• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

Frustrating opening weekend for me and The Girlfriend, who sat it the ground blind with me to experience her first bowhunt. Got set up and brushed in Saturday morning just as planned and at 7:40 had two does come right down the trail I expected them to. (I only took up bowhunting last year, so I was prepared to shoot an opening weekend doe to both get some venison in the freezer and get on the board with my bow.) Put the bead on the larger of the two does at 17 yards, and realized there was a twig covering the vitals. Didn't want to risk it, un-drew and got busted. I made a noise and got her to stop RIGHT next to a tree I had my GF range at 32 yards an hour earlier. I settled and put a good shot on her, but never saw where the arrow went, because she was back-lit terribly by the sun just clearing the trees behind the open corridor I had the blind in.

We waited for about 20 minutes before getting out of the blind to see if we could find the arrow. As soon as we got out, we got busted by another doe who was hiding in the brush at 15 yards. She went nuts - came out of the brush and snorted at us, for what seemed like an eternity, before trotting off, over a hill and stopping and snorting again - right where I had last seen the doe I shot. Found the arrow right next to where he was shot - covered in what sure looked like lung blood.

We backed out, got breakfast, and came back just over an hour later. We trailed her for a few hundred yards, where she gave up a dinner-plate size puddle of blood in a thicket - looked like she stood there for awhile. Not another a single drop of blood anyway near it, however. We looked for five hours for her, or for sign of more blood. Nothin. I get that this happens sometimes, but I'm baffled. This'll stick in my craw for awhile.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

Hit a public area known for recreational use of land especially for those who love to go horseback riding.. Where I got busted by a dandy 1.5 or 2 year old buck last year. Set up in my ol tree from last year in the late afternoon.

Man, there were shots popping off on all ridges around me. Squirrel hunters, I would assume. Even saw some of them in blaze orange comin through my area. Even saw some horseback riders who went off of the trail.. And then a grouse hunter with some labradors.. What a circus.. Anyhow, I only sat up there for about 1 hr til I had enought. Went down to a ravine where I found a nice tree for my Summit sit & climber. Got up about 15 ft and directly across from me was someone else's vacant treestand that's been there for who knows how long. Anyhow, I decided to stay put til end of shooting time. Nothing.. Heard a few more shots up high. Highlight of the evening was nice though.... Nearly got my hand torn off by a hawk when I was texting. It must've thought my hands were a squirrel. Got down and back to the car with barely any light. Last car in the lot, actually.

Public land. Better than work, nonetheless..

Thu PM - Go to do some last minute checks on my stands, and while up there messing around a basket 8 comes by. I leave that stand and head to another spot to brush in a duck blind for the youth hunt on Sat and as I am leaving there I come face to face with a little 6 pt.

Sat AM - I end up goose hunting as my daughter decided not to do the youth hunt this weekend. I jumped a deer on the way out to hunt early morning, I get a goose at 7:00 and as I am heading back at 8:00 I run into the same little 6 pt in about the same spot as Thu PM.

Sat PM - I had out to my stand and jump one on the way out, then I see 8 more deer that night. I had a fork by me for over an hour (guessing), then saw a few does and other small bucks (basket racks). At last light I did see a nicer 10 that I would have shot, but he didn't give me the chance as he stayed out at 40 - 50 yards. A great start to the season and as much as I would of liked the 10 to come closer he wasn't a real monster and I am glad I didn't end it on the first night of the season. Hopefully I meet up with him again.

Sun - I watch the Vikings loose and spend some family time. Awesome weekend.

Skipped work today to sit this morning... Saw NOTHING. Not a squirrel, crow, goose overhead, nothing. Just drizzling rain. Still better than work though...

Nothing tonight I could hear them going through the thick stuff about 80 yards away heading for the corn.

sat a new spot tonite seen an 8 and a 10. the I probably should have shot the ten sure I will kick myself later in the season he was probably around 145 give or take. had a doe come in right at last light so I had to sit until about 830. try ahgain tommorow.

Sat on the ground tonight on same state land that I always have good luck with. When I went out I checked the weather SSE wind blowing 20 mph and supposed to be around 10 mph at dusk from S. What really happened was it switched to the west about 6:30 and messed up my spot. I got busted by at least 4 different deer and only saw one hind end running away at about 7:15. I guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing. Oh well at least it was a nice night. Boy were the mosquitoes hungry tho.

Saturday eve i hunted between beddding and oak flat with only a doe spotted. Several more came after dark that caused me to stay late.

Sunday eve i hunted the bean field edge to get a hold on major deer movement. Didnt get any sjots but did end up seeing 13 and they all except 2 took the same route. Guesss whos movin a stand this wknd?

Well looks like ill be the first to admit my 1st miss for the season.

Had a doe at 32 yards and flat didn't see a limb in the way. Tracer knock lit and looked like a missile flying into the wild blue yonder.Does never realized what happened and returned (but further away) within a few minutes.

Acorns falling like crazy tonight with the wind. Cant wait till morning to go at it again.

hunted this morning tried to wait untill just before the rain ended got all settled in and it poored again had a doe at 15 yds decided to hold off due to the rain didnt want to chance not being able to track her had another deer wind me. this evening I decided to hang and hunt a new location didnt see a thing oh well try again thursday.

Went to a diffrent piece of property tonight made a 18 yard chip shot on a yote he was sneeky but had to stop and look for the lip squeek man I love the luminocks. Passed two twin forkhorns at 18 yards had a doe and yearling come through, and had one wind me also bumped one when climbing down the tree. This is the third property I have hunted and all 3 the deer are passing up the beans and heading too the alfalfa.

Yep, passing up the beans for sure while they are turning, once the leaves drop and they dry up they seem to hit them good again. Always a good plan to hunt "green" food this time of year. Sometimes they fool ya but this is what I traditionally find year after year.

I love these cool mornings. I havn't even had the time to get out yet with work and other comittments... mad But come friday I have one place in mind.

Good luck to all and I love watching this thread every year.

Went out this morning and busted one under the stand in the dark also could hear a herd of them come through the swamp and breaking brush 6:00. At 7:00 had a doe come through the swamp to far to shoot but what a great cool morning.

Good morning for me as well. Didn't connect but had 3 at a little over 40 yards at 7:20. They went directly in the swamp and bedded early. I think the moon is affecting them, moving late and real early. Should get out in the middle of the afternoon today but cant. Good news is Ive got their routine down, going to move stand about forty yards and it should be game over on the lead doe.

I hunted last night. Around 6:45 - 7:15 I had 2 does come from the corn towards the woods (opposite of my "normal" nights) they stayed out at about 40 yeads from me. Then around 7:30 a lone doe came by me towards the corn. She came by at 10 yards, must have winded me, as she looked up at me but then came around my tree and continued on. I let her go as I have been seeing deer so far and will look to take a doe later on in the season. Great Log BTW!!

What a gorgeous morning to get out! First time this season I was able to make it out (due to wedding season apparently), great cool morning, in the stand by 6 am, other than birds and squirrels it was quiet until 7:40 heard a deer come crashing out of the corn, it was a nice doe at about 40 yards, then at 7:55 a nice little basket 8 came walking in at 10 yards, but had to pass him since I got 4 months and 3 big trips planned to get my Swampy McWallMounter. It sure did give me that buck fever tho!

Sat out last night from 5:00 - 7:45 and no sighting of deer, lots of tree rats and Turkeys. Lucky I had my spare release with me, thought I lost my new one, wife went down to where we hunted the other day and it was on the driveway.

Sat an evening stand a couple nights ago. Great wildlife viewing night! Hunted a corn field edge. Basket 6 pointer came in around 6:20 and ate corn for twenty minutes or so before deciding to pick a fight with one of the corn stalks for another five minutes. After that a doe and spotted fawn showed up and came within 20yrds. Wasnt presented with a very good shot so i passed. Saw multiple other deer in the field across from mine through out the evening. During the last half hour of shoting light i had 2 turkeys, 4 racoons, and 1 fox make an appearance as well! Fun night to be on stand. Looking forward to getting back out this weekend!

Well tonight I wasn't going to go was busy cutting and chopping wood during the day and the weather report show the rain was going to start at around 7. Around 5:30 the rain hadn't started yet and I couldn't keep myself out of the woods any longer, made a brush ground blind on the edge of a wheat field where the deer are passing through to get to the alfalfa. At 7:25 had a doe with a little spot right on her heals cutting across at 30 yards but with the rain moving in and the low light I decided I would pass.

very light rain at 3:45pm yesterday, low pressure coming from the South West.

21 03:55 SW 9 10.00 vis. Rain

21 06:55 W 5 10.00 vis. Fair

Dawned the camo and went to the North Edge ladder stand.

Rain [which turned out to not even a trace} stopped, and the barameter crept back up. The sky cleared somewhat so I went to the South Edge ground blind.

On my way there while walking I noticed a new deer trail crossing a fence 200 yards back North of the ground blind. The ground was broken very well where the deer landed from jumping over.

Happy Fall.

Two bucks in two nights, both two and a half year olds. Big bodys but not the antlers I am looking for. 100-110 inchers beautiful animals! Either one would make a nice first buck for my son or step son, so hopefully thats the way it works out. Keep after em!!

Enjoyed my first sit of the season last night. Nice night, very few skeets. At 7:20, I spy antlers floating around the edge of the cattails working around to me. He gets to about 60yds & stops. Seemingly dissatisfied, he turns and steps into the brush. I think he caught my scent. The wind was East when I went out but after checking this morning, it switched Northeast around 7pm. Bummer. He wasn't the deer I was after but was plenty big for an arrow. Have to look at trail cam pics to see who he is.

I also got out last night for the first time this season. Had two does browsing around me and under my stand (only 10' up). I had a real hard time hearing them last night. I will be happy when some of the leaves fall and make the ground a bit more crunchy. With the damp air and ground, they were pretty silent. I took my digital camera out and took some videos for my young daughters. They got a kick out of that.

Saw 7 last nite, 2 small bucks a basket 6, and an ugly 7, all got within 20 yrds, 2 bucks got as close as 12 yrds- in a great spot but no good trees to get up in the stand very high, only got up about 12' in a nasty lookin tree, but being that low to the ground with deer that close is a blast! Still lookin for the one

went out this morning when I thought there was break in the rain. The look on the wife's face was priceless when I told her I was going. went to a stand thats not far from the road seen 7 deer all does and fawns had one doe about 2 feet from the ladder but by then it was raining so hard I didnt dare shoot sat untill 9am and called it quits. glad I did had to take several detours to avoid driving thru running water. Its bad down here guys we have gotten alot of rain about 7 inches in the gage so far. Anyone planning on coming to the S.E part of the state this weekend should try and call ahead. they are saying hwy 52 north of pine island could be closed for a week on the northbound side due to culvert seperation. they also evacuated white water state park due to flooding. Not good t all down here.

sat from 530 so 1000 this morning. had 2 walk by before legal light one at 545 and the other at 555. nothing after light. pretty good wind out of E/NE but no drizzle or rain til about 1030. the first was moving pretty fast so i was guessing a buck and he had someplace to be before light