• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whose Season is Already Over?

SartellMN

I have not been out to the stand yet due to bad planning on my part. I am very anxious to get out. Just curious who filled a tag already?

I filled one this morning about 7:50. Didn't find the darn thing for hours though. It was a nice doe using a bonus tag, so I'll be out some more.

I filled one this morning about 7:50. Didn't find the darn thing for hours though. It was a nice doe using a bonus tag, so I'll be out some more.

Did you make it to work on time?

Did you make it to work on time?

I made it in early actually (kinda). stuck her at 7:50. She ran about 10 ft then crashed hard, got up, 5 ft, crash. Then she took off. Waited in the tree for about 15 minutes, then went down to check how heavy the blood was. It was definitely there, but not a gusher, so I knew it was going to take some time. I marked the spot, went back to the truck and headed into work. Worked for about an hour, then some other people came in, to get some work done, so I let them hold down the fort while I went back out into the woods. (female employees who aren't hunters but come from hunting families, so they understood). Tracking wasn't promising. Blood trail completely ended after about 30 ft. I spent a couple hours combing the area, before I just started wandering around. After about an hour of wandering, I stumbled across her. Took off my dress shirt, laid it on some grass and got to work.

I made it in early actually (kinda). stuck her at 7:50. She ran about 10 ft then crashed hard, got up, 5 ft, crash. Then she took off. Waited in the tree for about 15 minutes, then went down to check how heavy the blood was. It was definitely there, but not a gusher, so I knew it was going to take some time. I marked the spot, went back to the truck and headed into work. Worked for about an hour, then some other people came in, to get some work done, so I let them hold down the fort while I went back out into the woods. (female employees who aren't hunters but come from hunting families, so they understood). Tracking wasn't promising. Blood trail completely ended after about 30 ft. I spent a couple hours combing the area, before I just started wandering around. After about an hour of wandering, I stumbled across her. Took off my dress shirt, laid it on some grass and got to work.

Now, if only more people had as much ambition as you..... good work.

Now, if only more people had as much ambition as you..... good work.

if you're a bow hunter and dont have that ambition, people should leave the sport because half of bow hunting is tracking

I did end up findin my doe after lettin her lay for a few hours and a follow up shot. The red squirrel was finally on my side! Heard it makin all kinds of racket like they do when they see you in the tree, went over to check it out and there the doe layed right under the squirrel. Not a text book shot, but at least it made it to the freezer

Well half of my licenses are filled, shot a doe last night what I thought was a double lunger but when I picked up the arrow it didn't look good, guts! So I tried to follow her path for about 25 yards with no blood. Hit the woods this morning and found her not more than 80 yards from stand. She lost one lung and the arrow entered and exited at a hard angle (ridge) she didn't blow blood until about 40 yards from stand fortunetly the yotes didn't get her but some of the meat was salvagable. Had some loin for lunch and it sure tasted good. First doe in about two years so good to have one under the belt and now I can focus the rest of the fall for her boy friend.

I would post pictures but I don't have any that are clean enough to post. Picked up those brand new Tru-Fire T1 broadheads and did they do damage on the entry and the rib cage, holy cow, you would think a 30-06 shot her with hollow points, I'm very pleased with the performance.

Good luck all!

mr

No luck here, slow hunting on public land in WI. Saturday morning I had a bigger fawn that I bumped while walking out. We played cat and mouse around a bunch of brush for a while, then it ran off and gave me a 30 yard shot. I considered shooting except it was watching me and I figured would jump the string and I'd be chasing a badly hit deer.

Saturday night was a bust. Went to my usual evening spot where the deer feed on a big oak ridge. Bumped out a big 8 or 10pt buck, nice rack. I don't think he knew what I was though, no tail and he stopped and just walked away after running only about 40 yards. No shot though, too thick. Saw a smaller buck with a broken leg near sunset, he wouldn't come down my way though.

Sunday morning I had 3 1.5yo bucks come by right under me. I had done a single grunt and they all came in right to me. Walked by at 3 yards, I thought for sure they were 4 or 5 in the group because I thought I heard more moving around behind the third one where I couldn't see. I wanted to wait in hopes of a big guy following behind, or a doe. As the third went past though no more appeared...

Sunday night I didn't see anything...

My brother had to work all weekend, but has today (Monday) off so I gave him directions to where my stand was so he can hopefully get a shot at something, lots of good sign in that spot, much better looking than last weekend when I went up to check it out.

I didn't have a chance to shoot at all this weekend. However a buddy of mine passed up on a doe to take this one. After 10 hrs of tracking we were able to tag it. It scored a 136 1/2.

img054.jpg

When I first read the thread topic "whose season is already over", the first thing that came into my mind....The Vikings! Sorry for the off topic post, but I had to do it.

HaHa Dylan33 me too. Upside is I won't feel the need to waste my Sundays in front of the TV and will be out in the woods more.