• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

license question, need help?

Meat-Run

Is it the fact that the word bucks is plural? This implies you can hunt more than one buck, you can only harvest one though. You can hunt multiple bucks, in multiple areas for that matter, but you can only tag ONE. I suggest if you are really having that much difficulty with this, that you contact the DNR, not through email, call them directly.

Natures Respect please read triggers post carefully or call the DNR, we don't want you getting into trouble because you misread one section of the regs and ignored some vital info on other pages.

All they mean is that you can hunt bucks, as in there is more than one buck in any given area. You can only tag one buck, but like someone else mentioned you can party hunt so the possibility of you hunting and shooting bucks is possible.

I might read the shining regs and they say its legal to shine in MN, woo hoo lets go shining. However if I skipped over the part about only being able to legally shine two hours after sunset I might get into some trouble.

You also might want to carefully read this paragraph from page 65:

"STATEWIDE BAG LIMITS FOR DEER

An individual hunter may only tag one legal buck per year, without

exception. Note: Although hunters can buy all 3 licenses, the bag

limits may not allow all 3 tags to be filled in a single deer area. It is the

hunter’s responsibility to know the bag limit for the areas they hunt."

i contacted the dnr and they said the same as you all.... aparently they meant you can CHASE bucks, well i told them next time they should instead write Chase or PARTY hunt bucks rather than saying one can hunt bucks because i asked alot of people at school who hunt and they thaught the same as i did that it meant you can shoot bucks. thanks for the help guys

See that is what happens when you totally ignored the words on page 65, good luck this season chase those "bucks".

Okay, I've resisted chiming in because every one of you gave the correct answer. The question came into our info center, they answered it correctly, and then forwarded the 'chase' response to me. Here is my response verbatim (name omitted) as it really warranted a response. I really hope it clears up this issue once and for all:

XXX,

I’m afraid you’re mistaken. By saying you can ‘hunt bucks’, we are saying you can hunt the population of male deer in Minnesota. However, you can only kill 1 buck. It in no way says, implies, or insinuates you can kill more than one. As you probably know, the word ‘deer’ is both singular and plural. You see one deer, two deer, a lot of deer. In the case of male deer, the word buck is singular meaning one. The word bucks is plural meaning more than one. If we worded the sentence in the singular form, such as ‘you can hunt buck throughout your selected season …’, the sentence would be 1) grammatically incorrect, and 2) incorrect from the standpoint you could only hunt 1 buck in the state. As Minnesota has thousands of bucks (male deer) available to hunt (although you can only kill 1 of them), it would be incorrect to use the singular form of the noun.

As for the word chase, that is also incorrect. You don’t chase deer. You hunt them. Saying you can ‘chase’ bucks in the regulations book would be incorrect is so many ways, I don’t think I could articulate them all. To put this issue to rest, the regulations books is worded both appropriately and correctly.

In summation, you can hunt male deer (bucks) throughout your selected season (A or B) but you can only harvest (kill) one of them. I hope that clears up your confusion.

Good luck this season,

Lou

As for the word chase, that is also incorrect. You don’t chase deer. You hunt them. Saying you can ‘chase’ bucks in the regulations book would be incorrect is so many ways, I don’t think I could articulate them all. To put this issue to rest, the regulations books is worded both appropriately and correctly.

In summation, you can hunt male deer (bucks) throughout your selected season (A or B) but you can only harvest (kill) one of them. I hope that clears up your confusion.

Good luck this season,

Lou

Wait a minute, does this mean we can't chase more than one buck?? Because, I've been training all summer and have improved my 50 yd dash time by a full 2 seconds. All this is just too confusing for me wink

Sorry, not trying to pick on anyone, this thread just makes me laugh! Only 50 days until November 6th!!

Wait a minute, does this mean we can't chase more than one buck?? Because, I've been training all summer and have improved my 50 yd dash time by a full 2 seconds. All this is just too confusing for me wink

Okay, that's funny. Really funny.

Actually,

Lou's response is quite funny also. As has been said all along, there is nothing wrong with what is put in the regulations book. Good luck to all this fall.