• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

Ya it was chilly last night, however I was equipped with a lot of my late season insulation and hand warmers so it wasn't too bad. I must be starting to learn because I've done the same thing a 100 times, I tell myself I am just going out for a short sit so I don't need to dress all that warm, then the wind cuts you in half.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

Last night was about the worst for me, the weather site said the winds would die down around 5:00 p.m. They didn't, they howled the whole time I was out there, I was pretty uncomfortable. I was kind of mad at myself, it was a complete lack of preparation and an oversight by yours truley.

It did get cold last night. Sat about two hours, was dressed perfect. Activated the warmers & never needed them, forgot to put them to sleep in a zip lock bag, so in essence wasted them.

Saw 5 gobblers (have a turkey tag too) & 10 deer. 2 does, 7 fawns, & I think a small buck. It was time to get down when he came. 5 of those deer were out when I got to the stand a bit before 5. 2 were fawns I spooked, but they came back. Had a big doe at 30 yards, but not clear & then again at about 35, but quartering slightly towards & too alert. Could have shot a couple of the fawns, but am not that desperate yet. Going tonight, & the next night, & the next night...

I wish you all the best tonight and this weekend, but I hope it really starts next week. With 4 kids and halloween, I won't be in the stand until Sun or Mon. All conditions are right though.

Birdswacker - I see bear around in the spring, but not much in the fall. Nice to know there is a brute out there. I am trying to talk my buddy into letting me hunt his place, but so far no go, he just tortures me wiht pics almost daily. He is on a few acres as are all of his neigbors. So there are woods, fields, etc but no one owner has large acerage and he is afraid it will upset some neighbors if I shoot one. I understand his concerns, but.... I do hunt mostly private, but local public land some too.

Randy - Good Luck today. This is the day to pull the all dayer. Great conditions right after a big storm, low temps, and for me it has always been good a few days either side of halloween. Let us know how you did.

Went out this mornin and brrr saw 2 doe and 3 fawns. Saw the biggest doe i haver ever saw. She looked like Brett Farve all gray. They kept looking back into the swamp but he never came out. Its amazing how much one can shake in a tree and not be noticed. Between the addreniline and the cold it was about all i could handle.

jumped 4 deer going in only one deer looked like it could have been a buck but couldn't confirm, all ran right towards my stand and never saw another deer the rest of the night.

mr

went for a walk today to check for downed trees on the trail

busted a small 8 behind my stand. They've always come from that direction when the pre-rut starts. It's a grreat place when the wind is right for them. I think so they can hold tight and wait for the does to come through. There are some doe beds not to far from this stand so the boys are back in town for {I think} for that reason.

But plenty of trees down, which that's good brows they can munch on when the snow's deeper.

good luck,

y'all be patient,

and hunt safe

I know a guy that shot a big 8 this morning, text pic confirmation. The rut is ramping up in SEMN.

There are some areas over that way where you can get on if you go door knocking. One of my best spots is off Lakedrive and there are some really nice bucks around. I used to see a car parked on the corner of 97/lakedrive but haven't seen it at all this year. I'll be in stand all day tomorrow hoping for the best grin Good luck and shoot straight!

Tunrevir~

Pm sent

Not to be immature but when a long time ago I read bow stand log, it reminded me of a buddy who had grandma's chili (5 alarm) and while doing a bow stand log had the t-cam buck he was looking for looking right at him, calls it his worst season ever, never saw him again except in the neighbors yard on the meat pole during rifle season, he likely would've got a good bow chance if his stomach wouldn't have failed him.

Today I did a morning hunt from about 7 to 10:30. I saw 12 deer. Had a big doe at 20 yards but she was facing me and doing the head fake/bob thing. She was also behind some branches. Anyway I can't get out tonight due to other commitments, but I have 16 of the next 24 days off from work. Today was a great start to my hunting binge.

but I have 16 of the next 24 days off from work.

Where do I apply??

Last weekend was slow for me, but I have a feeling things have changed big time over the last week. I'll be out all day tomorrow and Sunday, then I have Wednesday through Friday off to tag one.

There should be plenty of new pics coming in on the picture thread over the next week!!

In from tonights hunt 1 doe passed on her and i buck only six cant shot him were i hunt. Was a nice night to be out though lots of turkeys they sound like a plane crashing trying to find there roost tree.

Hey bottom bouncer i just heard about that deer this morning. I dont know anything about it. I'm waiting to here about that giant typical getting shot. Let me tell you, if someone gets that guy its going to be all over the place. I have pics on my phone of him. Hes beyond world class.

Best night of my life! Saw three deer, 2 does and one nice buck, took shot and didn't make perfect shot so waiting to find him first thing tomorrow morning.... see story BBD that I just posted.

mr

Just got in from tonights sit on property north of Cambridge. Had a button buck watch me climb the tree from 40 yards, I dress, get all situated in and then he continues to feed for an hour, then bed down for 1/2 hour and get up and feed some more. I figured his mother had been shot or something when at about 5:15 I see 3 more fawns running through the woods just playing with each other back and forth, back and forth. All at less than 60 yards.

Why Im going into detail about these fawns. Some on here look for that as being a sign the ruts on (Does running off the fawns). Im going to have to agree. But I think it depends on where your at. The doe I took last night was in East Bethel and I have found very little buck sing there as of yet. Now the property i hunted tonight, the scapes just started poping up everywhere in the last 2 days.

Ill be there all day tomorrow. Boy I hope we have a strong rut this year. With 2 seperate groups of fawns like that, im thinking it might be pretty good one. What everyone elses thoughts?

I went out tonight at around 4:45, kinda disappointed only saw 1 fawn. Have the next four days off, hoping my luck improves.

Just got in from tonights sit on property north of Cambridge. Had a button buck watch me climb the tree from 40 yards, I dress, get all situated in and then he continues to feed for an hour, then bed down for 1/2 hour and get up and feed some more. I figured his mother had been shot or something when at about 5:15 I see 3 more fawns running through the woods just playing with each other back and forth, back and forth. All at less than 60 yards.

Why Im going into detail about these fawns. Some on here look for that as being a sign the ruts on (Does running off the fawns). Im going to have to agree. But I think it depends on where your at. The doe I took last night was in East Bethel and I have found very little buck sing there as of yet. Now the property i hunted tonight, the scapes just started poping up everywhere in the last 2 days.

Ill be there all day tomorrow. Boy I hope we have a strong rut this year. With 2 seperate groups of fawns like that, im thinking it might be pretty good one. What everyone elses thoughts?

the issue with fawns..I'm wondering if that's why I saw alot of coyote sign today.

Hardly any tree rubs and no scrapes, but the yotes were in there like no tomorrow. Was fortunate to see a buck today though. Maybe the fawns were bawling and brought the yotes in? The midnight moon sure was wayning all night, very well lit up all night out there.

Or as some scientist call it...the terminator moon phase.

I hunted a new property tonight that I recenty got permission to hunt. I had a small eight (100") a small 10 (120") and a bigger 10 (135") The bigger 10 walked the trail right to me, head on. He got to 15 yards stopped with his nose in the air and winded me. He bolted but only about 50 yards then just feed some more. I don't think he was too spooked.

Friday morning had zero sightings for both my wife and I. Friday evening I was only able to go and nothing until the last 1/2 hour, then a doe came in and played around and ended up bedding down within yards of my stand, waited until well after dark and when I was leaving another deer just out in the bean field that was PO'd when it was bumped. I am thinking it was a gentleman that thought I was intereferring with his activities...

He could have shown up a tad earlier, I would have really messed up his future plans.

Went Out last Night. Set up on the ground on a scrape line. Nothing came by. Brother drew back on a nice buck but evidently it heard the wisker biscuit. And Bounced off. Camera's are starting to show pics of bucks moving but still at night. Gonna hunt sat. night and sunday most of the day. Off from Wed. On for the chase hopefully it kicks up.

I had 4 does come to the waterhole this morning. Only 1 had a fawn with. First light a small buck also came in.

Went out yesterday at 1pm, seen two deer trotting about 200 yards away couldn't tell what they were, about an hour later I seen a decent basket rack 8 or 10, hard to tell he was about 100 yards away, wasn't a shooter but a decent buck forsure. About 20 minutes before dark I seen a real big body deer come out on the other side of the field, about 5 minutes later 2 does came out into the field on the side I was on. They slowly fed their out into the middle where I couldn't see any of them anymore.

I used a drag rag and hung it in my 20 yard shooting lane with no response, I also tried to rattle twice with no response, and called a couple times with no response.

Sat all day yesterday with the exception of 45 minutes to grab a sandwich and drive to a different woodlot. Morning sit saw the deer active with 1 buck and nine does coming through but all to far to offer a shot. The deer moved from shortly after sunrise right up till 11 a.m. Sat in another woods for the afternoon and pm and saw 2 does and a small buck but nothing within range, saw 1/6 dozen turkeys both am and pm a racoon, owl and hundreds of squirrels. Sat this a.m. had a spike, a six and a small eight come through at less then ten yards. The six and the eight sparred lightly with one another for a few minutes before leaving. Came home and pulled the cards from my cameras and had a 13 yesterday during shooting light and four other small bucks and half dozen does on the cards.

Tunrevir~

bumped an 8ptr going in yesterday am, he didn't see or smell me (he was upwind) but by the time I got in stand he was gone. tried to grunt him back and all he did was grunt back to me....never had that happen before. he didn't seem to be in any hurry or after any does....hope I run into him again, would be the biggest buck I ever shot (gun or bow), plus my first archery deer in my first archery year. THAT would be nice!

finally broke down and bought the scent blocker coat and pants. OUCH! that hurt. will try them out in the morning!

Finally I can contribute to the log! Went out this morning and it started out warm near the lake but once I got out of town it quickly sank to 28 degrees! Once I got to the spot I found there was some residual snow which made for crunchy walking not to mention all the standing water. As I drove into the spot on the ATV there were two does standing in the woods not 20 yards from me, walking to the stand included walking towards them and I pushed them for probably 400 yards.

I got into my stand early and sat till 9 am with not a whisper of a deer sighting or hearing anything except red squirrels. Then I heard a grunt around 9:25, 5 minutes later there is a doe munching on some grass 20 yards behind me. I could hear another deer but couldn't see it. Another doe materialized 20 yards away again but they both were behind me and some spruce trees. They stayed within 50 yards for HALF AN HOUR talk about teasing a man. They never moved into a spot I could take a shot so I tried to stalk them to no avail.

On the way out I jumped both the does and another batch of deer in the clear cut, too far out to see what they were. I'm going to let the place settle down for Rifle season, those does won't be so lucky next weekend.

Well how quickly it can all come together. On a whim i went out a bit earlier than i had planned. I got in stand about 2:30. As i looked around at 3:15 i thought this is going to be a long 3 hours. That quick i look up at the sound of something coming and here comes a dandy. He was on the move and headed to my opening. He stopped to lick a branch and i got drawn. He came through the lane and grunted to stop him. It happened so quick. He stopped broadside at 20 yards and i let it fly. I hit him a bit back but i was pretty sure i was ok. I called a buddy and went to the neighbors house. An hour later we went in and it was an easy 80 yard trail. I made a liver shot not by design. Pictures to follow tomorrow. hes about a 120" 8 point.

I know a guy who shot a big boy at 11am today and seeing this guy cruising at 3:15, i would suggest you boys stay in stand as long as you can.

A LONG day in the woods. None seen until 5:20. One lone spike. May have been a little optimistic seening the fawns alone last night. Maybe just a few more days till it kick in.

Sat from 1 till dark. At about 4:30 had a buck quite a ways behind me. Couldn't tell how big the rack was but at that distance I'm guessing it was decent since I could even see it, body seemed pretty big, but he went the wrong direction. A little after 5 had a decent 8 pointer come through at 20 yards but it was like he knew exactly where my shooting lanes were and went right around them. Also had 2 does and a fawn go through. All in all in was a fun day to be in the woods.

I sat all day today. Didn't see a deer until 9:00 am, and then there was a steady flow of does and fawns until about 1:00. It got slow until 3:00 when a 6 pointer moved into the bedding area and stirred things up a bit. Had steady action and alot of chasing until dark. Only saw 4 different bucks doing the chasing though. One was a 12 point that is going to be a STUD in about 2 years so I had to let him pass.