• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

I said that at work and everyone looked at me like I killed a puppy.

Funny. I usually tell people I am ready for summer to be over mid-july and I get some goofy looks.

Will try and get out tonight if my basement ever quits filling with water. I agree with Bottom Bouncer, SEMN is kind of a mess right now.

The creek I crossed going to my stand Wednesday evening in knee boots was only navigable by boat last night. Amazing.

With the nine inches of rain we just got all of my stands are under water and will be for a long time. Just hope the water goes down by the time the rut hits. Otherwise it is time to find some new land to hunt.... Hoping for a dry october

I would of bet the quiver on the deer moving tonight but didn't see a thing, got a little wind burn though.

sat this morning in one of my faithfull spots stuck a doe. because of the high water half of my stands would be better suited for duck hunting.

Dear bow stand log I get up at 4:00 this morning to go hunting. In tyhe stand by 5:30. And it starts raining at 5:45 why does mothernature hate us??? To top it off she makes sure I am awake she sends a coon up in the stand with me tell yah what I am awake for sure now. I hunted last evening seen 4 does a a. Forker. Nothing shot though 2 does were right below my stand I sure like when they do that. Sorry if this is hard to understand but I am ding on my phone. Shoot straight everyone and good luck

Spent Friday Evening in the stand.

Saw 35 deer, mostly does and fawns with a few spikes and fork bucks.

Spent 6 hours this morning in a different stand on the same property trying to ambush Mr Drop Tine Buck going to feed or going back to bed.

Saw 12 deer all does and fawns.

Been as many as 50 deer in the 40 acre food plot this week.

Mr. Drop Tine has not made an appearance yet.

Here we go {fingers crossed}

CLEARING SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO DIP

INTO THE 30S OVERNIGHT. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO DROP INTO THE

LOWER TO MIDDLE 30S WITH FROST FORMATION LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT.

sunshine and frost in the AM... I just might rattle a bit in the morning.

just have to wait to see if it'll be my teeth or the horns.

I figured they would be moving tonight but didn't see any out and about. The guy that hunts the bean field south of my house had the 4 wheeler out of his truck tonight though. That usually only means one thing.

Man, this is seriously gnawing on my brain to not be out yet. Too much carp going on though.

It's down to: If I don't paint tomorrow, it ain't gettin done this year. If I don't study, I'm not passing the test on Tuesday.

Hopefully I'll talk myself into worrying about those things while I'm on stand tomorrow. wink

Made it out last night, had a group of at least 7 deer pass by me, no shots offered. hunted the bluffs overlooking the zumbro river. Where corn and bean fields were, there is now a lake. Was hoping that maybe a water weary buck would be wondering the hillside. No way those big zumbro bottom deer are still down there unless they have a snorkel.

Mental note, with all the rain we have been having and the ground being so saturated. My scent trail to the stand might as well have been a neon sign.

The willey lead doe blew when she crossed my path, ignoring the rubberboots, newly washed clothes, and half bottle of scent killer spray. The mosquitos are still nasty, thank god for the wind.

I now only pump out my basement every 10-12 hours. So things are looking up.

I didn't get out Friday but saw a lot of deer moving around about 1.5 hours before dark.

I picked up a doe tonight, a few other deer on their feet as well but no racks to be found. I also must say I love the online registration, I was even impressed at how easy it was.

The willey lead doe blew when she crossed my path, ignoring the rubberboots, newly washed clothes, and half bottle of scent killer spray.

This has happened to me plenty of times too, both mature bucks and does. This year I said heck with it and you know what its great!!! No more putzing around and freaking out about everything scent, I just hunt the wind and don't even worry about being clean. I've come to discover that no amout of scent control I do is going to stop a mature deer from busting me.

I will say I plan I going scent free during the rut, several times I have fooled some does downwind, sometimes the bucks have busted me and other times I got them before they had a chance to, or they were on a hot doe and not thinking clearly.

got in my stand tonight at 5:10 and at 5:20 had a doe come in from behind me she was eating leaves around the base of my stand,then she wandered off.i wasn't planning on taking her even if i had a shot.that was the only deer i saw which isn't normal i always seem to have several come by in the evening.this was my first time out in 4 days.

I just hunt the wind and don't even worry about being clean. I've come to discover that no amout of scent control I do is going to stop a mature deer from busting me.

I will say I plan I going scent free during the rut,

I've also had the same thing happen last year.

A doe with twins come through last day of the season....as soon as they stepped across my path a yearling stopped dead in it's tracks on the trail and acted like it ran into a brick wall, turned and blew them all out of there.

So I make it clear of their travel corridor going the long way around.

Hopefuly it pays off this year.

I hunted the Grand Rapids area over the weekend. I saw ZERO deer from my stand all weekend. I did however see nine deer and I was bumping them everywhere I walked.

I crept up on a doe and fawn Saturday, got within 30 yds but no shot at the doe with too much brush in the way.

Yesterday morning when I came back to camp I had just un-nocked my arrow when I looked up and there was a deer standing 15yds away from me right behind the outhouse.

All in all it was a beautiful weekend and I'm optimistic about the number of deer around. With the bright moon they were out in numbers each night to feed in the neighbor's field.

Sat. night seemed all to perfect maybe thats why I did'nt evan see a deer. Sunday morning i decided to do a little still hunting. I was able sneek within 30 yrds of a doe, but decided to let her walk.

All in all this year is starting very slow for my dad and I. As far as deer sightings go.

I sat Saturday night and thought that would be a good night. I saw 0 deer. However, a guy who hunts the same area with me (75 yards away)shot a fawn and saw 2 basket racked bucks. I offered to help him drag it out, but he said he could get it alone.

Slow going in Wisconsin for me. Saturday morning I only had one doe come by in the dark about 15 minutes before shooting time. Saturday night no luck at all even though I thought I had a great spot. Sunday morning I moved again and had three deer come by, two in front at 50yd and one behind that I couldn't see.

Leaving town for Montana this coming Friday, won't be on the deer again til mid October.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Sat & Sun were very nice days to be out in the woods. Perfectly still, sunny and warm. I have been waiting for a nice fat Doe since the fig is empty. My cam has had about 200 shots of Doe's day and nights since being out for 3 weeks now. And 3 of us didn't hardly see a tweety bird for two days. frown Full moon maybe? confused

I sure got out smarted by a big doe last night. This was the smartest deer I have ever seen. She never winded me, but totally knew where I was. I hunt a nice pinch point and there was no way for a deer to get through there without presenting a shot. Or so I thought. After walking back and forth over 100 yards, this doe decided how she was going to get through. She ended up finding a row af trees that were 35 yards from my stand. She patiently walked from tree to tree never presenting a shot. The entire time she was looking right at me. Amazing! That just goes to show that a big Matriarch doe is equally as smart as a big buck. Especially on public land that get moderate pressure. My hats off to her.

Got out for the first time this weekend. I was hunting houston county and the deer were on the move. It was beautiful weather and just a blast to be out in the treestand. Acorns were definately the hot-ticket item. I saw 6 deer in two days and ended up taking a doe yesterday morning.

Well I'm on the board. Took a doe last night at 6:45 on the new stand I set up last Thursday where they've been leaving their bedding area.

She came into my food plot at 6:20 munching away on the fresh clover I planted just for her. After 5 min of her feeding, the owner comes out to start bbq'ing for there supper. She notices him moving around in his back yard and watches for what seamed like 5 minutes until she decided 300 yards was to close for her to be comfortable and she trots away, right back where she came from. "Which was by the way the complete opposite side of where I thought she would be coming from". 15-20 min go by and here she comes again but from a little further south (closer to me now) in the food plot, still looking toward the landowners house but now hes not visible due to the lay of the land, she's gradually feeding right towards me.

At 30 yards broad side thats close enough,I draw and let the arrow fly. My first reaction at the shot was it was a little low, but good left to right. She jumps when the arrow hits her, stops at 40 yards and looks around, not knowing what happened, then stumbled just a little, and trotted back to the same trail she had entered the field from the first time. From the time of her stumbling to her trotting back into the woods was at the most 5 seconds, but during that time i was able to see the exit side of the arrow and expected to see a blood stain forming on her side. But I wasn't able to see it like i thought I would. Oh there was a small dark spot there, but not what I was hoping to see.

I gather my composure going over the scenario that had just happened. I sit for 20 min,let my bow down and climb out of my tree and recover my clearly visible blinking arrow and see what it says. Dark thick blood, Hum? I would have thought it would have been bright and foamy.

I knew the exact trail she had taken, but as I always do I began trailing her from the point of the shot, I find very little blood in the 75 yards she had ran into the woods. I stop where the trail enters the woods and began scanning the foliage for blood. Maybe 2 minutes of me searching the taller grass and I hear her run off, breaking branches as she goes. Now I'm pi--ed at myself for even going near where she entered the woods with such a scant blood trail. All I could do now was give her some time and hopefully be able to find her in the morning.

I immediately leave the field knowing i just screwed up big time. Stop and tell the owner, who is still out grilling that I had just hit one and Id be back in the morning to find her.

Well after a long night of worrying and wondering I'm glad to say she didn't go another 50 yards from where I jumped her. I did the right thing in letting her lay over night. She bleed very little from the shot to where i finally found her laying against a dead tree(maybe a tea cups worth) Shes officially checked in (online and man is that slick), and in the cooler.

One thing to note. What I thought was a low lung shot was in fact a liver shot and I should have excepted that upon inspection of the arrow. But based on what I thought I seen. I would have bet lots of money on where I thought I hit and id be paying someone on that bet. TRUST what your arrow says, not your eyes.

Good post Mabr.

I finally did get out to the new propery yesterday for a walk and a night sit. I found a spot that would do after testing the wind in a couple other spots and seeing I needed to keep going.

I set up in a transition of mixed soft woods and pines. The other side of the pines was a large native grass field.

About 6:15 two yearlings showed after my hearing them for quite some time. They browsed from the soft woods toward the pines in no particular hurry on just about everything out there. The leaves are ripe and must be sweet right now because they grabbed anything and everything and never stopped eating.

They passed at about 8 yards. I didn't shoot for a number of reasons but one being I could hear another deer coming yet. About 6:30 a big mature doe showed herself coming from the same direction and browsing just as heavily. She decided she didn't need to go any further and bedded at 32 yards from my tree to chew her cud.

We watched the woods together until it got dark. She started browsing on the leaves within reach of her bed, not wanting to get up. What finally did get her up was her coughing jag. Something must have gone down the wrong tube. wink

At 8 I finally had enough and began taking down my stand. She was on her feet but just hung out and watched me until I hit the ground then trotted off about 20 yards and just hung out. I packed up and left.

So I figure if the deer aren't moving much right now it's because they don't have to. The forest is ripe and food is everywhere.

Was out Saturday evening. Several does up and walking about 30 minutes before end of shooting. I had a tree that was 30 yards away. I told myself that I would not take a shot beyond that tree. So, of course, two mature does come walking down a trail that I recently spotted...about 3 feet from the far side of the tree. So, no shot.

The wind was a pain. Slight breeze into my face turned into no wind at all. For everyone who talks about rubber boots, I am not sure why they are recommended. I have had these boots for 4 years, and they still smell like rubber. I can cover them all I want in scent spray, but they still stink. I think I was busted by several deer inside the tree line because of lingering scent.

I still have not seen many bucks at all, even on trail cameras. Lots and lots of does, and 3-4 spikes. No mature bucks.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

mabr

Good to hear your on the board and put some in the freezer. And here I thought that maybe the deer would have been going for the acorns in the oak grove I was setup in 10 miles from any town in all directions in the middle of the woods!. confused They must have liked what you had to offer, so maybe I have to break out the grill and light it up next time! laugh

Shhhhhh. New pattern = smoking grill scent!

My plot is surrounded with oaks on 2 sides and swamp on the other. Not alot of land at 40 acres but its a natural travel coridor between bedding and feeding. Now im getting them to stop and feed on my lil 1 acre plot i planted. Should only get better as the preasure from the neighbors pushes them into the swamps.

You'll get yours leech, you know that just takes time.

Been hunting paper land in northern WI. Been seeing deer just about everytime out. Mostly does and a spike. Evening seems to be best. Only seen 1 spike the morning I hunted. Hunted this evening, saw 2 doe and a coyote.

Had an interesting experience last wednesday evening. The spike buck that I've been seeing chased off a couple of does. When he caught the yearling, he hooked his antlers under her belly and threw her about 10 ft through the air. Never seen that aggressiveness this far before the rut.

Have seen a couple nice 8s on the camera. Mostly coming through at night though.