• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

7 yr olds needing small game license!

lakevet

New regs say that my 7 yr old needs a small game license to hunt grouse on Grandpa's farm tomorrow. Asked at sporting goods shop and they looked at me like I was joking. After showing them it on page 3, page 32, and page 33 of the regs book, they still couldn't believe it. I asked what to use for ID as 7 yr olds don't drive. Social secrurity #?? Finger prints? Passport?? Anyone got their kids a license yet? I believe it is free plus a 50 cent charge for the license vendor. My wife said it's another reason to move to North Dakota.

Frustrating and a hassle to have to get yet another license. Just want to know what ID to bring to get the kids legal.

Thanks, lakevet

Not sure. In the reg book they say two different things on each page.

Quote:
Youth and Small Game Hunting

Did you know that resident youth under age 13 are allowed

to hunt small game without a firearms safety certificate? The only

requirements are that they be accompanied by a parent or guardian

and obtain a free license. You as a responsible parent are the best

judge of when your child is mature enough to safely handle firearms

and go hunting. And, you are the best person to pass on the fun,

excitement and heritage of hunting to the next generation of sportsmen/

women. Hunting, it’s a great way to make family memories that

will last a lifetime.

Next Page.

Quote:
All residents and nonresidents, including youth under age 15 , must

have a valid Small Game License in their possession to take small

game, except residents may hunt small game without a license on

their own land if they occupy it as their principal

residence.

Very good question!

Just more bullshist the DNR dreams up. I swear to God I believe some one in the DNR cannot sleep at night and comes up with this [PoorWordUsage]. The license is free but you can bet they are paying someone to take care of the paper work of the free license, MORE MONEY WASTED!!!! no wonder they are broke all the time and begging for money.

They probably just want to keep track of the number of youth that are hunting prior to turning 13. It really shouldn't add any noticeable cost to the state as they already have licensing vendors stationed around the state and have people and computer programs designated for license sales.

I see no harm in it.

I can understand that they want to improve hunter recruitment and the info gathered may help. And also the HIP tracking of migratory bird harvest. It's just another step farther from how I started out in hunting. Part of the hassle is the license vendor didn't have a clue and I am burning time to run to another and making sure I have the info needed to get the license.

What ID is needed (if any)? Anyone gone through the process and got their kid a license yet? I can't imagine CO's ticketing for this, but I want to be legal.

lakevet

I agree northwoods, just tracking numbers, it will probably be a hassle until everyone gets use to it. Otherwise you just pick one up when you get your small game license. I actually think it will be kind of fun for the kids to have their own license to hold on to, although its probably safer with mom or dad keeping it safe.

I do agree its a little over the top but I understand why they are doing it. I really hope they don't do anything stupid and fine anyone for not having one.

I would guess they don't need an id, just a parent.

I got one for my daughter, her SS# was all that was needed. Free - and I got it for her as she wasn't even there. Now she has a DNR# so I can use that going forward. A little bit of a pain for the DNR to get more data on us, but not to bad.

The way I read the new law, I guess I'm kind of in favor of it. Sounds like if you take them to gun safety and get the firearms safety certificate, you don't need the free liscens. A good way for kids to learn about safe hunting and gun use and ALL kids should go through this if they are going to hunt anyways.

no confusion skitter. Those two pages don't conflict. Kids need a license and its free. Seemed black and white to me.

It tracks youth numbers. NOthing huge. I think it creates an opportunity for kids to feel grown up also.

Seconding Powerstroke. My 8 year old thought it was pretty cool to have his own hunting license. I'm letting him carry it....so what if he loses it, no CO in their right mind is going to ticket someone taking their kid hunting because the kid lost the free license.

The only thing I needed was his SS number.

:note to admin.: the link provided is for the MN DNR website to obtain a license online.

Thanks.

-------------------

From the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

-- Youth younger than 16 must obtain a free license to hunt small game this fall, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Although the license is free, it is subject to a nominal vendor service charge.

The new license requirement, mandated by the Legislature in 2008, affects a number of popular game species including squirrel, rabbit, grouse, pheasant and waterfowl. Youth also must satisfy all requirements related to hunter education and firearms safety.

Small game season opens Sept. 18. Free youth licenses are available online at

https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/mn_customer/app/goHome.do

They are also available at the DNR License Center, 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul. They are also available by phone at (888) 665-4236, but a nominal customer service fee will be charged.

The new youth small game hunting licenses also are available at DNR license agents across Minnesota. License agents are allowed to charge a 50-cent fee for any free license or permit

What next??!!

The next thing you know you're gonna have to register a newborn if you bring them home in a camo blanket wrap!!

The SS# entry is just another way for the government to eventually start tracking....

Oh well, either abide or collide frown

Thought nothing of this till reading this forum, not sure why I read it since I have no kids but still did. Then today at the local gas station there was a sign stating: "Must have SS# to obtain ANY hunting license for a child" Guess they have run into the issue.

Went to get my son his free license, and the place couldnt figure out how to do it.....

So hate to admit it, but he hunted Saturday without his free license. Shame Shame. laugh