• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Electric Fence

Hemlock

It's come to the point where my lab runs and is going to get hurt...and she finds dead stuff in the bush and comes home stinky.

Who recommends a good electric fence style, or brand? I have heard of the bury the wire style, as well as the wireless version. Anyone? I'm sorry if it's been beat to death, if someone could post the link of a thread that would work too.

Hemlock

Thumbs up for the wireless fence for us and we have a very active beagle that respects the boundaries. It only took a few shocks and he knows where he can and can't go. The nice thing about the system we have is that it does give him warning beeps beforehand so he doesnt have to get shocked. It covers up to 1/2 an acre which is plenty for room to run for him. You just plug the receiver in somewhere in the middle of your house and it broadcasts out in a circle. Plus, you can adjust the range and even take it camping or on the road on trips. So its portable. Not for everyone but it works for our situation. Just type in PetSafe wireless fence on google. Fleet Farm often runs a deal where you get a $25 gift card if you buy the system there.

Thank you for the response. My property is about a half acre, but runs quite rectangular. So....that circle covers part of our property and part of both of my neighbors...I can't imagine that circle range is adjustable to more oval shape? I will check it out.

No. It pretty much is a circle. So it sounds like buying the fence in ground is probably a better option in your case, unless you want to have a fairly small range for her to run. Unless your neighbor is cool with her on their property minus any landmines.

Landmines are part of the problem....sandy soil, so probably in ground is the way to go. Will is still work in 3' of snow? (I'm in Canada/not much different than MN)

Hemlock I just ran across a new type of wireless fence on the internet the other day. It's called WiFi wireless fence. It covers up to 2 1/2 acres. I really don't know much more about it but it looked interesting. Google Monell Pets Thats who I bought my inground fence from and was very happy with there service. The thing that would be nice with a unit like this is if you went somewhere you could maybe bring it with. Good luck Bobcat

The WiFi ones still cover a circle pattern but cover 2 1/2 acres...$329 for the lower cost version.

Seems pretty decent if it works like they say.

WOW MuleShack That is one great looking shorthair pup! Ok I like the hard wired fence I think that would be best that what i use And have no problems