• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

Shot a doe today at 7:45am. Last three weekends have been the same with does at about 8am. Haven't seen a deer in the evening, but only out twice for that.

Tonight I decided to hunt the south edge of the corn field along the creek bottom. At 6:30 I could here deer moving around in the thick willow brush. At 6:45 I look down in the swamp grass down by the willows and I can see a head with antlers sticking out of the willows use my binocs and can see he is a decent 2-1/2 year old 8. While he is standing there 2 doe's step out and start coming my way and the 8 runs out and starts pushing the does nose right up their hindend the does didn't like that very much and started running circles thru the swamp with him on their heels lots of fun to watch. I could here more feeding in the corn and had one I drew on wasn't sure if it was a doe or a button it was 4 rows in the corn and getting dark.

moved one of the stands to a ravine where there are 4 intersecting trails within 20 yards. Nearby one of the trails crosses the fenceline from the oak woods into the hay field, and there was a ton of hair on the fence, so i was feeling really good about the spot

needless to say, I sat all evening and all i saw were 7 million squirrels. these were the only defined trails in the entire 60 acre piece... and i know there are a ton of deer around, we jumped some the day before bedding less than 100 yards from my stand. this warm weather sure isn't helping...

I still haven't hunted. Kind of tough being a hockey coach and bow hunter at the same time.

I hope to get out at least once by Sunday evening. If not I will be doing a whole of scouting at a minimum.

Well first time out in over a week and a half. Just to darn warm and wrong winds.

Thought it would be good tonight with the front moving in. But much to my surprise nothing!!! Not even squirels.

Anyone else out?

Went out over the weekend, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings. Between four hunters in different locations we didn't see a thing. The heat had them coming out pretty late at night.

was out tonite didnt see anything while I was on the stand didnt even hear anything. went to check another piece of property about five miles down the road from were I was. Corn is out I have been waiting for this there is a buck that goes close to 200" that lives on the ridge across from this property I have laid eyes on him twice from the road. now its game on time to bring fred(decoy) out and see if I can lure him onto my side of the road..

Wasn't hunting but had a young buck goofing around in the back yard this morning. The cool air must have given him a shot of testosterone because he was bouncing off the trees running all over the place.

Sat Sunday evening and saw nothing. Sat Monday night and saw a fork, 2 does, 3 yearlings, and 4 fawns (in central MN). Went out Tuesday morning with my brother. He saw 5. A fork, a little six, and 3 does. I had a buck grunting at me in the thick brush but never came out (in central MN). Sat Tuesday night and saw a doe and 2 fawns and a yearling. Had a bunch more movement in the thicker stuff behind me. (In Frazee, MN) Made 5 mock scrapes on Tuesday hoping to jump start a little territorially rift in the woods. can't wait to check the cameras!!!! Crunch time is nearing. About 2 weeks!!!!

Sat. Tue. night for the first time in a couple weeks. 1 doe and a spike buck came out in the alfalfa. 1 doe and fawn came into it just before dark. It was windy out and I figured I would not see much, but it was nice just to get out after that last hot spell. The bucks sure have the ares tore up, scrapes and rubs popping up everywhere. Gonna be a intresting rut with the corn starting to come off. There sure seems to be an abundance of deer in the area.

One thing that always suprises me is the amount of 1 1/2 bucks. after the end of the season last year you would of thought that there was only 1-2 fawns left in the area but all of a sudden there is 5-6 young bucks running around.

Well....my sickly son made a miraculous recovery from being sick during school, so I grabbed my gear and headed out about 530 tonight. Thought I would get setup and just try some rattling and grunting, just a little practice before the rut kicks in full bore. Did a few grunts and little tickling with the rattle bag and had something come in off to my right in the thicket, but could not get a visual to see what it was. That was the excitment for the night until I got out of my blind and started to pack up, I hear a noise, spin around and there is a guy climbing out of his tree stand about 50 yards up the ridge. Didn't even see him when I came in and setup. Felt like a complete [PoorWordUsage] So I walked out and waited in the parking area for him to apologize for screwing up his hunt. Very nice guy and wasn't upset with me screwing around with the rattle bag, in fact he was hoping I would rattle one up for him. All turned out good, as I have had experiences with other people who wouldn't have been so nice about it.

sat last night with several flat tops around me, I can say with confidence that I finally have my scent control down to a science. These deer were literally under my stand eating the grass between my ladder steps and two very mature does down wind 10ft with no clue, I was overly impressed.

I purchased some 3D leafy camo pattern cover up this fall from GM and I think that's been the ticket for blending in with my trees. Deer moved in and out of bedding area for an hour before and after light, had something behind me hang around well past dark and wouldn't leave so it was another late night climbing down.

mr

Ahh meat-Run, you just jinxed yourself. Your gonna get over confident and that big buck is going to wind you.

ha,ha your probably right but as it's looking now the big guy seems to have pulled a magic trick and vanished from the country. Haven't seen hair nor bone of him since Sept 10th so he could have easily just move on.

mr

I went this morning for a quick hunt. Saw a spike and then 2 yearlings. With all the leaves about gone I am moving my stands farther away from the field edges into mid woods funnels area.

Had something really odd happen last week and wondering if anyone else has heard of this?

Set up the protable in a new tree with nice view to front and sides of hay field and the end of a windrow funneling traffic within 15 yards, with a grove that has a swamp behind me.

Heard noise coming my way from the swamp. Noise stopped at least 40 yards away through thick cover and could not see anything over my shoulder, so gave 2 wheeze and a snort. Got a single snort in reply but no motion.

After a few minutes I heard motion coming closer, but with the wind direction I would be sniffed out if it came into my shooting lane. Since there was only one dead branch in my way for a clear shot at the area it should appear, I took a chance that it would snap with one quick pull. I got the snap I was looking for, but did not snap off. It only bent further down into my shooting lane...got angry because the branch raked through other branches making tons of noise I didnt plan on. I probably sent the deer running and grabbed the branch and gave it 5 or 6 good tugs up and down before it came free, making a ton more noise...and threw it to the ground knowing I screwed that one up royally.

Within 30 seconds, a set of antlers were tearing up a small bush or shrub from where the motion sounds came from.

I know it could have been an unrelated antler polishing, or a buck making a new scrape and marking the limbs above it. But the timing certainly gave me the feeling it was a testosterone related bush bashng in response to breaking off that limb.

Anyone else have (or heard of) this happening?

Oh, and I never did get a visual on the buck. He wandered back into the swamp.

The FishLocker

When some people rattle, they break brush, stomp on the ground, and basically raise a major ruckus. Evidently the buck did not see you or smell you. Had he had any indication that you were there, I think he would have bolted.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooh, I think you p^$$ed him off and it was the buck, I think you have a buck just getting worked up which is a good thing for you.

mr

Cool story, I agree after the snort wheeze and branch stuff he thought you were another buck and was pizzed off. He might have caught just enough of your wind to know something wasn't right and headed back into the swamp.

One of the guys I hunt with was working on a stand one time, breaking branches, hammering, making all kinds of noise. Suddenly he hears something behind him and see two bucks sparing, they went at it for a few minutes and moved on. I am kind of thinking they were investigating all the noise and decided to get into a little battle.

I've been out 3x and have yet to see a deer.

I checked our 3 trail cams today. 2 of them only had a couple of pics, but the 1 cam on the 1 acre food plot had 65 pics in 7 days. I have the camera set to take a pic every minute so alot of pics are of the same deer. Of the 65 pics, 61 of them are during darkness. This past Tuesday night the deer were on the food plot at 6:30 pm and there were 2 pics from 7:30 am.

On a side note, a couple of fresh scrapes showed up on a different food plot, around the same clump of basswoods, where they show up every year. I put a cam on them and am anxious to see what visits the scrapes. Granted, it will probably be after dark, but hopefully one of the 3 shooter bucks were saw in July/August will be on the cam. Once they shed their velvet, they've been MIA on the cams.

Good Luck eveyone!

Brian

Very windy tonight,but I really wanted to check the camera and see if I had any pictures. There was doe feeding by herself in thewaterway where I parked, there was also a doe between the cornfield and woods when I was walking out to my stand, could have been the same deer. No other deer besides it (them).

Checked the camera, almost all the deer out there are moving at night. Only one or two day pictures. I never hunted yesterday, even though my gut told me to, and even my cousin stopped by and told me I should really get in a stand, I had a meeting and couldn't make it. So anyway, I don't go out and he walks by, I am off by a day on the camera.

full-6133-2175-buck1.jpg

Feels more like a kick in the nads than a gut shot, but I get what you mean, you guys are too funny grin. He will still be out there in a coule of weeks. That pic is about 50 yards from my stand, and he is heading right at it.

Trigger, Id be out there this week if it were me. Weather is supposed to be pretty close to same all week if im not mistaken. But your right hes not going anywheres

10/13 sat the evening and had 1- 6 point at 20 yards at 6:35, only deer seen.

10/14 evening got settled in by 5 with strong winds, winds started to die off around 6, At 6:15 heard them coming towards me. 6:20 second doe of the season is down. She walked directly under stand, offered a perfect quartering away shot at 10 yards. She ran 30 yards stopped and literally just tipped over in her tracks. I sure like it when the shot is right and they do that.

Oh she had at least 4 others with her that were behind her when I shot her one a small 4 point and the rest does.

Hey Trigger. Nice looking buck! He must be pretty large because that body is small compared to that rack. Good luck getting him! My boys and I are going out tonight to the ground blind north of the cities. There are a couple rubs (yes, rubs) within about 30 yards of our blind. Finally, better weather!

I sat for an hour this AM and saw nothing. There is good sign around, but my stand has gone dead!?!? I hope things get active for me soon. I hunt a wooded funnel between a swamp and a corn field (unpicked). Earlier in the season it was used as a staging area and I saw plenty of deer.