• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

what type of line do you prefer for "fast trolling"

Hoffer

Question

hey all-

what type of line do you prefer for fast trolling (3 to 5 mph) with deep diving lures for walleyes.

I usually tie on straight to the lure.

Last year I had 2 rods hooked up and ready to go. One had 14 pound test mono and the other had 30 pound test 12 pound diamater powerpro. Both baitcasters.

I dont think I had a huge difference between the succes with either - but if I had to guess i think I did better with the mono.

I understand the superlines dont stretch, but then the mono is probably less visual to any fish.

Any thoughts?? I am going to try and respool a couple reels this weekend - so thanks for any quick replies!

7 answers to this question

First thought ...... 30 lb Power Pro would be 8 lb diameter line, if you had 12 lb diameter line then you were using 50 lb Power Pro.

I prefer superlines like Power Pro (and some others) for all crankbait trolling, except for when using boards. If you're worried about line visibility then tie on a leader of flourocarbon or mono.

If you're trolling that fast with superlines I'd really loosen the drag, and run with as soft of rods as possible. After the fish hook up then tighten down the drag a bit. That's not as important with mono due to the stretch, but with superlines and going that fast I'd definately want the drags to slip a bit on the hooksets.

Perchjerker-

Yes! You are correct - I looked at my line spool and it was 30 pound test 8 pound diameter.

Why do you prefer the powerpro type lines??

Just wondering?

Earlier this Spring my brother was using a typ eof Stren braid that was "round" I guess some superlines actually are not truly round? Anyway, this "round" line that he had on went down about 5 feet further than my line. So, I may try that.

is this reason you like to troll with the superlines due to their non-stretch?

I do crank the drag down a bit when trolling - then tighten it back up when a fish is on.

What test do you prefer? I was thinking this year of going down to 8 pound - but am worried about it "burying"

Thanks for any other advice.

yes...good question!

I had some older 14 pound mono on my baitcaster that i was going to switch to some kind of superline. Can I just keep a section of the 14 pound mono on?

Fattire- do you ever have issues with the line digging in with the low of diameter?

I may split the difference and go to 8 pound diameter...I am trying to get some extra depth but dont want to get a buried line all the time either

I have. I use 14 lb. XT for backing. The problem can be the difference in the diameter of the backing as I often have nearly all of the superline out.

I've never had a problem with the line burying itself on the spool.

I like trolling with superlines for the added feel -- you can tell if your bait is running right or if it's fouled with even the smallest weed, or if you're ticking bottom or digging into the bottom, etc. And if your bait is fouled you can usually rip the rod tip and clear the weed without having to reel in. You can't do any of that with mono, you can't even tell how the bait is running. I also like the extra strength I get with the superlines, and the extra depth I can get with their thin diameters.

I use backing under all my superlines. Any mono will do fine, although pay attention to the lb test of the line if you think you'll ever be on your backing. I've used everything from 6lb to 14lb for backing although I prefer to stick with 8lb or 10lb. If I buy line for backing I like buying cajun red, it's super cheap and the red color is easy to notice if you get close to your backing.

I troll with a variety of superlines, everything from 20/6 when I want the extra depth or the thin line diameter, to 50/12 or even 65/14 when I want the larger line diameter so I can get the bait farther away from the boat (I do this at times in the fall, when we troll shallow and often have 4 guys in the boat).

I'm not a fan of fireline or spiderwire stealth. I like powerpro, calcutta braid (exact same thing as power pro), stren super braid, stren sonic braid, and spiderwire fusion (they don't make it any more but I bought a 2,500 yard spool years ago and still use it).

Hope that helps!

I like trolling with superlines for the added feel -- you can tell if your bait is running right or if it's fouled with even the smallest weed, or if you're ticking bottom or digging into the bottom, etc. And if your bait is fouled you can usually rip the rod tip and clear the weed without having to reel in. You can't do any of that with mono, you can't even tell how the bait is running. I also like the extra strength I get with the superlines, and the extra depth I can get with their thin diameters.

+1. I have gotten so used to the extra sensitivity with 10# fireline that I have a hard time telling what's going on with my kids rods (with mono) when we are trolling. Not only can I not tell when they have weeds, sometimes I can't even tell when they have a small fish on. Guess I'll have to split another Fireline spool for their rods next year.