• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I can't sleep much dreaming of those sumo greenbacks. Cannot wait to get up there. You north of the border guys can certainly go ahead and tease us once in awhile as it gets closer to game time..... I love the pictures. See you in October.

Jig jig crank crank,

WG

What is the weapon of choice for the fall greenbacks?

Jig 'em? Cranks?

It sound like the place to be for trophy fishing next month.

Thanks,

tweed

Hey Tweed:

Like Scoot said either or both. Some years up there it is more of a jig bite so we spend more time jigging. If they are going on cranks we will spend most of our time doing that even though you will be catching them jigging as well.

Nice to mix it up a bit. I like both methods and it is fun when a pig hits whether it is on FT shadrap or green/orange flash jig. smile

WG

That's good to hear. How's the Red running with all the rainfall this year? I heard all the gates were opened at Lockport already?, and current running hard?

Current is not the problem most of the time, it is the turbidity caused by heavy late season run off from freshly harvested fields.

The current is a key factor to pull in the walleye up into the river, so that is good.

Yet the turbidity makes fishing tough at times. Anchoring up and patient vertical jigging is the norm tell the waters clear up as the water cools. Colder water clears quickest, as it quickly settles the suspended particulates that produce the turbid water.

The word is, they are moving in, and some respectable fish are starting to be caught. It gets better as time rolls on. No new heavy rains would help speed things along.

Thanks for the info Ed. Looks like I hope for cold water current around October 11-17. I always enjoy this trip was just hoping the Red wasn't like two years ago when it was high and hard, however, went to Pine Falls as a backup option for the first time and still had a great trip!

Ed is right on what is the norm,,,,,

another approach is to troll very slow with leadcore and orange

floating cranks like the Gary Roach Smithwick Rogues or #11 Rapala's

You might wish to add a few #5 and #6 Holographic Hot Perch Salmo Hornets to your box too. Maybe a Hot Tiger Zipper and a Glow Tiger Zipper, or two.

wink

Me thinks Salmo Whitefish too. smile

Ed:

Did Salmo change their Whitefish lineup some? I don't see the green/gold in the non-jointed version anymore. Just in the jointed version.

WG

• 3 weeks later...

fishing is not the best in the red right now. Still high and dirty. Some guys have been doing ok in very shallow water.

Me thinks Salmo Whitefish too. smile

Ed:

Did Salmo change their Whitefish lineup some? I don't see the green/gold in the non-jointed version anymore. Just in the jointed version.

WG

Some change yes. You can call/e-mail Salmo USA and check on availability of colors your looking for. They may have some handy.

The Holographic Glow Perch Hornet and the Orange Perch in #5 and #6 Hornets would be a wise addition to your kit for up there. smile

Thanks Ed, will give Salmo a buzz.

Pine Falls was very good. Jigging worked good although with the wind we didn't want to try pulling cranks. Not much for big fish in yet. Biggest was 26.5 inches. I would suspect within the next week they should show up. Water temp in the bay was 54 degrees on our last day(yesterday). The tournament up there didn't produce any big fish either although a gal caught a sumo magnum the tournament before last.

Any update information on the Red at Selkirk?

Thanks,

WG

We just got back yesterday after 4 days of fishing on the Red, and turned out to be the best year yet out of the last 8. Caught roughly 40-50 greenies in the 18-23 inch ranger, 6 from 25-27 inches, 9lber, 10.5, 11, and 13.5lber, plus lots of sauger, and a few unwanted bullheads. There we times were we'd go 1-2 hours with no bite, and things just turned after that. We fished a lot shallower compared to most years, and I would suggest going north of Netly Creek. Anything to the South of Netley is to dirty and to much current. Seen some other good fish caugth around us as well. Seamed to me a lot more of the 7-8 lb fish this year. It was really mixed reports. Talked to some of the boats and they seamed to catch nothing, and other did alright. I really belive that you find a spot that you are getting into some greanies, and you stay put for most of the day. It is just a matter of time before that big one swims by. The more time you keep jumping around is less time your jig is in the water.

We just got back yesterday after 4 days of fishing on the Red, and turned out to be the best year yet out of the last 8. Caught roughly 40-50 greenies in the 18-23 inch ranger, 6 from 25-27 inches, 9lber, 10.5, 11, and 13.5lber, plus lots of sauger, and a few unwanted bullheads. There we times were we'd go 1-2 hours with no bite, and things just turned after that. We fished a lot shallower compared to most years, and I would suggest going north of Netly Creek. Anything to the South of Netley is to dirty and to much current. Seen some other good fish caugth around us as well. Seamed to me a lot more of the 7-8 lb fish this year. It was really mixed reports. Talked to some of the boats and they seamed to catch nothing, and other did alright. I really belive that you find a spot that you are getting into some greanies, and you stay put for most of the day. It is just a matter of time before that big one swims by. The more time you keep jumping around is less time your jig is in the water.

Good report, thanks for the feedback. Some very good advice there too.

under 10ft. would be shallow this time of year. Some guys are catching in as shallow as 3ft. depends on the wind direction and the amount of current.

Shallow can also be right up against and into the flooded willows and reeds, 1' to 4'.

Lee hit it on the head, current and wind will push them in close and the water is very often much cleaner there as reeds are a natural water filtration system. With cleaner water to work with, they find feeding easier to do.

Another factor or pattern I see in the fall is reeds generate heat due to natural seasonal decay. And 1 - 3 degrees difference in water temp very close to a reed line is not unusual.

As the temps drop in the main channel, forage may find this very appealing, and the walleye will as well.

I have seen big eyes backed right up into the reeds in ambush positions, waiting for forage to stroll on by. A nice cozy warm blind to hunt from.

Big eyes are not stupid, they have there hunting tricks too.

Going green this weekend! From the looks of it we are going to be hitting it right! Much cooler water temps. Greenies are going to have the feed bags on! I can not wait!!! Plan is to hit Pine Falls hard. We know where they will be wink We will keep ya posted. Wish us luck..