• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Humane Society coming after our hunting rights

jeffreyd

Here is a quote in regard to the House bill up for vote in AZ 109. This is from the Director of the US Humane Society, dont think it wont happen to you, guess again.

"Anti-hunting forces are beginning to fight against Prop. 109. HSUS’ Wayne Pacelle led the anti-hunting radicals last week in a press conference announcing formal opposition to Proposition 109. These extremists will bring their proven tool bag of public deception and try to frame a permanent constitutional protection for hunting and fishing in a negative light. The proposed provision contains language that specifies that laws and rules regulating hunting and fishing “shall have the purpose of wildlife conservation and management.” This is specifically intended to remove politics and emotion from wildlife management. This concerns Mr. Pacelle and his followers because they operate solely on politics and emotion on every level. Many quotes capture his radical anti-hunting beliefs and agenda. One quote in particular explains the deceptive tactics, incrementalism and patience he utilizes. It is from an interview recounted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture, and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote:

Interviewer - "About fishing ... do you avoid campaigning against it because there isn't a ground-swell movement in our culture to eliminate it?"

Wayne Pacelle - "That is correct. We're out to minimize suffering wherever it can be done, and wherever our limited resources can be utilized most effectively—abusive forms of hunting for now, all hunting eventually."

The threat is certainly out there and Prop. 109 protects the invaluable heritage of hunting and fishing for future generations of Arizonans. Please stay informed and educate your friends, family, and fellow citizens! Visit [Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

for more information or find us on Facebook, “Yes on 109,” to stay updated as we move toward November 2."

Sorry but the language and the tone of the piece reeks of typical NRA drum pounding always designed to upset people and get them to join/donate. I don't know a thing about the proposed bill but I can sleep easily at night knowing that Arizona has about zero chance of adopting anything to limit hunting.

I have to disagree simply on the fact that in the 90's they banned trapping and some fur bearing sports. Not sure why you think that this is the NRA drumming, as i know for fact the group that is sponsoring the bill is not the NRA. As with many bills and amendments, ie: Chicago handgun law, DC handgun law, and others the NRA will tag on when they feel it has a warranted need.

Clearly you have not read about the Center for Biological Diversity going after the EPA and banning lead, you have not followed the various bills to remove and reassign the wolf on and off the ES listing, nor have you seen any of the commercials from various groups that are pushing people into the mode or sense that animals are not causing habitat destruction or issues, humans are.

Check up on Sandy Barr the Sierra Club representative and see what she has to say about hunting and fishing in AZ. Maybe her thoughts will change your mind. Doubt it as you seem to subscribe to the thought that "it wont happen to me".

Actually my post came from a sportsman's newsletter based here in Phoenix. I will get the sponsor of the bill and the original legislative information and post it for you to review. So either you agree or do not agree but I for one feel that my ability to hunt is a right, not a privilege and would not want to loose either one to an group that feels it is wrong to hunt and fish. Those who do should loose many points on their man cards.

Here is more info and my fault it is proposition 109 not bill. HCR2008 is the house bill.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/090710_hunting_fishing

NOw now, no name calling. The greatest thing about our democracy and websites like this is our ability to disagree. Please show respect. Feel free to discuss the things you're passionate about, but please don't make insulting remarks because someone disagrees.

To Mr. Bobby Malone's point, your newsletter copied the info from the NRA's press release then and either way, the original source is the NRA. Not that their is anything wrong with that, its just that some of that info is hard to read even if you're a conservative outdoorsman.

Minnesota voted several years ago to make "hunting and fishing" a right and amended our state constitution to do so. It is a valiant effort.

I again will state that my source is not the NRA, it is the Sportsman for Wildlife newsletter that I took the statement from. These are the people who I personally know and respect that approached Rep Weirs to push this bill through. Clearly by the link i provided from the Tucson Sentinel, that the HSUS director made these statements in a public speech. http://www. tucsonsentinel. com/local/report/090710_hunting_fishing

I apologize for my strong verbiage. By no means is this a method to get a point impressed upon anyone. While I think that there are many who will agree that we have the right to fish and hunt, there is clear evidence that many other states have followed suite. I intend no offense toward anyone personally simply trying to bring light to an issue that is going to plague many citizens. The state of mn having passed the "right" to hunt and fish, has clearly been defined, I would only hope that those same people would defend my right as a citizen of AZ to do the same.

Again I intended no offense and thank Power stroke for bringing it to my attention. Jeff

Jeffrey, the link I deleted from your post was a link directly to the NRA which is why I deleted it. Forum policy prohibits the linking to most websites. Since you are talking about rights for citizens of AZ, yes we can support you in that endevor, but please stay within forum policy.

While some forms of hunting, and trapping may be easy targets for the antis, I have serious doubts the federal and state governing bodies would ever consider totally eliminating hunting and fishing altogether.

Both outdoor activities support multi-million dollar budgets in most states across the nation, particularly in Minnesota (not to leave AZ out of the picture).

The ban on lead has already been shot down. However, they are considering some new stipulations for fishing tackle in light of what's already been implemented with ammunition, and some fishing equipment. According to the recorded data, some 10-20 million animals die each year due to lead poisoning picked up in the environment - so it's probably not an entirely bad thing to attempt to stem this problem.

The day our country outlaws hunting and fishing I'll eat my entire fishing tackle collection, and throw myself into the river.

Sam, Sam, If you go and do that you would be quite illegal, as you would have way too many hooks to be a legal lure in Minnesota waters....

Since you can walk into Wal Mart in Apache Junction and stroll past guys packing a Browning Hi-Power on their hip and other folks packing various handguns openly I too have little fear AZ is going to abolish much hunting and fishing.

This issue always makes me nervous because there is the danger people will react against their LOCAL Humane Society in response to Mr.Pacelle and his folks. Please.....do all you can to clearly FOCUS the anger against the "antis".

Thank you.....

now where'd I put that durned 45-70 I was cleaning?

Pick, the link was actually from the tucson sentinel newspaper. While i appreciate the policy about sources, this is why I did not take if from anyone but a newspaper. The NRA piece stated the interview that was done with the director of the humane society. So not sure where that misses the mark in the policy?

To Ufatz, I can walk into any place now packing a weapon either concealed or not. The new law says that any legal citizen of AZ can carry a weapon concealed or showing without a permit. I think the point of the message is being mistaken. The Humane Society and other groups are trying to oppose the very same law that MN passed to give me a resident and citizen of AZ the "right" to hunt and fish and not to say that this is simply a privilege.

Sam, the state is not trying to ban hunting and fishing, the voters are being asked to vote Yes to a proposition that would give citizens the "right" to hunt and fish and make it harder for environmental groups to come in and outlaw or take our right away from us. We have a slew of groups right here in az that are home based. The biggest hater of sportsman is Center for Biological Diversity. They are the ones that supplied the notice to the EPA about banning lead. Don't think for a minute they are done with that issue, they are only fine tuning.

jeffreyd. Then why would anyone in their "right" mind vote NO? If I'm not mistaken, it's already a constitutional (Federal) RIGHT to provide for your family by means of hunting and fishing for wild game.

I wouldn't get to worked up about it. They'll keep slinging rocks at us, and we'll just keep bouncing them away.

If nothing else in this life I've learned, I think people will generally complain if their ice-cream is too cold. You take the meat with the bones, and toss the bones aside.

Canopy Sam is on the right track. This issue has come up in many states and in most places it passes or fades away. Most politicians and constitutional lawyers sorta go "ho hum" about it because it IS an implied "right" now and passage of such legislation really accomplishes nothing other than make all the hunters and fishers feel better and that makes the politicians happy too.

The NRA is often credited with generating and feeding these "rights fights" since it keeps sportsmen fired up and that's what feeds the NRA piggy-bank. If it makes you feel better vote YES. By raising the issue though, you INVITE the anti's to come in and fill your state with their propaganda.

Take several deep breaths and think peaceful, pleasant thoughts. Like the happy look on a Labrador puppies chubby little face!!

This issue always makes me nervous because there is the danger people will react against their LOCAL Humane Society in response to Mr.Pacelle and his folks.

+1

Very few local humane societies receive support from the Humane Society of the United States. Local humane societies are independent of the HSUS.