• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time trout fishing

I'm just looking for a few pointers to help me get started fishing in the SE minnesota region. I haven't fished for trout since I was about 7 years old, and back than it was corn on a brass hook. I do know that corn is bad for the trout, so I will definitely stay away from that. I would like to take a trip over on Sunday to the SE part of the state to try my hand at it though.

Any ideas of what streams/rivers I should target that allow for nice shore access? No need to give any type of hotspot, as I'll figure my own out as I learn the sport. I use a bait casting reel. Currently it is equipped with 8lb line because I generally just bass fish. Should I go lighter on the line to something like a 4-6lb? Any types of lures that I should look at getting? I've heard alot of good comments about the PM's. I do have a few old Mepps spinners I might give a try with as well.

Any tips or pointers anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to email me if you would rather. [email protected]

Well, I picked up my trout stamp this afternoon after I finished work. I'll be heading over there early tomorrow morning, so that I can hopefully hit up a stream somewhere between 7-8am. Since i'm so new, is there generally a peak time for trout fishing? I'd assume early morning, but I may very well be wrong. Would it be outrageous for me to be able to catch a few fish during the afternoon hours? After all, the water must be cooling down!

If I catch a few fish and manage to have some fun, I will probably throw my tent up at one of the local campgrounds. Any suggestions as to nice places to stay in the area that would have fishing on site? I was looking at the Forestville SP, but am open to suggestions.

Early morning and late afternoon/evening has always been my time to walk. Afternoon can work...especially if its overcast. Stop in at Hidden Valley Campground on the east side of Preston on the river...tell um Kevin sent you. Don't get too friendly with the people down at the far end...you'll never get up at sunrise crazy

I'm going to try next weekend if conditions hold.

Ted, how did you do? I'm heading there next weekend for some fly fishing. I'm new at fly fishing and new at SE MN river fishing.

I did great! I couldn't even tell you the number of trout I ended up catching. It was a blast, and next year, i'm thinking about investing in a fly rod and some waders for some more fun. I had the most luck on the root river, but fished a ton of little streams down there. Put LOTS of miles on my car driving around looking at the scenery.

Good for you. Mother nature ruined my plans for this weekend so I'm out of luck until spring. mad

Tell me about it.

I set this weekend aside to go up to Fillmore County for my last trout fishing hurrah until spring, but something tells me even the headwater streams won't be in very good shape this weekend.

That's too bad guys. I also had planned on going back for another day or two on the streams. Unfortunately, mother nature wanted the season to end a little too early! Oh well, there is always next spring.