• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Keeping Warm

elkhuntingfan

I have always struggled to keep warm without having to bring half my closet. When I hunt in cold weather, I wear several layers, including a big, heavy wool coat. I have the Cabelas base layer and that helps a lot. Most of the other layers are wool. I would like to ditch the heavy wool, but I want to know what lightweight material insulates the best. How do others stay warm without 50 pounds of clothes on their back?

You might laugh a bit if you see me in a stand, but I have a light-weight camo sleeping bag I pack along. I wear base layers, pants, coat, and maybe light wool pants, depending on how cold it is. Basically enough to keep me warm on the walk in without sweating. Then when I get up in the stand, on goes the sleeping bag. The zipper on the bottom is broke out so I can stand up if needed and I have a "custom" draw string on top that I put around my chest. It's not neccessarily pretty, but you'd be amazed at how warm it is. Wouldn't recommend it for rifle season as you cover up all your orange, but it's awesome for late season bow hunting.

I like to use a combination of layers, warm clothes and hand warmers. I basically use a combination of 4 layers. I have an outer layer that is my blaze or camo, its insulated but I wouldn't want to go into the arctic with this stuff. The one thing about my outer layer is its very large so I can fit plenty of clothes under it. Next I have my insulation later, goose down jacket and insulated underwear usually do the trick for me, under that I might have a layer of fleece and then a wicking base layer.

Most of the time my feet get cold first so I got myself a nice pair of boots. I've tried every sock available but I have had the best luck with one pair of wool socks and some 10 hour toe warmers. I have also used the boot blankets with hand warmers and they also work well. On my hands I wear a thin pair of wool gloves and stick them in a muff with hand warmers. I also wear a full face mask and an extra hat on top of that.

This combo has kept me in the stand all day in -20 weather, nothing like hearing the trees pop all day long waiting for the deer to not show up. If its below zero all day I will bring along a small propane heater for the stand. It doesn't do much but its nice to turn on around noon to help you warm up a little and maybe un-thaw your lunch. You can also use those body hand warmers and put them in your pockets under your insulation layer, nothing like a little extra heater under your warm layers to keep you on the stand.

I have found hand warmers to be extremely helpful in keeping warm. Well foot warmers actually. I like the ones that have a sticky side, I have found it really helps if you stick a couple of those on the outside of your base layer by your chest. Seems to keep you heated from the inside out

I've purchased 3 things in the past couple of years that have me as warm as I'd ever want to be. The first are merino wool base layers. Yes they are expensive, but they keep you warmer than anything else and if you get sweaty walking to your stand they still keep you warm even if they're a little wet. Secondly, a hand muff. Much warmer than gloves or mittens and you don't have to worry about taking bulky gloves off to shoot. Lastly, a neck gaiter. For some reason, if I keep my neck and face warm the rest of my body feels a LOT warmer (I suppose a lot of blood flows through there so it's good to keep it warm).

Definitely protect the neck! Also, avoid sweating as much as possible. If that means taking extra time getting into your stand then so be it. Besides, still hunting my way to my stand can be just as effective as sitting in my stand.

A simple and cheap fleece balaclava - fits in your pocket and packs a real warmth punch. During extended sitting in cold weather, the balaclava is the last layer to be added, and it never fails to give me another hour or so of comfort.

Yep, invest in a neck gaitor and keep your head warm and your extremities will thank you for it. In December, I bring out the wool bibs. Make sure to have a layer that blocks that wind as well.

since I've gone to moisture wickening base clothing-I hardly ever get cold. My biggest problem was over dressing and sweating. I now enter the woods without my heavy parka and bibs, but put them on just short of my stand. What ever I sweat gets off the skin and keeps me warm. I Second the muff and balaclava... and a nice hot thermos of coffee!

I hunt till the last day of deer season tags permitting. And I wouldnt get in my stand without chemical hand warmers 2 for feet, 2 for hands inside hand muffs. Good till -20 so far for 3-4 hour stretch. Also have baclavia for head that time of year.

I use Hot Chilly's base layers (designed for skiers so they wick moisture really well), then on top of my legs goes fleece pants followed by insulated wool hunting pants from Cabelas. I'm a huge fan of wool for the lower half cause even if it gets wet from the snow, it keeps on insulating. On top I use Hot Chilly's, a tighter fitting fleece pullover, a Kavu pullover (it's a combination of wool and synthetics), a goose down vest and then a coat. Seems like a lot, but the layers aren't buky and I can move freely with them on.

My feet have always been an issue so I use Smartwool socks, a couple of handwarmers and a great pair of boots. On really cold days I switch to the Ice Kings and bring a fleece blanket to wrap them in right when I get to the stand. The thing to remember is to insulate as soon as you get to the stand (sleeping bag, hand warmers, blankets, etc.) cause once you're cold it's hard to really ever get warm again while you're outside.

Try solid fuel handwarmers and a back brace. Sew pockets into the brace and insert the handwarmers into the pockets. The pockets should be in the lower back area. It will provide direct warmth to your core without interference from your skeletal system. A simple trick to try at home to understand what I'm talking about. The next time your taking a hot shower in a cold bathroom let the water hit you directly in the small of your back, you will notice that you immediately feel warmer all over, then switch back to having the water hit on your shoulders or chest. you will feel a chill just as quickly. This is because the heat is getting directly to your internal organs, no bones in the way. I learned this little trick while walking wingtips of B-52s and B-1s in North Dakota winters. It's inexpensive and effective. If it gets warmer out or you get too warm all you have to do is reach back and slide the handwarmers out of the pockets in the brace and move them to a coat pocket until you need them again.

I've finally learned to carry my warm boots (ad clothes) if possible and just wear tennis shoes for the walk out. Keeps the boots dry until in the stand. Cold feet ruin a day awful quickly sometimes.

DD

I know I've said this plenty of times but the only thing you need is a HEATER BODY SUIT. Plain and simple, they work! You will not get cold. I don't have a sponsorship with them. I am not affiliated with them in any way. A heater body suit is the last piece of warm clothing you will ever need. They are lightweight, there's no batteries or anything like that. When you need to shoot it opens up in less than a second. If you get cold you can send it back and they will give you your money back. Trust me though, that won't happen.

When you need to shoot it opens up in less than a second.

I've heard many good things about the heater body suite and I have no doubt that they work great. The extra movement and the time it takes getting them off when you need to shoot is the big issue for me. I bet it works fine for most deer but most of the time I'm after a big buck and any extra movement or time could make or break a hunt.

The funny thing is it conceals a lot of your movement. You can grab things out of your pocket or scratch an itch without out being noticed because its all inside the suit. That is all I shoot is big bucks and I can tell you that suit has been the reason why several times. I would have been out of my stand from being cold on many occasions without it.

I know I've said this plenty of times but the only thing you need is a HEATER BODY SUIT. Plain and simple, they work! You will not get cold. I don't have a sponsorship with them. I am not affiliated with them in any way. A heater body suit is the last piece of warm clothing you will ever need. They are lightweight, there's no batteries or anything like that. When you need to shoot it opens up in less than a second. If you get cold you can send it back and they will give you your money back. Trust me though, that won't happen.

I was wondering whether anyone would mention the Heater Body suit in this thread, I've lusted after one of them for years but still haven't bought one. What color camo did you go for? How about sizing, how big are you and what size did you get?

I'm a young 26 years and haven't upgraded to the very expensive gear yet, so here's how I stay warm.

My boots aren't the best, but i'm notorious for hot feet, so usually 1 pair of wool socks, sometimes two are accompanied with the boots.

A good pair of gloves, that i keep as dry as possible. In wet conditions i'll often not wear gloves.

Neck warmer is a must, as well as a facemask and stalking hat.

I have two pairs of carhart coveralls, one is very thick and warm, the other is good for =+32 degrees. Neither are good for wet conditions, but i purchased very good raingear this year, so no problem there.

I wear thermo underwear, jeans, and coveralls.

My coat is typically carhart, but underneath i wear a few different layers including fleece and wool sweater depending on the forecast.

I always have an orange back pack which contains the following:

Hand warmers, foot warmers, Coffee thermos, (hat or facemast, whichever i'm not wearing) Extra pair of gloves, Extra pair of socks, a Fleece coat that can fit under my carhart coat, some food and water (helps to keep you warm when you eat/snack).

What the backpack provides is the ability to put layers on or take layers off when in the field.

Often after sitting for a while i'll have to push some woods. I take off my coveralls and put them through the straps of my back pack for easy trasport. I also carry a ground blind (consisting of 4 stakes and leaf cut camo) in the pack. And a chair to keep my butt off the cold ground. This acts as a wind break more times than not and allows for some movement without being noticed.

Basically all of this is to keep me dry. If i'm walking and getting hot, i remove layers...vise versa when cold. The back pack is storage for any hunting supplies, and extra layers. I find myself putting layers into my pack more times than i am removing them.

Can't wait for november!!

Blackjack,

If you go to their websight they have sizing for height and weight. Back when I bought mine there was only one camo pattern so you will just have to pick the one that fits your surroundings best. There is one down side to always being warm in a deerstand... It makes you a little sleepy! smile

The funny thing is it conceals a lot of your movement. You can grab things out of your pocket or scratch an itch without out being noticed because its all inside the suit. That is all I shoot is big bucks and I can tell you that suit has been the reason why several times. I would have been out of my stand from being cold on many occasions without it.

I guess concealing your movement is one benefit but eventually you have to move and get out of your suite if your going to take a shot. For me its the same reason I don't hunt out of an enclosed box blind with windows and a heater, the one extra step could cost you a big buck. Now a lot of times this might not be an issue but eventually it will happen.

I hunt out of a climber 95% of the time and either have my bow hanging right in front of me or my gun on the holder in front of me. As far as coming out of the suit all you have to do is bring your arms forward and you're ready to shoot. There's straps that go around your shoulders so the suit doesn't just fall down when you open it up. They have a few video's of it on there website as well. I'm pretty skeptical of things as well until I try them for myself and maybe some people don't like the suits but I've never heard anyone say they didn't. I have talked over 30 people into buying them and no one ever sent theirs back. They all love them. Like I said, I have no affiliation with them at all. I just think it's an awesome product.

Cold feet are what usually gets me. I have quality boots and have tried all sorts of sock combinations but nothing has ever worked - UNTIL I started using boot blankets. Just zip them right over your boots when you get to your stand or blind and you're good to go. I often thrown a heat pack in each one and have sat all day through frigid temps during prime season with my feet feeling nice and toasty. It's about a $40 investment that pays big dividends.

Cold feet are what usually gets me. I have quality boots and have tried all sorts of sock combinations but nothing has ever worked - UNTIL I started using boot blankets. Just zip them right over your boots when you get to your stand or blind and you're good to go. I often thrown a heat pack in each one and have sat all day through frigid temps during prime season with my feet feeling nice and toasty. It's about a $40 investment that pays big dividends.

I've got a pair of those boot blankets, they are definately warm, but what I don't like about them is that they are slippery!!! Any frost or snow on your stand, be careful!!! Consequently they spend most of their time riding around in my truck survival kit.

I also have the boot blankets and like them, the only problem is they are a little bulky, if you need to move into position for a shot its easy to scrape them on something and make some unwanted noise.

Boy, great information here. I seem to have more trouble keeping warm outside every year I get older. Still doesn't keep me indoors though! laugh Thanks for all the terrific suggestions. Excellent topic.

The heater body suit is expesive but they work great, much better than when I used a sleeping bag. I've had mine for 10 years and will easily get another 20 out if. Using it 5 times a year it comes to a little over $2 a day to stay nice and toasty warm. Sometimes you just have to rationalize "toys" grin