• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How long will a can of white gas remain in usable condition?

Gadgetman

Question

Just curious how long a can of white gas will remain in usable condition. I noticed that it is now about $14 per gallon. I like to keep a gallon or two around in case of emergencies but at that price I dont want to be sitting on a bunch of bad gas. I dont believe that there is any kind of stabilizer for white gas is there?

11 answers to this question

i'm no expert on white gas but i have kept a can for 3 or 4 years between camping trips and had no problem and never used any additives. good luck.

Coleman fuel has developed rust in the can on me in just a few years just sitting on a shelf in the garage but not sure why. I still haven't figured it out.

HTB

I noticed that it is now about $14 per gallon.

Same thing as Coleman fuel, correct? I just paid $8.88 at Walmart (pretty sure it's a gallon can).

Thanks for the heads up Ralph - I will have to check out Wally world

No prob. I bought a can a couple weeks ago and was there yesterday, too. Much better than $14!

I quit buying white gas about 10 years ago and only burn unleaded gas. I have been using it in my lantern and both of my stoves,single and a double burner with no problems. Much cheaper and it comes out of the can for the lawn mower/snowblower so it is always fresh. Always Non-Oxy

I have a few cans in my garge that are several years old, 3-5 I have been trying to use them up before getting any new stuff. I have had no problems, I usually try to run my lanterns and stove down so old gas doesnt sit in them to long but I have had no issues. Alwaws inspect the can for rust or contamination first as a rule. My dad just gave me a can of coleman gas he found either in his garage or my granfathers garage that must have been about ten years old, still looks/ smells fine I plan on testing it out next year. I do have a couple of the new plactic sealed bottles that come in quart size (i think) that will get used when the old stuff is gone. Man the price has shot up on that stuff though lately. I cant imagine how must it must be at some convienence store in the sticks, they usually double or triple the price.

I've used fuel that was 10+ years old with no noticeable problems. found it in my parents garage. They haven't been camping in who knows how long.

Whoever is selling it for $14 must of bought it when gas prices were up a couple of years ago. (I'm looking at you GM) And havn't adjusted prices since then.

I laughed when I saw the $14/Gal price, then went accross the street to FF and bought it in the $8-9 range.