• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting in the willows

ac777

Howdy, I know you all are getting ready for the season. I for one am pretty excited myself.

Heres a little somethin to rack your brains over. in the photo below I saw a nice buck head into the area I have marked "willows". (technically they are thick small cottonwoods, but people around here call them willows) There are beans around the willows but they are already turned so not as attractive. Corn to the south, turning as well. The white on the map is swamp, low lying area. Seen some smaller bucks in there with the trail cam. I am thinking the bigger buck likes those willows due to how thick they are, but has anyone tried hunting in these before? Ive got an area picked out where Id like to hang a stand, but I thought it'd be fun to see if anyone else has any different input. Thank you and enjoy.... OSHKOSHWMA.png

I see a hot spot there they will run that willow line. Should make a good early season rub area.We have a setup that looks much the same and the willows are getting tore up now, only trouble is hanging a portable is kinda tricky in the scrub trees. good luck.

Looks like a great spot but difficult getting a stand in there. I've got a similar spot up north. Do you have a ground blind? Brush it in REALLY good on the corn side. The other option would be to just kneel next to a willow clump. I've done this as deer filtered past out of the willows into a hayfield. Definitley a rubbing area... it'll be tore up for sure.

I am a big fan of hunting swamp/slough areas! And with the corn and beans close by you can bet those deer are hanging in the slough as well! I would be one to find a tree where you could get high enough to overlook the slough and find a well beaten down path in the slough! Is the swamp full of cat-tails? How much water is in it?

Just a FYI for every looking at their "spots" via satalite image google earth. I found that if you use the browser bing.com(very similar to google), but the maps I think are better and you can click to look at something in BIRDS EYE VIEW. This is located on the top of the map by the other veiw options and it allows a much more clear image, you may have to install something,but its very easy to do.

Take a look its pretty neat if your impressed with the arial views.