• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

drift socks

chrisonice

On a windy day on Mille Lacs, should I use a drift socks, anchor or go with the wind? Still deciding if I should buy a socks or not.

I wouldn't be without a sock on any water, I use mine alot. Buy at least 1 size biger than recomended if not 2. I think mines a 60" on a 17' deep v glass boat.

Heck, I carry 3 in my boat, two medium sized ones and one very large one. Each one or combo has a purpose and makes the boat do different things. I wouldn't fish without them.

Ditto ditto...dont leave home without 'em

Have had to use two more often than not. I guess the assumption is that you plan on drift fishing. I havent trolled with one per se, but definitely maneuvered the boat while drifting.

Good luck!

My ideal setup on a windy day is backtrolling with wave wackers and using a drift sock to help slow down if needed (lindy rigging). I don't have wave wackers though and it can be brutal going into the wind. I prefer not to use drift socks alone because i like to follow contours but some people will drift across the top of flats and do well when the fish are present.

I run weedlines and contours all the time with my sock, unless its real windy. Of course I use mine to cast muskies with not troll eyes.