• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I Have a Dilemna......

student

I wanted to buy a newer bow this year and I knew that I wouldn't be able to afford one without selling my current bow. I put my current bow on listcraig and sold it in two days. I told the buyer in an email that I had a couple of people interested in it. He replied consider it sold, I'll take it as is. We meet up and make the exchange. He's happy and I'm happy.

Here's where things getting interesting. The bow in question is a Mathews FX. The listing specifically said the draw length was 29". I told him to make sure you bring it in to a proshop to make sure it fits you. I bought it from Scheels four years ago and have probably shot it roughly 1500 times. The buyer brought the bow to Scheels and found out two things. One, he has a 31" draw length and two, the string was rubbing on one of the limbs. They tried several ways to fix the problem but ultimately determined that the limb was warped. The sales guy for scheels proceeds to tell the guy that a replacement limb would cost $200. He also says that "the bow would not be completely accurate or safe for an extended period of time." Now the buyer wants his money back. I don't know what to do.

Here's my concern. Since it is a Mathews, in order to adjust the draw length, he needs to order a new cam. I had noticed that the string was rubbing the lower limb but I never thought twice about it because it wasn't doing any damage to the string. In fact, I had it in to Scheels on two different ocassions for maintenance and they never mentioned anything about a warped limb.

I have an opinion, but I want to hear what others think is going on before I share it. Thnaks for the input.

thats a tough one

if he gave you the cash and you gave him the bow, and it was understood that its AS IS, you're in the clear, morally and legally

its pretty much on him to inspect the bow and make sure it fits him. shoulda done that before buying it, rather than after. then again, i'd be bummed if i thought it was in good condition, then bought it and found it wasn't

whatever you do, good luck!

Im with GoMaroonM on this one, it was sold as-is, then it was purchased as-is.

i wouldn't even have the balls to ask for my money back.

I wouldn't either. I want to be a nice guy...I'm just afraid he didn't realize what his draw length was and found out he had to spend even more money replacing the cam to match the longer length and now wants to take the easy out by returning it to me.

I'm going to go against the other here, I could not live with myself knowing I sold a bow that was broke to begin with. Granted you didnt know the limb was warped..But come on. had you told him it was, he probably would not have bought it.

Gotta agree with Dietz on this one. Personally, I couldn't live with myself knowing I sold a less than perfect bow to someone who expected it to be in good condition.

I might try first bringing it to a Matthews dealer (don't believe Scheels is?)and see what they say about it. It may just need an adjustment as opposed to a new limb. If the limb is warped they may replace it free.

As for the draw length, thats his problem not yours.

Maybe the buyer broke it after the deal went down and now is trying to dump it back on the seller. If it was your bow and you know it shot fine before selling it, I don't see why you have to now take on the responsibility of him breaking it and eat the cost.

I guess it comes down to if you know it shot fine before selling it or not. That's what would sway my decision on how to go forward.

Oh, and the FX is an older model bow. $200 for one limb seems very excessive. You can probably find a whole other bow to use for parts for even less than that. Check the AT forum classifieds, maybe ask for someone who has parts to re-build the bow yourself.

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate everyone's opinion.

For what it's worth, the bow shot great, very accurate, and fun to shoot. I just wanted something that shot faster.

Scheels is a licensed dealer.

This is a difficult situation. I am not a lawyer but legally I don't think that you have to take it back if the understanding is that it was sold as is. However, the verbal agreement of the terms of the sale would be considered hearsay and may or may not be held up in court, not saying it would go that far.

Next time anyone sells or buys anything from a private party make sure there is a signed receipt by both parties, and make sure each has a copy.

I called a couple of pro shops that are authorized Mathews dealers and from what they've said so far, they expect both limbs to run about $50 to $80 bucks. I'm starting to think either he just wants to give the bow back or the Scheels rep had an agenda.

Buyer beware! But I would take the moral high ground. What is your reputation worth to you? Even if nobody else knows about it.

I called a couple of pro shops that are authorized Mathews dealers and from what they've said so far, they expect both limbs to run about $50 to $80 bucks. I'm starting to think either he just wants to give the bow back or the Scheels rep had an agenda.

smells like the guy was misinformed by scheels, or he is desperate to get the bow returned.

you could split the difference and offer to pay 50 or 80 bucks for new limbs, but he keeps the bow

First of all, I'm not sure why the guy would buy a bow that didn't fit him in the first place. Thats quite confusing to me. Buy first, fit 2nd? I don't get it.

Secondly, I would tell him, its been like that forever, you've never had a problem with it. If he really persists, tell him that you will split the cost of the limbs with him, and then see if you can find them cheaper than Scheels.

Something doesn't sound quite right here.

I would attempt to get Mathews to replace the limb for free. It should not be warping. Most reputable bow companies would do this at no cost to you (except to maybe ship the limb to the company). If they take care of the limbs, I would suggest it is a done deal.

If the limbs are not replaced by the company, the one dilemma I see here over the "finality" of the sale is whether or not you represented the condition of the bow at all. The fact that it was sold "as is" is really irrelevant if you also stated that the bow was in "good working condition" or if you in any way represented that the bow was fit for normal use. A bow with a defect such as a warped limb is not fit for normal purposes and I think that the bow should be taken back and the money refunded.

It is his fault for buying the wrong draw length, so that is no reason to void the sale. The limb situation to me is another story entirely and dependent on the circumstances.

I'd have to agree. I'd feel obligated to get the limbs replaced whether it's through warrantee or not. No way I could sell a bow that's not in perfect shooting order. Now the opinion of one archery shop doesn't neccessarily mean it's broke either. I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion and go from there. The sooner you get that squared away, the sooner you get your new bow.

How could he misrepresent the condition of the bow if he was shooting it himself. He posted that is shoot great and he didn't have any problems with it. I don't know of many of us out there that would intentionally keep shooting/hunting with a bow that has warped limbs. You would be asking for nothing but trouble. a

If it were me, I would split the cost of new limbs for the bow with him, and if that wasn't acceptable to him, then it is on him. Unless there was some type of a "trail" period for him to shoot/use the bow and then return if unhappy, he bites the bullet on this one. Don't mean to sound like a donkey's hind end, but unless you are a store, most used goods sold are "as is" and you accept the risk when you purchase the item.

its a jerk thing to say but a used bow is a used bow he should know its not perfect and if you thought it was in good condition its really not your problem cause you really cant trust ppl any more, he could have damaged it, or he might have buyer regret now. if doesnt know you doesnt have any contact info let it go, i know jerk thing but it sounds kinda fishy to me

How could he misrepresent the condition of the bow if he was shooting it himself. He posted that is shoot great and he didn't have any problems with it. I don't know of many of us out there that would intentionally keep shooting/hunting with a bow that has warped limbs. You would be asking for nothing but trouble. a

If he said the "bow is in good shooting condition", but the limbs were warped, that is misrepresenting the condition - whether he knew it or not, because the bow is not in good shooting condition. If he simply said, "bow for sale that I have used for 4 years", then no, there wouldn't be any misrepresentation.

Whether or not he knew about the warped limbs, which it sounds like he didn't, wouldn't matter if he made some type of statement about the condition or fitness of the bow to be used. The fact is, a bow is not safe to shoot if the limbs are warped, and a statement otherwise is a misrepresentation. I just think if there was some type of aknowledgement by the seller that the item was fit for its intended use, that there should be some responsibility on the seller if the fact is that the limb is warped. The seller would also be in the best position to get the bow fixed for little or no cost as the original owner (and probably warranty holder).

Now, I would caution that the whole situation sounds a little suspicious and I would get a second opinion of the bows condition.

Caveat emptor. If he didn't take the time to thoroughly examine the bow and you were honest in your representation, then I would let him deal with the repair/replacement. Some gear is best purchased fresh out of the box. It will be a good learning experience....for him. Skol.

My thoughts exactly, if he inspected the bow and drew it back before purchase he should have realized both problems, i'd tell him to pound dirt.

I wouldn't take it back either unless you gave him a satisfaction return period. And if I were him, I wouldn't expect you to take it back.

Doesn't Mathews have a free replacement deal for limbs anyhow?

Now, I would caution that the whole situation sounds a little suspicious and I would get a second opinion of the bows condition.

I agree, something seems a little off. $200 for the limbs? warped limb that shot great for you? I would also get a 2nd opinion and if you do decide to take it back shoot it first, if something doesn't feel right walk away. The new owner or a friend may have tried to modify the bow themselves and caused the problem.

Limbs would be 50 to 80 bucks EACH. Plus the cost to have them put on the bow. Looking at 150 for replacement.

I wouldn't take it back either unless you gave him a satisfaction return period. And if I were him, I wouldn't expect you to take it back.

Doesn't Mathews have a free replacement deal for limbs anyhow?

No free replacement for limbs unless it's a factory defect. Warranty is only for original owner.

tough hop for the guy who bought it!! u dont buy a used vehicle without driving it do you? the guy prolly thought it was a cheap mathews, out hunting for that name brand bow at a cheap price, without a clue in the world about the first knowledge of archery gear! AS IS!! maybe he should have said im going to take it to a shop and let u know if there is anything wrong before the sale is final!

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a couple of days on business and I'm just now getting a chance to provide an update.

I made a few phone calls and found out that replacement limbs are $200 bucks for the pair, if they are new. I did find a shop that would sell me just the lower limb, the "warped" one, for $100.

At this point it's been a week since I've heard from the buyer so, I'm really not sure what he decided to do.

if its been a week thats kinda odd usually someone who wants their money back or wants a solution wants to hear from you nonstop