• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zone 3 question

Rippinlip

I am actually posting this for my daughters boyfriend.

He was reading through the reg's and said he was a little confused.

In his area it is a Managed Area, which allows him 1 anterless tag plus his normal tag, which he can fill with either.

He understands that where he is hunting he needs to shoot a buck with 4 points on 1 side to fulfill his normal tag for a buck. He was wondering though if he shoots a buck with less than 4 to a side, can it be registered as a doe?

I did not know what to tell him, no clarification on this fact...

We may need to make a phone call tomorrow, but I was curious what you all thought..

Thanks again.

...He was wondering though if he shoots a buck with less than 4 to a side, can it be registered as a doe?...

no

If the buck doesn't have a antler bigger than a three inch spike it is considered an antlerless deer.

If he shoots a forky, he needs to report himself to the DNR.

no. to be classified as a buck; it must have 1 antler that is over 3 inches. in your daughters boyfriends case; certain "bucks" are not legal to shoot.

if he wants to shoot a legal buck, it must have four points on one side;

antlerless deer have no antler greater than 3 inches...(ie button bucks, and very small spikes.)

a 3x3 (6) point buck is neither a legal buck in his zone, nor is it classified as an antlerless deer. it simply off limits.

No! If he shoots a buck with less then 4 points on a side he is a criminal and will be fined and treated like a criminal! Sad, but true!

All of the above are correct. He needs to tag a doe or young buck with under 3 inches of horns to use his management tag. His buck tag can only be used on something with at least 4 legal points on a side. Good luck.

I just read the regulations, everything above is correct! Unless he is between the ages of 10 and 17 they are exempt from this regulation, and can take ANY antlered buck.

Yes you can take two does in a management area, one with your either sex tag and the other with your management tag. He can tag the first doe he shoots with the management tag and wait for the big boy on the either sex tag

...His buck tag can only be used on something with at least 4 legal points on a side. Good luck.

No, his buck tag can be used on a doe in a managed or intensive area, or a lottery area if successful in the doe lottery.

Yep, sorry, I meant can only be taken on a buck with legal antlers, but can also be used on any antlerless. Thanks for the clarification.

• 3 weeks later...

Related question I have thought about (maybe this has already been discussed):

Say someone shoots a buck with under 4 points and turns themself in. What do you think the charges will be?

I can imagine during the season there will be a few cases of this. Obviously anyone who is enough of a sportsman to turn themselves in, probly made an honest mistake (not defending it, but guessing it will happen). Wonder what the DNR will stick them with.

I have absolutely no idea, that might be a good one to get a direct answer from the DNR about. I'm hoping that its just a fine. What is the charge for someone that shoots a hen pheasant? I would think it would be pretty similar.