• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

wind how much is to much

Since i moved to the falls last week the wind hasn't given me a chance to get out and now I'm wondering how much wind is to much wind to be on the lake. I like a little walleye chop but dont like to miserable.

It doesn't take much to get the big girl rolling. But I was out there in 25 mph pretty rough but not impossible. It depends on which way its blowing. A north wind on the big lake at 25mph hold on. I have a 1850 fishhawk with a 115 merc fourstroke. So I would stay in over 25mph in my opinion.

Hi Cat,

That's one of the great things about living the area...you choose when you go out. If the weather is not to your liking, go tomorrow. I personally like when the wind is 5-15mph from any direction.

Hi Cat,

As I have told folks in maybe 150 posts, anchor, anchor, anchor!!! I was out with one of my asst. tonight...very windy. We left with 8 dandy crappies, a few nice walleyes & saugers...caught maybe a dozen to small, and tossed back a couple rock bass & 1-22" walleye. Anchored over the top of them & did well. A 150 foot rope & a good anchor, really kinda like the wind!!! Sincerely,

Fishmeister

I prefer it dead calm. I have never had a problem catching fish when it is calm on Rainy. Some of my biggest fish have come at high noon, full sun, shallow water and NO wind. Pike might be the exception but bass and walleyes and not bothered by calm sunny days.

Anything that takes time away from actual fishing is bad in my opinion. The more the wind blows, the more time I waste when traveling or anchoring. Time that is better spent casting! I do use a 30lb anchor, 10 feet of chain and plenty of 2000lb test rope. But with my new MinnKota iPilot, I seldom anchor anymore.

Walleye chop? You can have it - I'll stick with pork chops.

thanks for the info everyone i went out yesterday it wasnt all the bad out there ended up with 12 walleyes i can say one thing im getting the ipolit soon got to make it way easier when fishing alone and fishmiester what would it take for you to help a new guy find a few crappies maybe you can lead me in a direction

fished with Capt. John and his fancy trolling motor, I must say if I lived up there I would own one too. It was the berries! We had a pretty good wind that day and his HOVER mode was unbelievable. Sweet!