• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

Well we had one going last year and I found it intresting and helpful to hear what was going on when we were afield also for tracking the progress of the rut later in the season, so I figured we should bring it back again feel free to post your hunting reports here.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

This moring I headed to a oak transition area where the should have feeding through on the way back to the bedding area, sounded like a good plan but nothing showed exept for tree rats. I did see a doe and fawn cross the road into the area I was hunting at 5:30 this morning when I was pulling in.

Also I was sitting in the dark this morning and I could smell something dead figured a deer must have got hit on the road and died not far away, I found the source of the smell when I was about ready to climb down about 10 feet up the tree my stand was in thier was the front leg with the shoulder blade attached of a fawn mostly just bone but enough meat to stink really bad no idea what drug it up the tree it was hooked on a pine branch like someone put it there.

The north wind on opener caught me by surprise so I had to hunt a spot in a lottery area where I had stands set for the wind. Usually I have a "go-to" spot in the early season in a managed area which produces a good number of does, but that wasn't happening with the wind. I was feeling optimistic and brought a camera along anyways. Didn't tag a buck, but caught these girls testing their luck around 9:00 a.m....

full-22671-1190-001.jpg

full-22671-1191-002.jpg

full-22671-1192-003.jpg

full-22671-1193-004.jpg

i couldn't hunt until 4:30pm today but i had a chance to run out and pull the card from my camera since i am hunting behind my house.at 7:15am this morning a nice 10 pointer came into my mineral lick i had planned on hunting.i went out there this afternoon and only saw 2 does about 6:45pm,i let them both walk.i will be out early tomorrow hoping to get a crack at the 10 or even better the big 8 that i have been getting pics of.

AM - To many turkeys to count, roosted all around me and had fun watching them come off the roost. No deer seen

PM- Dead yote at 6:10, still in the woods going to look for it tomorrow afternoon. 7:25, 1.5 yo 8 pnt under my stand for 5 min eating acorns. Ive got this deer on camera and I thought he was a 6, turns out he has lil G3 after all. Hopefully we'll meet up again in a few years.

Not the best opening day but far from my worst. Always good when your at least seeing deer.

couldnt hunt the am, but went out and checked a trail cam around noon and was able to hunt the evening. Didnt see anything but I was talking to a guy on the same area I was hunting and he missed an 8. I heard the arrow fly and snorting and him trying to grunt it back in as well. I guess thats what you get when you hunt public land. I saw a few scrapes and I talked to another guy that was hunting there and he said he saw scrapes all over too. Seems a little early to be finding that many scrapes already.

Wife hunted this AM and nothing, we went out this evening and I seen 6 total, my wife (4WheelinMama) only seen 1, but it was the 1! Should she her reaction now, her blood is super pumping!!! Said she was shaking so bad, not sure if he would have given her a shot she would have been able to take it...

I think the addiction is starting to become an obsession.

Good Luck to all and keep it going!

Matt, those are awesome pictures too!!!!

Rookie report...

In the stand at 6:10 this morning. Sat until 9 and saw nothing. I'm pretty sure I heard some deer pass about 30 yards to the south of my stand, but too thick to see in that direction. Did get the heart beating though! Had company this evening so no hunt. Back in the stand tomorrow AM.

My first bowhunting day and I am hooked without even seeing one!

FLaker

This moring I headed to a oak transition area where the should have feeding through on the way back to the bedding area, sounded like a good plan but nothing showed exept for tree rats. I did see a doe and fawn cross the road into the area I was hunting at 5:30 this morning when I was pulling in.

Also I was sitting in the dark this morning and I could smell something dead figured a deer must have got hit on the road and died not far away, I found the source of the smell when I was about ready to climb down about 10 feet up the tree my stand was in thier was the front leg with the shoulder blade attached of a fawn mostly just bone but enough meat to stink really bad no idea what drug it up the tree it was hooked on a pine branch like someone put it there.

Sounds exactly like what a cougar does. No joke.

Have you ever noticed how many deer you seem to bump or have walk by you when you're turkey hunting in the spring? laugh I would have loved all that entertainment this morning. It's embarrassing that even as an old fart, I can't sleep much the night before a morning hunt. It was my first "opener" too as I have never hunted in September until this year. Battled early morning showers and a cool breeze in the Cannon Falls area and saw nothing all morning. Still, there's nothing better than an autumn morning in the stand--except for an autumn afernoon in the stand. Unfortunately, only a short one this weekend but hoping to get out one night this week. Thanks for the "live shots", Matt. I've had lots of pics on the trail cam in my stand area, but mom and her two fawns were a no-show this morning. What kind of camera were you using?

Didn't even think about a cougar I'll just have to carry a arrow for it to finally show everyone.

Went back out to the deer leg stand tonight saw lots of tree rats and then at 6:55 I heard the walking in the leaves behind me grab the bow and waiting for it to clear the brush hopeing for a fat doe and out steps a nice 1.5 year old 7 nice and wide tall tines hang the bow back up and watch him walk through my 20 yard lane. So the opener was not my best but sure beats a sharp stick in the eye.

On a plus note I did find the deer are really hitting the alfalfa right now I have one 40 acres to the west of the house and did some mid day scouting and have 2 foot wide trails leading to it moving stands in the morning. My dad being the old retired fart he is stalks me when I'm out hunting and meets me at the truck at the end of the night, tonight while I was in the stand he was driving by and watched 4 bucks walk out of the funnel I was hunting and cross the road to a alfalfa field and when I was leaving I watched one do the same thing big deer couldn't see it's head though so I will be moveing another stand to the north to catch a big one tomorrow night.

Sat. pm. what an awesome night to be on stand. Had a red fox come by at 5 yards. watched him for about an hour. No deer saw. But heard a bunch on the next ridge over. Brother should have being in his stand

Thanks Archery Sniper, This is a nice forum. Kinda weird though that there was a piece of a deer leg in a tree.

While we were getting ready at the Cabin there was a nice 2 year old that walked right up to the cabin feeding on acorns at 3 in the after noon. That got us a little excited.

So I hit the oaks on the edge of a field. To my suprise there was not many acorns on the ground. The Deer and turkeys really cleaned them up. Seen 15 turkeys and 1 lone little buck feeding in the alalfa

Can't find an acorn to save my soul, live in the Brainerd area and I can't even see them on the trees so not sure where to look for food source but I think it makes the deer move around allot more.

Had about a dozen turkeys rousting in a tree above me opening morning that was pretty cool how they can keep there balance while they sleep. Managed to shoot a doe Saturday evening but with a follow up tracking job with a buddy this morning I was able to get her home, cooled down and ready for some processing.

Good Luck,

mr

Went out last night after work at 5pm. Saw a nice doe and too many tree rats. I'm hunting in a lottery zone and didn't want to tag out with a doe quite yet. Beautiful night though. Hoping to get out tonight after work.

Got my wife interested and set up for bowhunting spring year and plan on getting her out for the first time on Wednesday, can't wait.

Was out Sat AM and PM. In the morn. I seen one doe to far for any kind of shot. On the way back to the truck i herd something running through the beans toward me. I quick knock a arrow and to my suprise here comes a yote bounding over the rows. I made every yelp and squeek i could he would'nt stop.

Sat PM it was one of those night you could here a mouse walking from a ways off. Had two deer working my way when all the sudden they bolt. Well sure enough i knew i should have let one rip on that yote cuz he came running by again at prime time and ruined my eve. Oh ya of course he ran into the brush and never offered a shot. frown

Was out Sat Am and Pm. did not see anything am. Sat pm had doe and fawn work about 40yds. thru the brush. As i was getting out of the stand to leave I scarred two away that may have been coming my way,just could not see them as it was gettin pretty dark.

Got out on Sat morning and this afternoon. Had a doe come within 10 yards about 7am sat morning then another about 15min later passed on them to see what else was out there being I'm hunting a lottery special hunt area. Saw a half dozen more out of range.

On this afternoon's hunt decided to sit in a another spot. Made all sorts of noise carrying my climber in, didn't really expect to see much being there was a tractor driving around near me. Sat til 4 and decided to walk out of the area a different way, kicked up a basket 8 that was bed down no more than 40 yards away that no doubt watched me the whole time I was hunting. Pretty interesting...

didnt get to bed untill 2am friday night but I did manage to drag myself out of bed at 4am. me the wife and one of my sons headed out as we were aproaching are land I see a toyota tacoma parked along the road nobody in the truck. I knew this was trouble. anyway I drove to the other end of our property and dropped off the boy and then went and paked. as me and the wife were walking in towards her stand I get a flashlight to the eyes. I lost it on this guy I have no more patients for this b.s when he was done trying to appoligize in his broken english I intsructed him he had 3 minutes to collect his [PoorWordUsage] and be gone. We then precided on to the wifes ladder stand I decided that I would just sit with her we can hear the guy behind us taking his stand down told her we would just sit it out since none of the noise or commotion was going to affect the boy since he is almost 1/2 mile away. so the guy finally finishes getting his stand down and starts yelling (not in english) I knew rite away he had a buddy with him. few minutes later his buddy walks rite under us over to the first guy and they start babbling to each other. Told the wife thats it now i am really pizzed. dig out phone and speed dial the sheriff let him know what was up he says I will meet you at the vehicle give him there plate number(thanks to wife who memorized it) basically ran out to the road the two knucle heads we not there yet. they showed up a couple minutes later so I gave them the flashlite to the eyes and let them know that the sheriff would be there in a couple minutes when he showed up I told him no verball warnings this time so sick of this happening. they were delt with and I walked back to the wife. the amazing thing we did mange to see two fawns. at 9am we walked out and drove down to pick up the kid when he came up to the road he was wound tight he had an encounter with a big eight that I have a picture of from this summer so that made the morning a little better. In the evening we decided to try another piece of land that we have so me and my son headed over there and the wife hunted the piece of property across the street from the house. I seen a doe and fawn but had no clear shot they were headed to the kid so I was hoping he mite get a chance I also had a red fox come by. when I got to the truck the kid was already there big smiles he hit a buck he thought his shot was high and back a bit. After thinking about it for a few minutes I decided we should go in so he can show me were the deer was standing when he shot while it was still fresh in his mind found blood rite away marked it and backed out. Went out this morning followed the blood trail for about 75 yds and lost the blood he didnt get a pass through and we never found his arrow. At the point were we lost the blood the deer was heading towards I big nasty revine that is filled with wind falls there are literally hundreds of them. the three of us spent the entire day today looking from 6:30 this morning untill dark we looked every were on top down in the bottom nothing. I have lost deer before and it stinks but this one is really bothering me. To the point that I am on the verge of going back out tonite and keep looking. I actually think my son is handleing it better than I am. sorry carry on for so long guys.

hunted this morning and then later this afternoon.only saw a doe with a button buck fawn both times,i have a bonus tag but decided not to shoot a doe with a fawn,she is a nice big bodied doe so maybe in a few weeks when she kicks the fawn loose.

Went ou tonight and had a deer come in when it was to dark and munch acorns under the tree couldn't get down till 8:10 when it finally fed off.

Set my buddy up on the trail the 7 came from last night and had a spike come through at 6:50 and at 7:20 had a 6 come through that he ended up missing twice.

Went out Sat AM and PM and Sun AM and PM. Saw 2 bucks opening morning. 1 nice one (not sure how nice cuz he stayed 40 yards away in the brush but I saw a lot of antler) Then saw 17 does and fawns on Sunday night at a different location. Today I didn't see anything. My brother who was hunting 200 yards from where I was opening morning saw 22 deer. (This was the same stand that I sat in opening morning last year and saw 24 deer so I knew that it would be a good spot for a rookie.) He saw 4 or 5 bucks with the biggest being an 8 that stayed just out of reach and he shot just over the back of a nice 6. He later redeemed himself by shooting a nice fat doe, his first deer with a bow. (I think he's hooked.) He saw 8 sat night, 9 this morning, and 7 tonight. Had another close encounter with a big buck this morning, but again stayed just out of reach. My brother's girlfriend sat 60 yards from me opening morning where she saw 10 deer (6 bucks). She also shot at a 6 pointer and missed. She saw 12 on Saturday night, where she got busted by an 8 pointer at 18 yards. Then today her stand went cold and she didn't see a thing morning or night. Overall it was a great weekend tho with over 70 deer seen.

I was only able to hunt Sunday night, the wind wasn't right for most of my spots so I had to hike way back in to a little honey hole that can hold bucks from time to time. Had two does right under me but decided to let them walk, it wasn't worth a mile drag when I have other spots that I can shoot a doe next to the road. Wow it was nice to be out hunting again.

Wow it was nice to be out hunting again.

times infinity!

I sat dark to dark on Saturday -- you couldn't have pulled me out of my stand. What a great day to be in a tree. 30* all morning, 50s mid day and a nice wind to keep bugs away.

I didn't see anything except squirrels, hawks and crows until 7PM when a bear came in and spent some time under me.

The woods for the evening hunt were so quiet you could hear everything for 100s of yards. The moon was like a spotlight and the wolves sang to us back at camp.

Did some still hunting Sunday morning just to practice being quiet. Didn't see anything but am always amazed at the amount of deer sign in our area.