• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

to the horrible person who tried to wreck my season!!

Abndoc

Well like everyone else, i'm pacing everynight. I went out last week and hung 2 stands on some private land that I have permission to hunt on...bordering public land. Got done early with work today and decided to take a walk...guess what some person took both of my stands. Left my steps and safety strap laying at the base of my tree. Thanks to another great person giving hunters a bad name. I hope you are rewarded with some great karma this season. Luckly I have a wife who upon my phone call said, well you better head out to cabela's in search of a few new stands. My season might be delayed by a few days, but it's definitly not over.

Bummer, hasn't happened to me. Tresspassers and thieves have no morals at all. I can see accidentally tresspassing but stealing, not acceptable nor tolerated. Make sure you talk with the land owner to make sure someone didn't turn it

I'm assuming you checked with the landowner already? Maybe someone/family he gave permission to didn't know anyone else was hunting. If that's not the case, that's a huge bummer. I haven't had a stand take legs yet but I'm all familiar with all the work that's involved in hanging them and I feel your pain. The good news is, you have permission to go shopping!

Keep an eye on (the list that craig has), probably a long shot, but you just might find your stand for sale and catch the fool.

Put a cheap stand up in the same tree and guard it with a no flash trail camera and see who you get.

Calvin, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I have an old one I don't use and she's going out there tomorrow. I did call the landowner, same as last year, I'm the only one...Its just to bad they didn't just sit in stands this coming weekend they are in great spots.

I have never used a climber, I'm thinking the area close to the property line of the public land i will use a climber, anyone have any recommendations?

That stinks and I feel your pain. I have had a stand stolen before and it is an especially crushing blow when you head out in the dark ready to hunt and get to the tree and there is no stand there anymore. If I hang one early I'll remove the first four or five steps just to take away the easy oppurtunity. I also took the time to use a metal etching tool and write my name number and address in a couple less then conspicuious spots so if the stand is stolen I can identify it. Good luck, hopefully karma will get you a nice reward this fall!

Tunrevir~

Summit Viper is a very comfy climber that takes a little getting used to to get it set up and taken down quietly but once you have that figured out you might really like it.

I have a hard time hunting out of a regular hang on these days unless I know I am in THE TREE. The ability to move a few trees or many trees over on the same hunt with little effort is what I like about climbers. Some trees need a hang on stand though.

I hang alot of stands all on private land and they all get locked to the tree no exeptions. people will steal anything that is not locked.

Sorry to hear about getting your stands stolen. It sucks! Had my gear bag stolen out of my truck 2 years ago with boots, Scent Blocker jacket, pants, gloves, you name it...all gone! Glad you have an understanding wife and you get to replace it right away smile

As for a climber, second vote for the Viper right here. I love mine!

If you put any other stands out there, go with cheap ones in case they get stolen again. The game cam idea is a good one to try to catch them. Whoever is doing it probably hunts the public area frequently and will be back to it in the next couple weeks.

You might also consider strap on steps or sticks so that you can pull them each time as well if you choose to leave a locked on stand in the tree.

Calvin, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I have an old one I don't use and she's going out there tomorrow. I did call the landowner, same as last year, I'm the only one...Its just to bad they didn't just sit in stands this coming weekend they are in great spots.

I have never used a climber, I'm thinking the area close to the property line of the public land i will use a climber, anyone have any recommendations?

I've never used the Summit but I love my Lone Wolf Sit and Climb Wide. It's light, comfortable, and quiet.

I was in it yesterday and was reminded of how much I like it. 25' up a tree in about 10 minutes. Comfortable enough for all day sits. Large platform to shoot nearly 300 degrees from -- just a great stand.