs showing up like crazy but that blasted full moon most likely sent them to the dark. Things are ready to pop but have to wait just a few more days.

Passed on a nice 8 on Sunday morning but he needed another year. Nice mass and ok width but he just isn't what I'm looking for, could end up kicking myself for that one. Haven't seen any chasing yet but the fork, spike and 8 that I saw this weekend all had their noses nailed to the ground!

Bring on the cooler weather!!!!!!

Stuck a Big Doe last night.

Ate Bourbon Marinated Tenderloin for Dinner.

Got the hide of last night and butchered her this morning.

Saw Mr Drop Tine Buck, as usual he came out on the other side of the food plot within 20 yards of one of my other stands.

Have seen him 3 times this year.

Really tempted to go into his bedding area and find him, but do not want him to leave the property.

crazy

Ok time for me to chime in. Got out for the first time thursday night, Pulled the camara card and got into the stand. Nada. The big zero. Did not see any scrapes, rubs, or anything. Weird for me for this stand at this time. So sat there again Sat night. Still nothing for deer, rubs, or scrapes. Did not expect much with the full moon but still somthing. Camara is showing deer but not at any regular schedule.

Confusing I tell you.

Froggy

Hunted from dawn to dusk Saturday, spent a few hours on stand in the morning, did some still hunting from 10-2, then spent the evening hours in a different stand. Saw one tail-flash, but that was it. This was a big piece of public land near the metro however, and there was plenty of company out there. Plenty of sign around, but it seems they're hunkered down and getting nocturnal due to all the people around this time of year. Back to the drawing board next weekend ...

Finally got out tonight! Been almost two weeks since falling. No shots, but had yearlings running around with two basket racks chasing the mommas! No shots, but a fun night!

Made it out in the drizzle and rain tonight. Lots of action 4 does and fawns feeding out in front. Had a decent buck (110) walk past me pretty tempting but hopefully he goes another year. watched another small buck acting like he is top dog. The rut is getting closer. 1 Week and two days I pack up and spend some time at the shack with No Phones.

Had some fun Saturday morning!

After moving and starting a new job this summer back up north, I've been doing a lot of blind scouting and just finding spots that "look good" but not much more then that (so much woods, so little time). Well, the new life and schedule, as well as life in general have been getting in the way of my hunting this year to test them out and "learn them"; as well as the ridiculously warm weather, too, so I just haven't been out much. But, I got out Friday after work and liked the spot, but with the changing wind direction the next day, I made a quick adjustment right at dark and moved my climber over to a different tree to compensate for the east wind coming.

Well, got out early Sat AM, got busted right by my stand and got snorted at the whole time I was climbing the tree (talk about frustrating!). So I sat there kind of discouraged, but figured I had a good 40min till dawn so things hopefully will settle down. Well, as soon as shooting light came I heard some sloshing from the river below and shortly after a nice 8ptr (nothing huge, but definitely a buck I was going to stick, as it would have been my biggest) came in from right to left out of the river bottom. He totally showed up the opposite side I hoped they would. So I drew across my body, and right as he was nearing a shooting lane I went to turn to my right and my freekin elbow scraped up against the loose paper dangling off the big birch tree I climbed. Cot-tammit! He did a 180 and then held up for a minute and debated the situation, all the while, hiding behind a alder thicket 15yds away mad. He'd look up at me, look back the way he came, back up at me, then behind him and then decided to walk back the way he came... outta my life forever..... Rat-[PoorWordUsage]!

But it was still fun, and another lesson was learned. If only I would have just waited to draw until he was passing my tree I could have made a quick shot at a quartering away angle.... the perfect shot! cry I guess I got a little antsy and it was playing out just like last year did when I got my first deer with a bow.

Another thing to be hopeful for is I didn't scare him, so hopefully he keeps his pattern and I may get another chance this weekend...... hopefully!

Saw a lone doe last night but she never came into range. It was in a bonus area so I wish she would have came a little closer.

Sat again last night in the rain and NOTHING! Found a couple new scrapes so someone is busy around me but clearly not when I am there or not when the sun is up. Hoping to hunt very hard from Thur to Thur before gun season.

Starting to question my stand locations and my thought process but I keep telling myself, after the rain and full moon they will move again in the day light! Hope I'm right cause I'm going crazy!