• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

white tail caliber ?

jay83196

Wanting to get a New browning bar for deer hunting and wondering what caliber to get. Where I hunt the average shot would be less than 200 yds I have caliber guns now from 25wssm to weatherby 30-378 but all bolt action and I want a semi auto (excuse for a new gun basically) and would like some opinions what other people have good success with nothing too small but big enough to get the job done.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jay83196

• swamptiger

• BobT

• WalleyeGod

My preference of choice hands down is 30-06. Reliable, plenty of power, large range of bullet weights, easy to get ammunition....

My next choice for white tail deer would be .270. Pretty much the same reasons as the '-06 with a little less recoil to deal with.

BAR lightweight in Mossy Oak Breakup - .308 is 6lbs. 9ozs. - nice & light for an automatic, and .308 has the widest range of bullet choices of any caliber if you want to use it for something else.

I love my Bar .270. Takes down Deer and Bear no problem. Plus If you ever did want to use it out west its a good distance gun too.

Appreciate all the opinions keep them coming, I have a 270 kinda want little bigger or maybe just want a different caliber than I have. I don't have a 30-06 or a 308 leaning towards those or 300 mag? Not sure if need that much zip of 300 mag with already having the 30-378 If I need the extra distance or punch. Does 30-06 have enough energy for bear or long distance 300 yds plus?

A 30-06 will have enough energy to drop a bear. If you're looking for a 300+ yard caliber, two options that I can attest to...

a) 7mm Rem Mag

B) .270 Win

I'd also vote for .30-06. 7mm Mag is another great choice.

I also have a 7mm-08 and like it a lot, but you said you wanted something a little bigger than a .270 so a .30-06 or a 7mm Mag would be your best choices IMO. Ain't shopping fun.

The B.A.R. is a fine weapon. I have a .270 and a .338 Win Mag. I would not part with either of them. Whatever caliber you decide to go with you will not be disappointed. My 16 year old son hunts with my .338.

Thanks leaning towards 30-06 because such versatile round and ballistics are in area I think I need. Many of the other calibers are great but I have several of them in my bolt actions and just want something new. Wondering how far some of you have or would take shot with this caliber .

If you look at the bullet trajectories and energy for any of the calibers mentioned, there's really not a lot of difference - 6 to 9 inches of drop at 300 yards, 20 to 30 inches of drop at 400 yards. 300 yards is about the limit for accurate shooting, unless you really spend a lot of time at the range.

The longest shot that I have made in the field according to a range finder was 144 yards. I was in a tree stand and the buck was a little down hill. It was a 150 grain bullet out of a Remington semiautomatic.

Swamptiger, I agree.

However, I recently purchased a .243 for my 11-yr. old daughter. This'll be her first year hunting the youth deer season. If a nice adult doe or buck walks into her shooting field, and she places a reasonably good shot, what can we expect for knock down power?

I'm guessing, just based on bullet size, and caliber of rifle, the animal, even hit in the vitals, might run for a while?

I don't have much experience with a .243, but I know a lot of people use them. I always thought the .243 bullet was a little light, so bullet placement is probably even more important. From what I've seen, the light, high velocity bullets do more damage to the meat, if you happen to hit them in the wrong place.

From my experience, shot placement is a lot more of a factor than power.

I have to agree with that. A bigger gun doesn't make a poor shot a good shot. Following this thread I've been surprised by the bigger calibers mentioned. Around here most people shoot 243's. My Dad did try a 270 for a few years but after a couple of bad shots where he hit a front shoulder he decided that it ruined too much meat and put it back in the cabinet. He has carried the same rifle for over 50 years and it still looks like it just came out of the box new. I've carried the same rifle for 40 years but it looks like I have drug it through the woods behind my truck. eek Most of the damage happened when I was still in my "teen" years tho. grin

EDIT, I just saw CANOPY SAMS post. She'll love the 243. With less kick she will have less trouble with flinching. My daughter started with a Rem. Model 7 carbine in 243. I love that gun. Once in awhile when she is not around I take it out for a walk. grin

swamptiger, "a little light"? Shot placement!!! gringrin

Hey kelly..

I won't knock the .243 because I know there's a lot of them around - just never had one myself. I met a guide out in Colorado a few years back who used one for elk, so what can you say... whistle

For that gun I would say .308 win. The short action calibers feed much more smoothly than the longer calibers. It would make that gun much more reliable. So hands down in that gun you just can't beat the .308

Quote:
For that gun I would say .308 win. The short action calibers feed much more smoothly than the longer calibers. It would make that gun much more reliable. So hands down in that gun you just can't beat the .308

That's my thinking too... and bullet weights from 110 gr. to 180 gr. are readily available, so lots of options depending on what and where you are hunting. If you're going to Alaska to hunt big bear or moose, you probably want something heavier.

Killed a deer & a caribou both with a 30.06 in that 240-250 range, no problem. (Not at the same time.) Killed a few other deer at various distances from 100-200 yards. Haven't shot anything over a 100 yards with anything else other than the 30.06. The exception would be a couple deer just over 100 with the shotgun. I hope to let you know how it does/did on elk & antelope in a few weeks...

Still think placement is the key. Did kill a couple deer with an old 7.65 Argentine Mouser I borrowed from my Uncle a couple of times that shot really high. When it hit them it killed them.

I don't have much experience with a .243, but I know a lot of people use them. I always thought the .243 bullet was a little light, so bullet placement is probably even more important. From what I've seen, the light, high velocity bullets do more damage to the meat, if you happen to hit them in the wrong place.

My daughter uses a .243. Two shots, two deer dead. Forgto to mention one deer made it about 30 yards the other...well...he didn't know what hit him.

My thoughts about the 300 yards and beyond for bear are confusing, is that how lots of bears are downed at 300+ ? just go 30-06 and call it good. You won't be disappointed.

I would think maybe on grizzlies, but black bears are pretty much up close & personal most of the time aren't they? They're pretty much in the woods from what I know, that probably doesn't say much.