• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe

bassNspear

sold the cabin the there about 3 months ago and have not been on it since but it has to be higher than average at this time of year..... too much rain for it not to be.

thats what i was thinking, but i dont wanta run the river wide open if there is something that has changed, which im sure there hasnt been anything that has!

I am sitting at Schneider right now and the water is indeed higher than normal. The current in the main channel is also moving faster with the rain we've been getting. The water has also cleared up a lot.

You will see small debris in the water every now and then, but I haven't seen any true dead heads. It's mostly just been small sticks and weed clumps. Although I can't speak for the river down by Cold Spring, which is where I assume you're thinking of putting in.

Speaking of Cold Spring, a donut sounds pretty good right about now. grin

Quality panfish are starting to move shallow again with the cooler weather, we've found them on the outer weed edges in eight feet, but they need to be healthy. The cats are most active around sun up and sun down and you can just about spit and hit one.

I can't tell you much about the walleye action as I haven't targeted those.

Fairly consistent on the inside weed lines until the weather changed and they started dying off. Last time I was out they were tight to the wood and I couldn't buy a bite in the pads.

Was out on the shoe sat AM. Caught only one largemouth but many smallsmouth. Had to be in moving water. All came on crankbaits. Saw lots of folks hitting the docks but didnt' see much being caught. Water was in the upper 50's high but still warmer down about 4 feet.

Swabby

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding the boat launch for Horseshoe Lake. Is the only access on the Sauk River and if so, is it easy to navigate a 16ft. right now? I've only been out there during the winter and don't know of any other access points. Thanks!

there is an access point off of 22 just a little south of richmond, the same road you used for winter access, just not down as far. if you do use the river, there is plenty of water right now, just stay n the middle.

As pushbutton said just keep in the midddle of the river all the way into the lake and you should be fine. Depth in the river right now is 5-9 ft. Dock at the public access was under water a couple weeks back but it is just about back to nornal as of today.

Good morning,,,

I just wonder do catfish still active this time of the year?,, just want to head to HorseShoe for some catfishing but i am not sure it is doable.

Thanks.

SOFT

it wont be crazy action like it is in the summer, but they will bite.......primetime is about an hour or so before and after the sun sets and rises. look deeper during the day and way up shallow early and late.

I must time fishing the chain at exactly the wrong times. I have been out there 8-10 times this summer/fall and have nothing to show for it. Just like last night when I was out, I fished from shallow to deep, I tried shore line structure I tried main lake structure, and all kinds of jigs and baits and nothing. Is there somthing that I am missing or have I just had bad luck.

Main lake structure has been hot for the last two weeks. I have been getting walleyes, crappies and quite a few cats. Best areas have had shallow rocky bottom with deep sandy areas close by. The walleyes are real spread out on the structure with fish coming from 5-25+ ft of water. while the crappies have been holding around 18-20 ft during the day and moving right up to to top of the points in the evening. No real need to buy the spendy minnows been doing better for the eyes on fatheads and as small of jig as the wind will let me keep vertical. I think turn over is almost done as the water went from pea soup green two weeks back to an almost normal color for the chain. I have also noticed the fish are starting to hold deeper during the day so there must be oxygen in the depths again.

almost always fished the east side lakes and river, the areas between the lakes usually have a deeper hole in them and this would be my starting point. use your graph or just start deep or shallow and work your way up or down, concentrating on the steep break areas during the day and any nearby shallow structure towards evening. i agree with riverfishingmiss, pick up a scoop of fatheads....eyes, crappies, and the cats will all bite on them. similarly, as far as tackle, nothing fancy, usually the lightest jig possible to get to the desired depth. i, as well often used vertical presentations in water greater than 5 ft ish, but would sometimes cast and retrieve to try to locate active fish. good luck!