• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Latest Fishin' reports

Coming up this weekend to spend sometime for eyes @ Sha Sha. Haven't seen any new reports recently...have had luck in the past on live bait rigs/jigs...just wondering if the leadcore is a great option?

Thank you,

LindyR

LindyRigger,

I posted last week for east of the Brule Narrows in the main fishing reports section. We did great the day that the wind finally stopped blowing so we could get out on the main lake! The little bit of time that we did try trolling leadcore was very rewarding. I just drove around the deep areas (50'-90') adjacent to the reefs looking for fish/baitfish. When I found some good schools we'd get lined up and troll through them (parallel to the reef) ussually 5-6 colors of lead, a 50 foot florocarbon leader, and a jointed shad rap in silver shad color at the end. I woulda trolled more, but we had already caught our limits right away in the morning on long snelled lindy's and figured we should stop hooking walleyes or be prepared to be harrased by the Fed's.

I know I'd love to make it up for a fall trip but I'm running thin on vacation time, so I'm gonna have to pass till' next year. Good luck!

Thanks for the great info BigPikeGuy,

We have always done well with the obvious bait choices...but I finally got hooked on the leadcore and definitely want to give it a try up there.

I will let you know how we do!

LindyRigger

Do you guys use lead core to just get the lures down deeper? How is the "feel" when bringing a fish in with that of the lead core compared to regular?

can you give a few tips on how to rig? Like do you use a long stretch of mono at the end and how long? etc?

Thanks!

Hoffer

Hoffer,

Too many details to explain leadcore completely on here, but there are a lot of web links that will get into detail for ya. My leadcore setups are for Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan and I've just adapted them to walleye fishing a little bit. They are definately everkill. Leadcore "generally" sinks at a rate of 5' for every 10 yards of line in the water (2mph - 3pmh) until you reach a depth of 50' or so. At that point the drag on the line causes a slower sink rate.

As far as the feel when pulling a fishing in, when a walleye hits a leadcore set-up, the rod generally just slowly bends over. The fight is more of a dragging process, but still a fun way to catch fish! You need to pay close attention to rod bend or else you'll drag around a small fish all day and not even know it.

I use a 50' - 70' length of florocarbon line at the end my lend core tied directly to the lure.