• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

I think with the fast death of the woods, the deer are much more heavily in the corn. I have noticed alot less deer in the woods the last couple of times out. On the one farm where most of the corn is picked, I still see deer pretty regularly. The farmers are working pretty much non-stop down here, lots of corn leaving on a daily basis. Looks like they are having a good harvest also, both in yield, and weather. Remember to watch for those wagons and combines on your way to and from the stand, especially at night, they aren't always lit up.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

Man I wish they harvested corn up in NE MN, those bucks have an unlimited supply of "corn" year round. Actually most of it is much thicker than corn.

Just talked to my dad who got a call from a friend (truck driver). At 10:30am this morning he spotted 2 big bucks chasing different does out in fields about a mile apart from each other.

Funny but when I had to scrape the windows on the car this morning my first thought was, "I wish I were on my bow stand this morning."

Sometimes I hate it when I'm right!!!!

Quote:
LOL trig, Your not saying you walked into one are you?

No, but I have seen cars plowed into the back of them....

Archery stud, I think its going to be an early rut this year.

Archery stud, I think its going to be an early rut this year.

Trigger,

You may be right. I'm surprised to hear of two big boys out at that time of the day on 10/15.

Last evening was very slow in the stand for me but earlyer this week my mother had told me she saw 3 large bucks cross the road ahead of her after dark on her drive home from work. Still wating for some pre rut action odd to see 3 big boys together hopefully with this cooler weather things will start to shape up.

Got out this morning, prety quiet until 8:15 then had a small 7 point walk past.. Other than him and 3 toms that's all I saw. Gonna hit it tomorrow eve and Sun morn..It sure felt nice to have some nip in the air this morn!

I'm thinking the rut is going to start early, and go a little longer, but be less intense. Saw lone does without fawns for the first time last night also, probably a sign the does are getting ready.

I'm thinking the rut is going to start early, and go a little longer, but be less intense. Saw lone does without fawns for the first time last night also, probably a sign the does are getting ready.

I was thinking the same thing about the does last night when I was hunting. I have had the same doe and 2 fawns bedded about a hundred yards from my stand about every nightg I have sat there and last night it was just her no fawns.

These early does are just outliers on the bellcurve. It'll continue to grow until it reaches the peak during the 2nd week of November & then wind down again through early December. Same as last year, the year before that, and 100 years from now. The MN firearm season dates weren't pulled out of a hat ya know! laugh

It would be nice to have an early one though wouldn't it? Being able to bowhunt the rut before the orange army invades... wishful thinking.

Have to agree with you Trigger. Everything I have seen and read says this will be a very long rut period with peaks and valleys. The Full Moon in Nov isn't until the 2nd to last week or somewhere around there and supposedly that is very late for the Nov full moon and will affect the rut somehow. My eyes got glazed over when it was explained to me with all the technical stuff......what I actually heard was...blah, blah, blah,......early and long rut....blah, blah, blah.

Just look at the way the whole year has went, Spring;two weeks early, Summer; two weeks early, Fall, two weeks early?

These early does are just outliers on the bellcurve. It'll continue to grow until it reaches the peak during the 2nd week of November & then wind down again through early December. Same as last year, the year before that, and 100 years from now. The MN firearm season dates weren't pulled out of a hat ya know! laugh

It would be nice to have an early one though wouldn't it? Being able to bowhunt the rut before the orange army invades... wishful thinking.

Stick you nailed it IMO. Every year someone sees some early chasing/breeding and everyone thinks the rut is early or this or that. Its a marathon from now through Dec and the bellcurve describes it perfectly, peaking in mid November every year, year after year. No peaks or valleys except maybe that little hump mid December when we you get a little of that 2nd rut action but that is few and far in between. Now that is not to say your specific area couldn't have a peak or valley if you see activity or some of the doe's using your land come into heat early or late because that can and does happen but the rut as a whole starts and peaks about the same time every year.

The only thing thing the colder weather plays into the rut is when it's hot the does don't want to move during daylight wich causes less rut/breeding sightings colder weather the does are more likely to move during the day wich accounts for more rut activity being witnessed by us. It's all on the amount of day light.

saw a tree rat, dig out an acorn out of the ground, right under mystand. i wonder how he knew it was their? Other than that a blister on my foot and no deer. good to be out though.

Not much tonight until 6:50, first set of horns I seen this year, spike buck came out to feed, then he stayed around til it was waaaaaaayyyyy dark.

Need his daddy to stop by one of these days.

I can say this, the rut is not going down here at all. When it hits, a buck will come and work his way around the field edges and leave scrapes every 50 feet. Nothing like that yet. Again had multiple does in the field last night with no buck sighting. Here's to another week of waiting. It certainly feels like an October lull.

I was out yesterday morning and watched a young 6-point at 50 yards starting to make his scrape line. He's got 2 in the area that I've found so far. This was in the middle of the woods off an old 4-wheeler trail. I've never found anything on it before. Have some decent rubs showing up in another spot I hunt as well. No does though. I can't figure out where they've gone. Normally, where I'm sitting is a highway for them to head to their bedding area.

got out yesterday am for a few hours, saw one 6 pt. come in on my scent trail. walked right through my shooting lanes as i had hoped but kept on walking. sure wish i could get his dad to do the same thing. left the stand at about nine to go work for a few hours. then came back out at around 4, for the evening sit. perfect night in the woods, with a small doe playing games with me. she came in on the scent trail also and walked a complete circle around me stopping with her head down in all of my shooting lanes. would like to see a bigger one for my bonus tag but if she keeps up those kind of actions she may not make it long out there. hopefully tonight will bring some luck...

Got out and sat from 4:30 til 7 tonight. Beautiful night to be out in the woods, even better night for the deer. Didn't see anything. Setup on an oak ridge that borders a tamarack swamp. Staging area before the deer head out to the alfalfa and corn fields. Don't know where they are, but nothing showed before it got to dark to shoot. Talked to a couple in the parking area who were hunting over the food plots and they had been on stand since 2:30 and neither of them saw anything either.

went out this afternoon around 4 and hung another stand on a ridge that is overlooking a draw that some deer have started to move through. Didn't see anything during shooting light but after light a few moved through right below me so I had to stay put for a while longer than I had hoped. Hopefully tomorrow morning will bring some luck.

A friend sat out tonight in another stand of mine, about 200 yds from where I was and had a small buck chase a doe through with his nose on the ground. he said the buck was grunting the whole time he was running through. it's almost time now!

Was out tonight, turtle lake wis. Had a fork and 6 pt go at it for about 30 mins. 6 pt. chased fork off and bedded down next to my stand. Late night for me getting out of the woods also.

I've been waiting for a few weeks to have something to report. Went out tonight to a new stand location and got busted by a nice doe feeding just behind my stand. I sat for 30 minutes and put out two doe bleats and followed that up with a couple of soft grunts and say back. About an half hour later, I had a doe and two fawns come out into the picked bean field and walked right at me when they heard a dog barking off to the north. The doe led the way but didn't pause once she hit the trail in front of me, so I sat back down and waited. With ten minutes left I heard something off to my right and assumed that it was the doe circling back with her fawns to head back into the bean field and the newly harvested corn field to the east of the bean field. I stood up and clipped onto my loop. A flick of a white tail and out popped the 8 point I had caught on my camera two weeks earlier on the same trail at the same time. grin My shutout was finally over!

He took two steps and stopped suddenly, and I thought he had winded me. Instead, a semi was heading back to the picked corn field for another load, and my shooter buck turned and headed back into the woods. cry

It's going to be hard to stay off that stand, but I'm going to let it sit for another week and move to another stand on the north end of the property. He's not going anywhere, and he's going to start chasing before too long.

I'm just hoping that the rest of the corn will be harvested soon. I'm surrounded by it.

Took my son out in the blind friday evening. Sat on an alfalfa field. Saw over 15 does/fawns/small bucks comeing and going. Saw a decent 6 pointer work on a little scrape. Really fun to watch. Saturday Morning I sat back on a ridge and saw a doe and 2 fawns come through. always fun to watch the fawns. They always come right to the stand.

Nothing too crazy to report from this morning other than a large owl in my tree when I got in my stand this morning. Didn't hear the thing but saw its shadow as it flew down from above me. I also saw that an old scrape that I noticed a few weeks ago has had a visitor. Time to move a camera down there to see what's visiting.

Went out friday afternoon and saturday morning and saw nothing. They are really picking the corn in the area. Even more rubs and scrapes have shown up. I put a camera up right in the middle of it all to see whats tearing things up.

Ok hear we go... Friday night saw nothing, Saturday morning saw nothing, Saturday night saw 5. 2 does and 3 fawns. Sunday morning saw nothing but went for a walk to see what's been going on in the area kicked up 10 deer... 1 very nice buck. Yes it may be stupid that I went trampling through the woods, but today was my last day that I am allowed to hunt this woods until after opening weekend of rifle. The lull continues up in Frazee. Did notice 3 fresh scrapes and sure wish I could have seen the buck I kicked up near my stand instead of in the swamp.

I hit the stand Friday night and didn't see anything. It is in a big woods with oak ridges and bedding cover all around me. Saw a half dozen new rubs along the way which makes the time on stand a bit better. Fished Saturday a.m. on the Croix and the fishing was mighty good. Sat in a woods where I had seen a couple nice bucks early in the season but the bean feilds on 3 sides are picked and plowed under and only saw owls, red headed woodpecker, downy woodpeckers, a hawk and a ton of squirrels all looking for walnuts. Sat this evening in the same stand as Friday night. Climbed up, got my gear stowed and settled in by 4. 430 had a doe pass by out of range, 445 I catch a glimpse of movement and a lone doe is working her way towards me and as if on cue, she stops in my shooting lane 25 yards out. I let fly, good hit, can see the blood pouring out she cruises past a deadfall and I lose sight of her but here some flailing in the grassy swap just to the west of me. Sat for about 20 minutes, got curious and went down and found my arrow, good blood, good sign, easy tracking, found her piled up in the grassy swamp 50yards from my tree. Made it home just as the vikes game was ending. Some nights you just get a feeling grin

Tunrevir~