• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Morris/Appleton Pheasants

madbomber10

I finally got a dog this year and am thinking about hunting a in these areas. What I am curious about is how much pressure does public land receive and general comments on success in these areas.

I have the best 377 day old lab in the world, so if there are birds there we will find them!!

I've been out that way pheasant huntng quite a bit the last few years and the public stuff gets pounded pretty good. You can still get birds off the public stuff but after the first couple weeks they learn real quick where its safe to sit. The last couple weeks i've been out there a couple times dove hunting and seen a few around but its wet so i'm predicting the crops will come out late again this year and late season will be better. For the best numbers though I'd head south and west of the river.

Quite a bit of pressure out there but there is plenty of ground out there and if you put in the time & effort you should find some birds.

Ditto with the above. Although there is lots of public land, but I've had a hard time getting on any private...

Most everything in the mentioned areas gets hit pretty hard until deer hunting. Then it might ease up a little until Thanksgiving weekend. December weekends are usually easier to find an open parking lot. Birds are pretty skittish by then and you and the dog really have to be on your game. Biggest obstacle I can see this year is the water, it is WET out west and SW. With another 3-4 inches predicted for thursday and friday, there will be a lot standing corn left, along with beans out that way. I was out scouting around last weekend, you can't get within 50-60 yards of a cattail area without very wet feet. Anything low has standing water and I expect most roosters to have webbed feet by the opener.

I was worried about the wet conditions just for that reason. I was talking with one of the farmers in my area and he is worried about even being able to get to his fields because of his field roads being underwater or pretty darn close to it.

I really enjoy late season pheasant hunting maybe December will be the best month to get out with the wet conditions. Having said that, if you can find dry cover near a bean or corn field...buckle up, it could be fast and furious