• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

license question, need help?

Meat-Run

Ok, a buddy and I picked up our archery license this afternoon. I purchased my regular archery and bonus license so I can shoot a doe and buck in the same day. He purchased only a archery tag but says he can tag a doe with his "regular" archery license (not bonus because he didn't purchase one) and then purchase a firearms license later and shoot-tag a buck.

The question I have or clarification we need is if you use your regular archery tag you can not tag a buck later in the year with a firearms license correct???

I just spend the last half hour going through the dnr regulations with no explination, I know he can always go and get a bonus when he drops a doe but once you use your regular archery, firearms, muzzleloader tag for either sex its burnt correct?

thanks,

mr

I believe your buddy is wrong. Tell him to buy the extra management doe permit (assuming it is valid for the area you guys hunt) and use that on the doe.

It is also not legal to shoot a deer and then decide to go buy the management permit then go back to the down animal to tag it. Gotta have the permit in pocket first, then shoot.

Page 65 of the regs. It does say "legal buck" specifically, and the archery tag is either sex, so maybe it's possible. I'd definitely check with the DNR first on this if I were going to try to do it. It seems like an iffy deal to me.

Quote:
An individual hunter may only tag one legal buck per year, without exception. Note: Although hunters can buy all 3 licenses, the bag limits may not allow all 3 tags to be filled in a single deer area. It is the hunter’s responsibility to know the bag limit for the areas they hunt.

Page 59 and 60

Quote:
All deer licenses (archery, firearms, muzzleloader) may be purchased at any time before or during the season. However, a license purchased on or after the day the respective season opens is not valid until the second day after the day it is issued (for example, a license issued on Saturday would not be valid until Monday). A “day” means midnight to midnight. The “respective season” refers to the first season for which

That sounds legitmate to me. Both deer tagged properly and not more than one buck. As long as he's in either a managed or intensive area or doesn't shoot both deer in a lottery area, I think he's fine.

"It is also not legal to shoot a deer and then decide to go buy the management permit then go back to the down animal to tag it. Gotta have the permit in pocket first, then shoot.

Page 65 of the regs. It does say "legal buck" specifically, and the archery tag is either sex, so maybe it's possible. I'd definitely check with the DNR first on this if I were going to try to do it. It seems like an iffy deal to me."

Harvesting or tagging a doe in a bonus section really isn't the question sort of, it's whether if you use your regular license ($17.00 to bow hunt) and tag a female deer, can you purchase a rifle license later and THEN shoot a buck, zone permitting of course?

I think I know the answer but looking for a cut & dried explination because I'm really s@cking at it right now.

mr

Quote:
The question I have or clarification we need is if you use your regular archery tag you can not tag a buck later in the year with a firearms license correct???

No, your buddy is correct. You are thinking the way it was, it is not like that anymore. Doesn't matter what tag you use anymore. You do not need to buy a bonus tag, he can use his either sex on a doe, and still tag a buck with his either sex firearm. If he does use his either sex tag on a doe right away (during archery), he is done hunting bucks until firearm season. Its a bag limit now, they don't care what tags you use as long as you are within the season, and using the right tags for the method of hunting. You can only tag one buck, and it cannot be tagged with a management tag. You are allowed 5 deer max, one being a buck, in the state of Minnesota. You cannot shoot more deer than your area allows. Once you have shot the maximum # of deer you are allowed in an area, you are done in all of those areas. For example, take a deer out of a lottery area, and you are done in all lottery areas. Take two deer out of a managed area, you are done in all managed areas.

96trigger,

Ok, so let me get a handle on what your saying but from a different direction, to simplify this even more assume we are all hunting in managment areas and no lottery.

(Scenario here)

If I purchased a rifle license, shoot a big doe, tag her with my rifle license, my either sex rifle license is now burnt and can not shoot a buck with my rifle, correct? Now, its end of November and I just purchased my archery license to hunt late season and don't purchase a management/bonus license, I can use my archery license to tag a buck, yes?

thanks,

mr

Yes and yes.

If you were to hunt Archery, Firearm, and ML in an intensive harvest area, you could use your either sex permit in Archery, then Firearm, and still tag a buck during ML as long as you hadn't tagged a buck yet.

I know exactly what you are saying, the old way sucked becasue you almost always ate your either sex archery tag unless you shot a buck with your bow, because you didn't want to burn your either sex tag. They did away with that.

i read in the handbook for were i hunt its intensive and i can hunt both buck/doe i can hunt bucks only if i wanted or antlerless only if i wanted or have a combination of both like 2 does and 2 bucks. someone please correct me if im wrong...

page 69 of the handbook on the INTENSIVE DEER AREAS says "If you hunt an intensive deer area, you may take a deer of either sex or you may hunt bucks throughout your selected season"

BUT! it says at the last sentence "hunters may take a deer of either sex on their regular license and purchase bonus permits to take ANTLERLESS deer."

NR, you are allowed 5 deer total in Minnesota, only ONE can be a legal buck. Period... I don't believe that there are any exceptions to this.

How about this -

rifle hunt in a managed are and take a buck and tag it. Can i still take another deer (doe) in a lottery zone with my bow?

So basically - i have no need to buy management tags as long as i carry a bow and firearm (both used in proper season and zones)?

The way I understand it I could take an archery doe in a lottery area, then take a buck & doe with the rifle in a managed area and then muzzy hunt two more does in an intensive area by buying the main tags for each season (3) and then (2) bonus tags.

NR, you are allowed 5 deer total in Minnesota, only ONE can be a legal buck. Period... I don't believe that there are any exceptions to this.

read te page i posted up and explain what it meant about the intensive harvest and being able to hunt bucks only

[quote=NaturesRespect

read te page i posted up and explain what it meant about the intensive harvest and being able to hunt bucks only

[quote name='mabr NR Look under bag limits. No more than 1 buck without exceptions!!!!!

FYOG' date=' study the regs the answers are there. Just may have to do some digging. [/quote']

seriously look at page 69 under intensive deer areas first senttence.

it clearly says "you may take a deer of either sex or you may hunt BUCKS throughout your selected season"

unless they mean i can bow a buck firearms a buck and muzzle load a buck

It is only one legal buck a year per hunter so in that area you can shoot a buck and four does or 5 does that is the limit for the regular deer season in this area. Now you could look into the early antlerless season in october where you can take 2 more does that don't count aginst you regular tags.

If you still want to raise a stink and not belive use call down to the dnr headquarters and ask them or contact your local warden.

NR, again I say go to the regs.

Not sure what page but its listed under bag limits. Its 1 buck only. You use your buck tag during bow and your done buck hunting on any other type of lisense. Only exception I know of is if your party hunting in an area that allows it. Then a buck could be shot and someone else tag it with their tag.

If you still want to raise a stink and not belive use call down to the dnr headquarters and ask them or contact your local warden.

Or go shoot 2 bucks at Cedar Creek (I think that the name of it,Near Bethel) near on your youth hunt you mentioned. You wouldnt want to pay that fine my friend.

NR, again I say go to the regs.

Not sure what page but its listed under bag limits. Its 1 buck only. You use your buck tag during bow and your done buck hunting on any other type of lisense. Only exception I know of is if your party hunting in an area that allows it. Then a buck could be shot and someone else tag it with their tag.

i gave you the page number and the line from the sentence that says it and you keep thinking im not looking at the regs

once again

page 69 under intensive deer areas clearly says "If you hunt an intensive area, you may take deer of either sex or you may hunt bucks throughout your selected season."

this time actually get your 2010 hunting and trapping regulations handbook and look it up i am not making this up!

LOL NR. I dont care what pg 69 says and neither does the DNR. Hunting bucks throughout your season is consistant with what we are telling you. AS LONG as you havent tagged a buck already with another license.

Im not going to argue with you over this. GO try it (shoot 2 bucks and tag them with your tags) and see what happens. I dont have my regulations out or available right now. But seeings you do . Go to the very front of your book. Look at bag limits for deer. 1 buck no exceptions. Its that easy. theres no getting around it NR.

Quote:
If you hunt an intensive area, you may take deer of either sex or you may hunt bucks throughout your selected season

There is nothing wrong with this line. In an intensive area, you can take deer of either sex, or you may hunt bucks throughout your selected season. However, once you shoot your buck, you are done hunting bucks for the year, no matter the season. As stated in the regulations, one legal buck per year.

if there is nothing wrong with the statement then what does the part that says you can hunt bucks throughout your selected season mean?

What dont you understand about this NR?

You can shoot one buck with a tag containing your name in MN per season. Thats it. Its very clear in the regs.

You can hunt bucks all season, but you can only shoot and tag one buck with your name on the license.

These regs are still annoying to figure out, NR is confused, I sure was confused, I know my dad still has some ideas about how he things they read that are clearly wrong I think.

It would be kinda nice if the DNR had an online question and answer page or something where when people post questions, the answer is right there for others like us to go find and read. Might help with some of the confusion.

Is it the fact that the word bucks is plural? This implies you can hunt more than one buck, you can only harvest one though. You can hunt multiple bucks, in multiple areas for that matter, but you can only tag ONE. I suggest if you are really having that much difficulty with this, that you contact the DNR, not through email, call them directly.

NR, Trigger and other this post was for my question or clarification that I needed between a buddy and I. Trigger did a great job explaining this to me with great patience, thank you. If you want to continue the bicker regarding how many bucks you can shoot please start your own post as this is going the wrong direction.

NR, if you don't believe them you can call or email the dnr and see what they say, good luck all and be safe, less then 8 hours and I will be in my stand.

Good luck,

mr