• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So I snoozed and didn't realize most of the area around Bemidji went lottery for this coming deer gun season, just like it is up around Ely.

Now, there's lotto and there's lotto. There were a lot of deer around when I hunted by Bemidji last fall, and I hadn't thought the winter was harsh enough to take much of a toll, so the lotto designation surprised me.

Question is, are folks over there still seeing good numbers of deer? If so, I'll probably hunt out of the lake cabin again this year. If not, I'll probably pass on the trip and hang around Ely.

Thoughts?

The deer numbers are nill compared to say 2007, when deer hunting around here was like throwing darts at a swimming pool. What you saw last year during hunting season was far better than anyone else in the area, I'd say...

I am frustrated with the lotto, but I feel we shouldn't have been intensive harvest for so darn long.

Thanks, Matt. I saw at least half a dozen deer in shootable range there last year over the course of three days. I think I'll just stay closer to home this time.

You were in 1 of 3-4 areas that were holding masses of deer. They are producing areas every year. Other spots are getting tougher and tougher.

Bummed you're not coming this year. I actually bought a rifle license because I had planned to finally pick the rifle back up this year since old Foss-man was coming to plink... wink

You got a rifle? Well now, that's different. Deer numbers are so low up around Ely that if those areas you mentioned are still producing deer, I should head your way. I know Dad would love that again this year. gringrin

I'm up for it. Maybe that 9-pointer's pa is hanging around. smile

I agree with you Matt, I didn't think there were enough deer around to be having limits of 6 for how many years.

We were at the cabin just south of Bemidji this past weekend putting up stands and there are some deer around but didn't see the number of trails/tracks as in the past. Did find one area with 3 rubs and a scrape though, so there is at least one with antlers walking around!!

Will be interesting to see what happens.

I've always had a rifle, Steve. Just put it down after harvesting 6 deer in 3 years, all at long range. Didn't think it was fun anymore, and picked up an old Hawken instead. Been muzzy hunting for meat ever since. I quit bow hunting when the bird obsession took over so hard that I was getting down from my stand to pursue ruffs that had walked by... wink

• 2 weeks later...

So how are the deer numbers as of late, have people been seeing more?? It can't get any worse than last year, as for seeing deer.