• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

best deal on a GPS unit

swamptiger

Question

What's the best buy on a GPS unit these days? I'm thinking of upgrading my old GPS with a newer model that I can use for both hunting and fishing. Would like to find out which unit is the best bang for the buck that I can get hunting and fishing maps for.

18 answers to this question

How much do you what to spend? That is the main question. Personally I would say either the Garmin 62 or the Garmin Oregon 450.

I just bought a Garmin and find that both ND and SD had connects that allow for a direct download of their public and plots land. Very handy. Down side was the total lack of any manual on how to run the rig. I spent about 6 hours trying to figure it out. Despite all of that I'd recommend a Garmin. I've got a lot of money invested in 3 Lowrance units and I still would go with Garmin. Spend as much as you can afford as the latest units have lot of great features.

Full manuals are available for all units from the Garmin web site, in PDF format.

Many of the new Nuvi units will also have the full product manual in the internal memory of the unit. From which you may access it with the aid of a Garmin USB cable and your computer.

I see there's another thread going in the ice fishing forum right now too.. smile I looked at the Garmin 530 Hcx - like the features, but don't think I would use the 2 way radio. Is there another model with the same features as the 530, without the 2 way radio?

I'm looking at the Garmin Legend HCx. Looks like it has the basic features, plus a memory slot and ability to add more maps. Any pros or cons to this choice?

If you can find it, look for the GPSMap 60csx, it's on closeout for $199 because they were replaced by the GPSMap 62 series. I would recommend that one over the Legend.

Mike

Full manuals are available for all units from the Garmin web site, in PDF format.

That doesn't do me a he77 of a lot of good when I'm out in the toolies trying to figure things out. They managed to put some start up info in the package in about 12 different languages so I don't think a more detailed how to is out of line.

I'm looking at the Garmin Legend HCx. Looks like it has the basic features, plus a memory slot and ability to add more maps. Any pros or cons to this choice?

The 60Csx is a very good unit too, similar to the Rhino in that it has the Quad Helix GPS receiver..very good performance in the bush, just without the multi radeo GPS tracking and weather radio functionality. Holds 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks.

rf-lg.jpg

The Radio functionality in the Rhino line is very nice, as is the weather radio and weather alert. You can track up to 50 other Rhino users at the same time and share GPS points with each other...it's as simple as "Where are you...OK send me your location...here...I sent you the weigh point"...then just hit "Go To"...it will track you there or you can just save the point to your memory for latter. Holds 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks.

cf-lg.jpg

The FRS/GMRS/NOAA weather radio bands have different functions, security options, scramble codes, and range capabilities. GMRS can reach out to 15 miles in 5 watt mode and more locally in 2 watt mode. FMS can scan and communicate with more local users and even cell phones in walkie-talkie mode. The NOAA Weather scan and alert can save your arss if conditions go bad, it has for me on more than one occasion.

Other Rino 530HCx features:

* Barometric altimeter pinpoints your precise elevation.

* Electronic compass tells you what direction you’re headed, even when you're standing still.

* Bold color TFT display makes it easy to see and navigate to family or friends at an amusement park, lake or other outdoor group activity.

* microSD™ card slot accepts preloaded MapSource® data cards with detailed maps.

* Automatic routing and turn-by-turn directions with alert tones let you find an address or point of interest and drive there (with optional MapSource map data).

* Rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 14 hours of outdoor use.

This is one of my favorite features in the 530 HCx, a long lasting rechargeable power pack. I did buy a spare for long trips, I seldom need it..but I have it charged and ready if I do need it. I can recharge the 530HCx battery in about an hour in the field off my Vexilar if I wish (or power the unit from it), so it recharges quickly.

cf-md.jpg

Depending on your needs, either model will serve you well. But take another good look at the Rhino 530 HCx for it's all around in the field functionality, GPS tracking capabilities, and safety enhancements.

Looks like the 60csx is a good unit, but I'm not finding any for $199. Finding some deals on the 60cs and 60cx, which I think might be adequate for what I want to spend. I don't like spending a lot of money on leading edge electronic technology - been there, done that too many times in the past.

Looks like the main difference between the 60cx and the 60cs is the 60cs model has the electronic compass and built-in barometric altimeter. Does this mean the cx model doesn't give altitude or directional readings, or just not as accurately, or what?

The "SX" designation code indicated a Card Capable Garmin unit, it has a microSD™ slot.

I would highly recommend going with a microSD™ Capable unit over a non microSD™ capable unit...it's easier and offers more ease of use options and flexibility in mapping in the long run.

Without it, you will be restricted to internal memory only, this is a limitation you will notice and come to regret over time.

Are there any discontinued models that are card capable, or do only the current models have this capability?

There are deals to be found on 60SCX units, but they will be a bit more than the plain Jane 60's are.

Try some comparison shopping on-line...and in Google Shopper. I just seen it listed for $255 new.

"Bundles" will be more, as you get more mapping and accessories that you likely will eventually buy anyway, and they may be a better buy...so cross compare what you get.

The accessories add up quickly latter on, it's smarter to get them in a bundle right off if you can.

I think the 60cx has the slot for expanding the memory, but doesn't have the electronic compass or barometric altimeter built in. Are these important features, or sales hoopla?

The handhelds that have the X designation on them will accept the SD or MicroSD cards.

The S designation basically means they have a sensor for barometric ( altitude ) and a Compass, some guys really like having the compass feature on the GPS.

For me, it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I didn't have the compass or altitude but I would definitely make sure it can accept the data cards.

There are a few discontinued Garmin handhelds that will accept data cards, Colorado, Venture, Vista and the Legend. Colorados should be easy to find yet, not sure about the rest of them.

Mike

Ok - thanks. There's so many models and different features available it gets confusing. My 10 or 12 year old Lowrance has a compass and an altitude read-out, so I'm trying to figure out what I would be gaining other than the capability for the unit to have self-contained maps.

I hear ya, that's one knock against Garmin is that they try to make a GPS for everyones lifestyle, Golf, Hiking, Jogging and others, it does get confusing but once you get one, it's good to know you've got a good product.

Mike

The Etrex line is a good line, easy to use, in the HCX version...very functional.

They eat more batteries than I care to see...if you use the power cord a lot then your OK. If you go with rechargeable Lithium Ions, you save $$$ in the long run.

garmin_etrex-legend-hcx_overview_en.jpg