• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Uninsulated boots in cold weather?

311Hemi

Question

Any have much experience with uninsulated boots and use in winter? Is it possible to get enough insulation from a good pair of socks....or is that just out of the question.

My main concern is use in 0-20* weather...which most of the time will be spent walk (upland/grouse) hunting.

10 answers to this question

if I am walking, i NEVER wear insulated boots, no matter the temp You should be fine with standard upland boots and a decent pair of socks

i've hunted all day in 0 degree weather with -20 windchill ( in ND for pheasants) wearing uninsulated upland boots and one pair of socks and my feet never got cold

Deer hunting I walk quite a bit I just can't sit still for long. With the warmer winters I have tried normal hiking boots and have gotten cold toes. I like it cold too....So I would recamend a good boot with 400-600 grams insulation. I have a pair of Irish Setters that are light and I can walk all day in them and be comfortable. Also I always wear a good wool wicking sock.

I think a lot is going to depend on your specific circulation issues if any. That said, I don't have the best circulation in my feet, and if I am moving around at all, I wear a pair of merino wool socks, and uninsulated Red Wing Elk Hunter boots.

YMMV

dukhntr

I know I do fine with 400 gram thinsulate, but I am having a hard time finding a boot that fits my foot properly with that insulation. I just tried on 4 pairs of size B boots (danner and cabelas brand) that I ordered to Cabelas and non of them fit properly (not tight enough in the heel). I have one place that I can get a good uninsulated boot that they can rework to fit my heel, the place is run by a couple foot docs that know mountain/hiking boots. Otherwise I would have to look at Whites Boots. Either options is rather costly.

Not many places carry B size boots so the majority of boots in stores don't fit me, and if I want to special order them in I have to pay for them. Hard bet on something like this. The Danner Pronghorns I bought last year killed the back of my heals, and were [PoorWordUsage] as far as holding up to upland hunting. The stitching on both boots wore through after a couple 4 day trips to SD. Danner refunded my money.

I am going to have to buy a more specialized boot and possibly have it worked a bit after I check fitment as I have a haglunds deformity on the back of my heals that causes me issue as well.

I typically I just wear the Cabellas Kangaroo Upland boots with some Smart Wool socks on. About 20-25 is the coldest I have hunted that way though. Been fine for me, but I think everybody is different.

I have hunted colder than that, but there was so much snow, I wore my insulated Rocky's.

Hope you find something that works.

If your walking yes you can get enough socks in them to stay warm. If your sitting like ice fishing you will want a thick insulated sole to keep you off the cold ground and give good blood flow.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

For upland hunting I prefer a leather non insulated boot and no lining.

With that I wear wool socks or Smart wool socks.

I'm moving so keeping my feet warm isn't a problem.

Why the non insulated boot? Because more then likely I'll end up in water and if I'm pheasant hunting I for sure will be in water. If I had insulated boots on they would soak up the water and weigh too much.

If I'm on a trip for a few days they will never dry out either. Not only that the muck would ruin the boot.

I can walk in walk up to my knees, get wet feet and keep on going like nothing happened.

The wool socks even when wet keep on insulating. On a typical trip for pheasants I'll have two or three pairs of boots. While I'm out hunting there is usually one pair sitting on the hood of the truck drying out along with wool socks. What boot do I use. Army boots, if they're good enough for the boys that defend this country they're good enough for me. A lot of thought went into designing those boots, they are perfect. I have one pair that are over 30 years old.

I use Wet Proof on leather boots. Its the waxy type boot treatment. If I'm hunting grouse that application will last all day long. I can step in water and not get wet feet. If I'm hunting grassland(pheasants) I find the grass strips off the treatment in the first hour, not a big deal because as I said earlier, as sure the day is long I'll be in water over my boots anyway.

Thanks guys. Still not sure what I am going to do...but this helps. I think the non-insulated should work fine for what I will be using them for. I have sorels for ice fishing/snowmobiling.

BTW, ST....I will be up north again for Thanksgiving weekend and plan to head out grouse hunting as usual. Let me know if your interested in getting out for a bit!

I deal with arthritis issues in my feet and have tried a lot of options to find a foot care system to relieve my joint pain and keep my feet warm and dry. So I'll share what I have found so far.

I'm a big fan of the SmartWool brand of sporting socks. For your purposes with an uninsulated boot, I recommend you check out the 2 sock Hunting Sock system by SmartWool. This 2 sock system will have a very thin base layer sock, and a medium or heavy weight outer sock depending on the sock weight you chose. SmartWool uses a 4 step weave to keep the sock in place, they don't slip and bunch up in the toes of the boot and cause discomfort or blisters on your heels. They work together to keep your feet dry and in top shape.

There are also high performing foot bed insole options that will improve your boots foot bed thermal property's. One I can recommend is the PolarWrap insoles that will also help to wick moisture away from your feet and give you protection from cold transferal from the ice and frozen ground. Along with SmartWool Socks, the system works very well in uninsulated boots.

28.jpg

I also often choose to go 1/2 to 1 size larger in my boots to allow for room for thermal weight socks and to allow more air flow inside the boot. This allows for better moisture wicking away from your skin, producing a warmer and dryer foot. Given the option, go a bit larger, or a size wider, it helps.