• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

Sproguy, what part of Wabasha County are you in? I am also in Wabasha County mainly and am seeing the same stuff you are. email at nashasticker @ yahoo.com

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

decided not to hunt this morning cause of the high winds and rain but drove around my woods to see if any action in the corn fields. of course there were at least 3 or 4 bucks 1 decent. and 6 does feeding in the corn at 9. gonna get out tonight hopefully see some action..been kind of dead last 2 weeks

I'd say the time is now, cold front coming, late Oct, any time in the woods could be your best opportunity before rifle hits. I managed to schedule a couple of afternoons off this week (Thurs-Fri) and will be hunting hard this weekend, it almost feels like the night before opener right now, I am fired up!

Went out and walked the woods for about 3 hours yesterday just looking and searching. Figured with the rain coming today and possibly tomorrow, scent would get washed away. Found some really good looking spots and a corn field/food plot that was put in I didn't know about. Scrape line around the edge of the woods leading up to it.

Think I am as excited as you are Bear.....neck started to swell up last night when I saw the forecast for low temps! Time to get out and see if I can actually get one with my bow!

I went out tonite didnt see anything while I was in my tree but seen a nice buck doggin a doe on the way home out in picked corn field.

I'm with you; not hunting in this wind, plus it gives my shoulder couple of days to heal. Now thursday afternoon will be a different story!!! Some of the guys have been discussing hunting standing corn in this wind. A very effeective way to hunt if you have the right field, and the patience!

Dont be fooled I was in a deep valey that was fairly well protected from the gails. was hoping that the deer would be in there as well trying to get out of the wind.

Sat tonight and had one doe come thru at 6:10 in the gusty wind closest she came was 45 yards. Lots of fresh tracks, scrapes and rubs from sometime before 5 today no rain in the scrapes or tracks.

Wed AM saw one doe, this AM nothing. I only sit for an hour before work, so not real long in the stand, but I get out a little in the mornings. This week/weekend it will be hard for me to get out in the PM with all the kids activities, but I hope to squeeze in a few hours.

Birdswacker - I am in Wyoming also. I saw lots of deer early on, now not as many. Hopefully soon. I am seeing lots of rubs and a couple of scrapes though. On the camera I have a couple nice bucks, but always at 2:30am, 1:27am, etc. I have seen one shooter buck in the stand this year, but he was out at 50 yards so no shot for me. Once the weather settles I have high hopes. I hope this gives you a little encouragement to keep at it. This is PRIME TIME!!! (haha) Also a friend in coumbus keeps sending my pics of deer he sees, and during shooting hours. He isn't a bow hunter however, so maybe that is where they all are in our area. Good Luck.

Went out last night and seen 5 does, decided to sit on the ground just to be on the safe side. After classes this afternoon i'll be heading to some public land, hopefully get in a little better area with my tree stand.

Gurkster,

Speaking of columbus last Thurs. I took my son to the HS for basketball we drove in on 97 about a mile west of the freeway we saw the biggest bear I've ever seen. He dang near got run over by a toyota car probably would've totaled the car.

Does your buddy let anyone bowhunt?

Are you on private or public?

There are some areas over that way where you can get on if you go door knocking. One of my best spots is off Lakedrive and there are some really nice bucks around. I used to see a car parked on the corner of 97/lakedrive but haven't seen it at all this year. I'll be in stand all day tomorrow hoping for the best grin Good luck and shoot straight!

Tunrevir~

Sat tonight (thursday) hoping that the deer would be moving like crazy after being hunkered down for two days. Didn't see anything.

There is a scrape in front of my stand location. I put a dripper over it and when I checked it out today it had one huge deer print in the middle. Is that common or do they usually drag their feet through?

Did not get a picture of this deer, but did get 15 pictures of does that were moving at 7 pm yesterday in the high winds. I am itching for one of those girls to fill a tag.

I also thought today there would be a few deer moving after the wind and the rain, but it was a quiet night. I gave a couple of bleats as the sun was going down, and my 8 pointer made his move toward me. Kind of fun watching him come through the thick stuff from the south. He circled around my stand trying to wind me and ended up across the road in the bean field. I tried to sneak back to the car but he must have heard my frozen feet scraping across the gravel road. It might be time for the heavily insulated boots next week. I'm hoping that next week will feature a little more daytime movement.

I know of a couple 140" bucks that were taken today here in SE MN.
james have you heard of the 22pt that was taken out by the airport last weekend I have heard it from a couple guys around here but have yet to see any proof I was told it grossed 206 and some change.

The one shot by the airport was shot by a 1st year bow hunter. Kids last name is sawyer i believe...dont know much more than that, heard its huge...

Tonight I had 4 does come through at 5:35 that was it for the deer activity around me. My buddy was locked down by a doe all night she came out at 5:10 and hung around all night he drew on her twice but could never get the shot. A fellow member here texted me at 7 needing a hand tracking so we headed out and followed a great blood trail for 50 to 60 yards to a big doe now the fun started because most of the time we were in water above the ankles and a 200 yard drag through it nasty spot but thats were the deer were.

Sounds like the action is picking up. Nice to see a hard frost on the vehicles this morning.

Plan on bowhunting tonight, pheasant hunting tomorrow and then 8 days of deer hunting..... unless I fill the tags before its over. smile BOO-YEAH!

Leaving work at noon today and heading to the woods for a good sit. Going to try out a new spot just in the edge of the woods. Buck has a scrape line going on the field edge, so maybe I can catch him coming out of the swamp! Haven't been out in almost a week and it is killing me! Good luck to everyone going out!

Well finally hunting weather.

Sat last night on a stand I hadnt hunted this year hoping for a chance at one of the shooters. 4:45 BIG doe and fawns come through. Wasnt sure if I was going to shoot or not. after a few minutes of her just giving me to good of a shot I couldnt take it anymore. 10 yards perfectly quartering away. shot was good she ran 40 yards and piled up. Just out of site but within hearing range of the crash. Long drag out but shes hanging ready to be skinned. No more does for me till late season now have plenty of meat in freezer and going to leave the rest for bait for the rut.

The RUT. Yesterday finally showing signs of it. Scrapes poping up like crazy. Im thinking mid week next week is going to be prime. Ill be in stand tonight through the weekend. Going to be doing some rattling for the first time this year.

Tonight is the night!! Picking my brother up from school at 230 and heading out to the stand!! Buck made 5 new scrapes yesterday morning right around me I hope hes up tonight! Also trying to get my brother his first bow deer i will be filming him if a doe walks by or a small buck and if the big buck walks by i will be handing the camera over to him. Cant believe he agreed to that but he just wants a deer. Hopefully the big guy is following a doe and we could make both happen!! The deer are moving!!

Saw a ton of action Thursday night! Left work early and went way back to one of my favorite spots I have been saving. Passed on a spike, fork and then 2.5 year old 8 early on, then right at dark I hear a crash followed by several grunts. A doe and nice buck are coming right down a trail that should pass my stand at 10 yards! Then the doe veers off, I had the pins on the buck at 35 or 40 yard but the brush and low light made for a poor shot. Tried the grunt him back but he was in love. He wasn't a monster but probably in the 120's and a very good buck for the public land I am on. I waited a while and tried to sneek out of there but I am pretty sure they made me so its time to hit some new ground tonight.

I should also add I saw a ton of fresh scrapes and many big rubs in the area, the time is now if you are a bow hunting fanatic.

Sat last night and had a serious lack of judgement on the weather conditions. Got in the stand, within an hour the wind had me completely chilled to the bone. 20 mile an hour wind from the North, blew steady, I was way underdressed, I'm betting the wind chill was low 20's, possibly in the teens. At about 6:30 and not seeing any deer, I said screw it and walked/ran back to the truck, I couldn't have shot one anyway my hands were numb. I got in the truck and decided that there was enough light to glass the field with the binocs. I pull the truck ahead about 200 yards and start glassing for about 5 minutes, no deer anywhere. I turn the turck around and go back to where I came. about 50 yards from where I parked the truck and where I was 10 minutes ago, 7 does and one big buck were staring at me in the headlights. Very weird, I have no idea where they came from or how they got all the way up to the middle of a field without me seeing them. I hope I get a crack at him, it seems like every year, it starts like this. I see him from a distance, then I start moving in, and eventually I get close enough for a shot, but I feel the pressure of the clock ticking on me now. Gotta love it.