• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turkey Fan Plaque?

DonBo

A friend asked if I had any good ideas for making his own plaque. I'm embarrased that I don't. I only have one fan mounted and it's just on a cheap store bought plaque.

You guys want to show off some you've got weather you made them or bought them?

Really? You mean you get all DIY arts & crafty on the deer mounts but don't do anything for your true love - turkeys? grin Time to get the router out and start experimenting!

I've only got one on display on a wood display as well. The rest are collecting dust in the garage or used on decoys.

I got a phone call that my first turkey is done and can be picked up any time. I'll hopefully post pictures next week!

Really? You mean you get all DIY arts & crafty on the deer mounts but don't do anything for your true love - turkeys? grin Time to get the router out and start experimenting!

Guys only got so much time, and room. And besides, you seen one monster turkey fan, beard, you seen 'em all. grin

full-10770-1162-008.jpg

full-10770-1163-009.jpg

Not actually a plaque but these are what I did with one of my birds. I used the leftover feathers to make a mini fan and cut off the brass from the shotgun shell slit the bottom and slid the beard into it, knocked out the primer and use that hole to screw the "minifan" to the wall to showoff the beard. Took about three weeks to dry the fan and the pelt. Cover the skin side with ample amounts of borax, pin it all to a piece of foam core or cardboard and let it dry. Turkey pelt mount. Cost about 10 bucks with borax, pins and foam core to dry it on.

Tunrevir~

Gotta learn to speed up those antler mounts Don. laugh

Here is some of mine. All done at home, and a whopping no cost, other than some cull lumber cedar used for the mounts. Otherwise, the only cose is my time. And that I dont count as a cost.

DSC02094-2.jpg

Super simple, and easy to do.

hockey, those do look nice, especially where they are, a perfect wall for those fans.

Gotta ask though, what kind of bird is that with the longer central tail feathers? Never seen one like that. whistlelaugh

Hockey, could you tell me roughly how wide you made your top and bottom pieces? I'm guessing maybe 8" on the top, 10" on the bottom?

And when you overlayed the top piece on the bottom to pin the fan down, do you have a spacer board inbetween? Or does the top one sit at an angle? It kinda looks like they are at an angle, hard to tell though.

thanks.

I am not sure on the dimensions.

The top piece is hollowed slightly on the underside, and its offset with a small spacer on the bottom part of it. Nothing is angled in or anything. Its all parrallel pieces.

I just got mine back this weekend from the taxidermist. This was my first turkey and to top it off I got it with a bow. Oh did I mention it only took an hour and a half and he was my third bird I saw that morning? full-9938-1201-sdc10006.jpg

OK guys, here is what I have so far with my fan mounts. All are in an un-finished state, just showing to see what folks think and any suggestions for changes. I was thinking of maybe just doing a clear coat on on the wood which would also darken it a little bit, but not much. The other option would be a dark stain similar to what Code-Man linked, since that's the color I happen to have on hand.

IMG_0001%5B1%5D.JPG

I also have my Merriam's fan from this past spring when I also found a large broken elk shed in the same area. I wanted to combine the two to use the shed as the base somehow, but so far I'm not sure I really like the way it is looking just laying it out. The shed has an ugly yellow stain on one part as well.

IMG_0004%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0006%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0007%5B1%5D.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the mount I had done.. you will notice the spurs in the lower left, the shell used, and some morels, as I found a bunch on the same hunt.

Jessica004-1.jpg

Quote:
Gotta ask though, what kind of bird is that with the longer central tail feathers? Never seen one like that.

I missed that little "jab" Don.

Those two alien looking turkeys you point out...... Happens to be my Dads first turkey ever that he shot at age 58, and his second turkey he shot at age 59. When I saw him coming across the field with "something"; I watched and wondered what the heck he was carrying. I didnt hear a shot all morning. Turns out he whacked it while I was out on a covert mission to hunt the gobbles I heard on the ridge above me. He never shows emotion on anything, but I think I saw a slight smirk that morning. laugh

• 4 months later...

My Custom Minnesota Panel.

Gonna add a picture just below the fan and include a brass engraved memorable plate above the beard

TurkeyonMNPanel.jpg

Deitz were did you get that done?

That is the style I'm looking to do. I know you can get one made like that to sit on a table or make so it hangs from a wall 3d like that.

Deitz were did you get that done?

That is the style I'm looking to do. I know you can get one made like that to sit on a table or make so it hangs from a wall 3d like that.

Dietz, whoever did that mount did a heckuva job on the fan itself...the feather placement is absolutley fantastic.