• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lions got effing robbed

goblueM

He didn't drop the ball. He caught it and even held it out to show off. There was no bobbling. He only lost control of it when he rolled over to sprint out of the endzone to show off as I said in my last post. If he would have just stopped for one second and then got up there would have been no controversy, but he continued the motion into the effort to get to his feet.

There is equal blame to go around. One is the rule and the ref's interpretation of the rule, and second was Johnson's inability to wait to beg for attention.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• FISHINGURU

• ozzie

• Cooter

he clearly had control of the ball, got both feet down, as well as his rear end. that was a td...no matter what the zebras say. some of those guys have no business officiating at this level period.

he clearly had control of the ball, got both feet down, as well as his rear end. that was a td...no matter what the zebras say. some of those guys have no business officiating at this level period.

You werent watching this in realtime were you? They had the head of officials on the broadcast as the play was being reviewed and he explained why the play was called imcomplete and after reviewing play, why it would still be ruled imcomplete. So the head of officials agreed with the call. Its not the official that needs blame. It doesnt matter if he had control and had 2 feet down, thats not the rule anymore. The rule obviously needs to be reviewed and change.

I agree with reviewing the rule. But I think the NFL is trying to take most of the gray area out the referee's hands. They took the pushing the WR out of bounds rule out of the books.

They are taking the gray area out of this rule as well.

You werent watching this in realtime were you? They had the head of officials on the broadcast as the play was being reviewed and he explained why the play was called imcomplete and after reviewing play, why it would still be ruled imcomplete. So the head of officials agreed with the call.

What did you expect him to say? He's going to stick by the side of his referee "brothers" and not contradict them. They're all in cahoots. Having him chime in about those calls is completely pointless and simply a way to fill time.

yes James, I was watching the game. I know there was a rule change, but how was his move not completed being on the ground? absolutely ridiculous. by the way, you did see that the official with the best look at it called it a TD? this league is getting ridiculous.

the "process" is complete [PoorWordUsage], that was a catch. If the refs would have called it right, the lions would have been halfway to matching thier win totals from 2009.

BTW james,

here is the rule:

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball AFTER HE TOUCHES THE GROUND, whether in the field of play or the end zone."

he still had control of the ball when he fell on his rear end. lost control when he rolled over. that is a catch even by their new rule. he clearly still had control of the ball after ''touching the ground''

Tadster,

Look at the rule you posted, "after he touches the ground". Notice it does not say when he touches the ground.

When he fell his arm came through and he hit the ball on the ground, losing possesion of it.

Do I agree with the rule, probably not. But the play was reviewed correctly.

Hey Rick, Im just getting to read some threads(wicked busy day), but I did notice your comment back on the first page. crazy

Would have been nice to see the Lions pull it off. I really like how the coach handled it - with lots of class...

I dont think he was turning to get up faster to showboat. It is just reaction to fall forward rather that straight onto your back. When I slip on the ice and am about to fall flat on my back, I usually spin in the air and land on my front side to brace myself.

When I slip on the ice and am about to fall flat on my back, I usually spin in the air and land on my front side to brace myself.

You must be a young person! Or a cat. gringrin

Riddle me this then. How many NFL players would of done the EXACT same thing had they just caught the winning TD catch with 20 seconds left in the game? I am gonna go out on a limb and say 98% of them. Anyone is going to get up and be pumped they just caught the winning ball. I watched Greg Lewis do it last year against the 49ers. No one bagged him for being a showboat.

BTW james,

here is the rule:

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball AFTER HE TOUCHES THE GROUND, whether in the field of play or the end zone."

he still had control of the ball when he fell on his rear end. lost control when he rolled over. that is a catch even by their new rule. he clearly still had control of the ball after ''touching the ground''

funny, it sure looked like he touched the ground, oh, say with his two feet, knee, and butt BEFORE the ball came down

and holy heck LMIT, could you be more of a wet blanket? You must never have played sports. players are excited when they score, particularly when its a game winning score

and Johnson is not a showboat, he's one of the humblest players in the league

Yeah he wanted to get up and say "look at us we just took the lead with 20 seconds left and our starting QB is on the sideline!!" He wasn't saying "look at me look at me" but even if he did could you blame the guy he just caught what should have been a game winning td on the road against a division rival that has kicked their butt for many years!! I think I would wonder about the guy that catches a game winning td and just walks to the sidelines like nothing happened.......Calvin Johnson is a humble person it appears just look at his comments after the game....he basically says that it is what it is and that is the rule and there is nothing he could do about it now.

. . .

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body other than his hands to the ground, or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch.

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

To bad the ball slipped out of his hand when inexplicably touched the ground with the ball and it came out!

Yeah he wanted to get up and say "look at us we just took the lead with 20 seconds left and our starting QB is on the sideline!!" He wasn't saying "look at me look at me" but even if he did could you blame the guy he just caught what should have been a game winning td on the road against a division rival that has kicked their butt for many years!! I think I would wonder about the guy that catches a game winning td and just walks to the sidelines like nothing happened.......Calvin Johnson is a humble person it appears just look at his comments after the game....he basically says that it is what it is and that is the rule and there is nothing he could do about it now.

Pretty sad when people don't know showboating when they see it anymore. Goes to show how much our society has gone down the crapper.

Act like you've been there before is all I'm saying.

Why do you think he was humble after the game?

capslockdemotivate.jpg

BECAUSE HE KNEW HE LOOKED LIKE A DONKEY RUNNING AROUND WHEN HE DIDN'T GET HIS JOB DONE AND COST HIS TEAM THE WIN!!!!!!!!

bang_head.gif

Seriously......ya ever scored a game winner of any sort LMIT? Did ya ever drop a checkmate on anyone on the chess board and emphatically shout "Checkmate"?

Was Mike Eruzione showboating waaaaay back in '80 when he scored at the end of the 2nd period against the Soviets? Should he have remained completely stoic and waited for a clock review?

Should Brett Hull have stood calm and waited for a ruling on his '99 Stanley Cup winning goal? BTW...that rule no longer exists as a result.

Should Bobby Thompson have simply circled the bases back in '51 as if he'd been there before when the hit the "Shot Heard 'Round The World"?

Should all three have acted like he's been there? Was society circling the drain way back then in '51?

I think you should consider changing your screen name from LMITOUT to LGHTENUP.

I was gonna say them examples you made are a little more bigger of a moment then a Week 1 Lions game but then it dawned on me that a Lion win is a rare event and would be worth a celebration for some people.

He had control of the ball, both feet down, IN the end-zone......EVERYTHING else is NOT IMPORTANT. That was a touchdown. It sure seems to me the refs are "covering each others butt", even when it is proven wrong on replay. DISCUSTING!

I was gonna say them examples you made are a little more bigger of a moment then a Week 1 Lions game but then it dawned on me that a Lion win is a rare event and would be worth a celebration for some people.

must be another person who never played sports, eh?

there isn't a pro athelete , or 99.9% of all atheletes in any sport, that would make a deciding play at the end of there respected sport and not be able to show some kind of celebratory (sp) emotion!!! Otherwise why would you be competing in the first place????

there isn't a pro athelete , or 99.9% of all atheletes in any sport, that would make a deciding play at the end of there respected sport and not be able to show some kind of celebratory (sp) emotion!!! Otherwise why would you be competing in the first place????

Exactly!!!

Why would we watch if that DIDN'T happen...

must be another person who never played sports, eh?

Sure did and still do, nothing wrong with the celebration but why would you celebrate when the catch was incomplete? The facts are the pass was incomplete and no need for celebration, the ball clearly comes and he doesn't possess the ball. There was nothing to celebrate.