• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Atwood Furnace

Boss Hogg

Question

I have an Atwood furnace in the fish house. This problem has happened to me two years in a round: When it got around 25 below zero the furnace would not light. There was plently of gas in the tank. The cook stove burned with a nice high blue flame. That line is ahead of the furnace line, so I know the furnace was getting gas. When I pulled the house home and it warmed up to zero, everything workes fine.

This happened two years in a row. This first 4 or so years everything was fine. Any suggentions??? Thanks.

6 answers to this question

You may have been in a situation where it was cold enough your propane

was not vaporizing. Some furnaces are more touchy than others when it comes to low pressure. You can just throw some hot water on the tank and

that will usually be enough to get it started again. I worked for Eddy's on Millacs one winter and they would try to keep the tanks on the south side of the house out of the NW wind.

I have had the same problem with mine . would it help to wrap the tanks in a moving blanket or is that a stupid idea.

if you do pour hot water on the tanks will it have to be done again when the furnace

shuts off, and you have to turn it on again?

Is it a bad idea to make a dog house thing over the tanks that the exhaust from the furnace to blow in to to keep the tanks warm .

Thnks for any Help.

In my experiance, it usually happens overnite or in the early morning hours. It just takes a little warmth to get started again. It does help to protect the tanks, try to keep them out of the windy side. If it continues to go out after you warm the tanks you've got other problems.

when I stay at L.O.W for a week it is not possible to take home.

I understand it happens when it get colder the you know what!

so I'm looking for help in the extreme cold .

Check the gas orifice, if it slightly clogged it will not let enough gas through the line when the pressure has dropped from the cold.

Another thing to do (with caution) is if you have two tanks, keep on inside the fish house with you to keep it warm.

What size propane tanks are you using, bigger the better.