• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time out w/ GSP

CarlWBL

Sunday will be my first time out with my GSP. He passed his NA this spring and now I will be taking him grousin'. Any suggestions as to how to get him to get the grouse scent? Should I buy grouse wings and get him into the scent? My walking 8 month son has kept me pretty busy recently.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks,

Carl

Just take him hunting. He's preprogrammed to recognize bird scent. Don't waste your time with bird wings. A game farm might be a good tune up too if you can get him out before Sunday.

My breeder wanted to get him in this fall, but I haven't talked with them as I think they are prepping for a VC competition soon. I'll probably just get him out and put him to work.

Thanks.

Carl

Carl, what worked great for me was picking up a couple of live birds from Oakwood up by princeton. I clipped the flying feathers and played fetch. Once your dog knows what it is looking for hunting becomes very enjoyable.