• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Water is the heaviest at 4 degrees C or 39 F. With some cold nights below freezing you will start to get some vertical movement. That usually happens when you see daytime surface temps in the low 50's. Some shallow areas on Vermilion really don't turn over, ie Pike Bay, etc.

I agree with Silver scale on that.

I also think that many years there is not a real thermocline anywhere on the lake. I think that the water just mixes in the fall, the bait fish then move deeper because they are comfortable there, and the walleyes follow them!

Cliff

Thanks for the info. I am headin to the lake for 4 days next weekend. Guessin water temps are fallin quick with these cold nights. Bringing my cousin up for his first real fishing trip and I have pretty high hopes. Put a dandy 27" walleye in the boat last week along with some other really nice walleyes. Fish suprised me in that it seemed the fish were favoring the smallest minnows I had in the bucket. Had chubs and pike suckers and the tiniest chubs outfished the suckers by at least 3 to 1. LOVE this time of year. See ya on the water!

56 degrees! Wow, am I getting excited! Thanks guys. I may 'ping' you again for a water temp up-date in a couple of weeks in anticipation of my week long musky hunt next month. I'm hoping those Whities/Ciscos starting getting frisky soon! C'mon cold weather!

Brian

Well...at least they aren't rising.

Hope to see mid 40's by season opener for the Whitefish Netting season.

Please keep the temperature updates coming. Thanks.

Removed a chunk of dock today for season...more to come out couple weeks........took a quick dip with me hounds at 1 PM...very refreashing three feet down.

Only minimum shrinkage.

smile

Removed a chunk of dock today for season...more to come out couple weeks........took a quick dip with me hounds at 1 PM...very refreashing three feet down.

Only minimum shrinkage.

smile

Tommy, your dogs shrink????? gringrin

Anyone have an updated water temp they care to share? Are we post turnover for the areas that stratify?

Thanks

53orbigger

I was up on Saturday and had 54 / 55 on Frazier and Big Bays. The fishing was vey slow with the cold front that came in on Friday night.

Fraser Bay was at 58 today. Really nice weather this week so we will probably see rising temps until the weather gets straightened out.

What's the consensus on what the warming temps will do? I'll be out on V Sunday for 'eyes/smallies, and would welcome input that would shorten the search for active fish. smile

My guess would be the stable weather pattern will kick start the bite. We graphed lots of fish in 30 FOW, but only found a few takers last Saturday. The few fish we did get were nice 16 and 17 inch keepers. This Saturday I'm going right back to the same tried and true 30 foot spots and try some prominent points for walleyes.

It will be a while yet before any turnover happens with the predicted daytime temps.

Usually the very best fall walleye bite does not start until the water reaches the 40'S on Vermilion. The past couple of years that has been in very late Oct. or November.

Cliff

Steve--hopefully I will be out on Saturday. Frasier and Oak Narrows were slow last Saturday but probably due to the front. I can give you an update.

Last weekend, Oak Narrows was 51.5 and Frasier bay was 55. Wake-em-up Sunday am was around 52.

Water temps went up only a couple of degrees, but are not dropping any the past few days!

Cliff

Hey goldfinger....

I saw 61 on Sunday but it's mostly staying in the upper 50's still. Sure different than last year. Ski's are really really slow...

Thanks silverscale.

I can't believe how warm the water still is!!!

I'd love to see a cool 45F on the temp gauge when I launch the boat next week.... but its looking like it ain't gonna happen.

So instead of a late fall trolling trip I should pack my topwaters and bucktails??? Heh heh heh.

Regardless... any time on BigV is a good time.