• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Arden Hills archery hunt

Monkster

My 13 year old received his letter yesterday from the DNR notifying him of the cancellation of the Arden Hills Army Training site archery hunt over MEA. The letter explained a firearms hunt during that same time (October 21st to 24th) in certain areas. One of the areas is 601 (metro). Any ideas of good public lands (or private) to hunt with shotgun within that metro area? Or do we have to go to a SE area to shotgun hunt?

hey monkster how do you go about getting to hunt back there? i drill there in arden hills and have gone on many ruck marches back there and would love to hunt it.

Powerstroke- Yup, I think my son and I just need to get out and knock on some doors.

Hunter - I found it a couple years ago on the DNR website. The hunt my son applies for is a youth archery hunt that requires a mentor with the youth. They let 30 kids in there for 2 separate hunts over MEA. It is a great non-pressured hunt for kids and the MDHA does a great job coordinating it with the guard. If you are a veteran, I know there are hunts in there. The letter we received indicated something about adults still being able to hunt there, but I am not sure how you would go about it.

got the same letter the other day to, this was the last year in which i was going to be able to do this hunt and was really looking forward to it as well. i was really pumped on it this year to as i have seen some monsters in there over the years but havent had the right shot yet, it was also a good time to spend with my dad. i guess this kinda s**t just happens but it was very dissapointing for myself, know i will just have to hope they keep this hunt up so i can mentor my younger cousin in this hunt in a few years. i personally think the reason for the cancelation was retarded and think that they should of just sent out a letter with a warning and hunt at your own risk if they have concern. if your looking for hunting tho there are some places by east bethel and forest lake for wma or in the years to come join the mbrb program which i am in.

The super secret Metro Bowhunter Resource Board. They have a monopoly on metro hunts, and don't like advertising for new members.

(Might be able to tell my opinion on the leaders of this group. sick )

Hunter322~

There are hunts for soldiers at both Ripley and AHATS (Arden Hills Army Training Center) and they put out emails to soldiers who have been deployed. I believe that there are 3 different periods that you can apply for to hunt AHATS, and only one for Ripely. We are hunting the Ripley hunt on 6-7 October before the mass of bow hunters come up. Maybe be lucky and score on a big one! Your fulltimers in your unit should have gotten the email and put it out to everyone in the unit to sign up.

archeral56 - thanks for the info. Too bad it's your last year, I feel for you. Yes, last year my on and I had a huge buck come out of a swamp at us, he stopped about 40 yards out and must have figured something was up. It was a lot fun of seeing the deer, and my son got a good taste of a nice buck coming in. Now he is hungry to go out there again!

yeah and the dnr or whoever the letter came from about this hunt named off all these other hunts i could do, but they send the dang letter 3 weeks after the app deadline for the hunts.