• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Why bears avoid wolves.

bogwalker

wow, did you take the photo, thats incredible. cant believe they left the hind quarters, but have heard they like the guts, cool.

mike.

wow, did you take the photo, thats incredible. cant believe they left the hind quarters, but have heard they like the guts, cool.

mike.

My daughter was guiding a film crew for a cable TV hunting show. The bear was shot before dark. The film crew did not want to go along tracking so they packed it in for the night. My daughter, her husband, my son and I tracked the bear starting around 11:00 P.M. after tracking bears for several other clients. The tracking ended in an alder swamp where the swamp grass and brush was leveled in an area about 10 yards around. Blood everywhere. The photo was taken the next day at camp.

We had a bait a few years back that was getting hit every day about an hour before dark...We set-up to hunt the bear and about half an hour before dark a pack of wolves lit-up the evening air with thier "kill" song....they were close, we guessed within a quarter mile, And we never got hit that year at that site again! THE END! frown

was it wolves or was it yotes, I know that yotes will go for the guts before they go for the meat. But looking at that picture it looks like there is still enough of the bear left for a head mount, lol.

That is crazy though.

Sure hope he was dead before they got to him. That'd be a tough way to go.

Was the client, or film crew dissappointed?

Quote:
cant believe they left the hind quarters,

Actually, I believe the entrails are the first thing sought after. The hind quarters or any other meat for that matter is last.

Bob, I believe you are right. The reason they go for the endtrails is because it has the thinnest skin and can get to the inside quicker.

Yep the guts/organs have more nutritional value.

I read an interesting story once about a guy stranded at sea for something like 3 months, lucky for him he was able to catch plenty of fish to keep himself fed. Anyway after a while he was tired of eating the meat and found himself wanted to eat guts, eyeballs, brains and all the weird stuff. His body wasn't getting what it needed from the fillets alone and it was sending him a message to eat the "good stuff".

hey, was that andrew zimmerman. maby that's how he got the role in his show. grin still looks like some good meat left in those hind quarters. good luck.