• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anybody fish this lake during the summer? Made the jaunt over there very early on Sunday morning from Faribault and came to find the launch very full of rocks sticking out of the water everywhere about 6-8ft away from shore - almost in a straight line horizontaly like someone put them there? These were not small rocks, they were big. It was fairly dark out(just as the sun was rising), but I could see plenty of rocks in the way from getting my larger boat in the water. I decided not to chance it, fished Volney on the way back and did very well - first time there - very nice lake and fairly clear for around here. Brought home some very nice crappies and a few jumbo perch. Was marking a lot of fish at 25 feet on the bottom but couldn't get them to hit. Anybody any info on Scotch would be great. Can email me if you would like [email protected].

How was the water out there? Green still or clearing up? I am not sure about fishing out there in the fall. I know it is a waterfowl resting area and you can't have a motor on it for waterfowl season. I wonder if that means the real one or early goose counts too though. Anybody know?

Never fished it, used to duck hunt it though. Lake is pretty shallow, with long slow sloping shorelines. Motorless btw. I would suggest a canoe and a paddle. No trolling motors. Or waders.

The rocks at the access is a real bummer. I have seen that occur at other shallow accesses in south central Minnesota. Could be someone doesn't want people fishing the lake, could be someone just thinks its a good prank, who knows. Just be on the lookout when you are backing in. And don't use your gas motor when the waterfowl season is open.

At any rate, if you go out there during open water, bring a set of hip boots or waders and you'd better not have a deep "v"

At this point it's not really a secret and it shouldn't be; the lake is full of a variety of year classes of walleye and pike, some very nice sized perch, and while not abundant, the bluegills are quite large. There will be a great deal of pressure there at first ice. I don't think it needs to be a secret because its something that should be utilized. The pike and walleye are the result of fry stocking, so you may as well go get something from your fishing license dollars. There has been enough spread by word of mouth of good fishing that the lake will be hit hard for most of the winter, so putting this online won't change much.

If you know anyone affiliated, take the time to thank the German-Jefferson Sportsman's Club for investing in high quality aeration equipment that kept the lake on its feet through the past 8 winters, including a very tough winter of 2009-2010.

Scotch Lake Summary

Thanks for the info da_chise31. It was a bummer to see all of those rocks, but maybe it was a good thing since I have a Lund Predator II, which is a deep V - maybe they saved me from more damage than I would have liked. I will just have to wait till first ice to give it a try out there or take a smaller boat there before the waterfowl season starts.

This sounds like a nice lake for my kayak. Doesn't seem like there will be many big boats out and around on this lake.

Sounds great ted. We had a summer seasonal go out with some buddies in a canoe in July and they caught a few walleyes. There are still some small ones to sort but there are all sizes in there. They caught some eaters too.

I have been planning on getting my 14ft aluma in there and pull around some cranks. When does the waterfowl season start? and when it does I can still use an electric trolling motor correct?

You can never use an electric or gas powered motor on this lake...ever.

Paddle or sail only.

Unless some new rule changed happened then you can used any motor you want except during waterfowl season.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been on Scotch lately? I'm thinking about taking my yak out there one night this week to see if I can get into a nice bite.

Was out there last wkend. We had a pretty limited fish finder, but marked a few. We dropped in an old 14ft boat with an electric motor. We trolled out there from 6ft-11ft out in the middle for four hrs and had now luck. It was after all of that rain we had, the water had a pretty good green film on it in spots. We did mark a lot of fish in that 8-10ft range.

I wish they would of never put the aerator in the lake. It was a decent duck hunting lake until they areated it, now it is neither a good duck lake or a fishing lake. It is just a shallow sess pool at this point. Best thing that could happen to this lake is a prolonged drought and a freeze to the bottom.

I wish they would of never put the aerator in the lake. It was a decent duck hunting lake until they areated it, now it is neither a good duck lake or a fishing lake. It is just a shallow sess pool at this point. Best thing that could happen to this lake is a prolonged drought and a freeze to the bottom.

Now why would you say such a thing like that?

No doubt, why say something so stupid? A lot of people put a lot of hard work into that lake - how bout you appreciate it? I think its a great little lake. Suppose you didn't do so well there on opener last weekend, so now it is a "shallow sess pool"? To each their own I guess....

Why appriciate another mismangaged lake in southern mn. The lake used to be crystal clear, full of fresh water shrimp and supported a raft of 2,000 ducks during the fall migration. Last year I drove by the lake in late Oct. and there wasn't even a coot on whole thing.

I have lived in the area for over 40 years and the degradation of Scotch lake is terrible. Twenty years ago if you asked me if I would have to travel to western mn or ND to find quality waterfowl habitat and hunting I would of told you that you where crazy. Now I skip the Minnesota duckhunting scene all together and make trips out to ND, SD and NE.

While thinking about another lake that was a great fishing lake when I was a kid, it would be Sunfish lake by Kilkenny. The 3/4 to 1 pound sunfish and 4-5 pound bass that I would catch and release would make you crazy with envy. Then they started buildiing houses on it, it smothered, somehow carp introduced(no natural inlet or outlet)and now the lake sits there with no quality fishing to speak of.

Nice. Now we have two completely seperate lakes that neither one are good for either waterfowl or fishing, they are not even mediocre at either.

Kill both lakes, take the areator from Scotch and put it into Sunfish and you would have a great waterfowl lake and a great bass/sunfish lake again.

Put all the lipstick on those pigs you want and they still are not going to look pretty. Fishing lakes are fishing lakes and waterfowl lakes should be waterfowl lakes(Scotch is a designated waterfowl resting a feeding area for a reason).

Then we can work on Dora, Henry, etc.

No doubt, why say something so stupid? A lot of people put a lot of hard work into that lake - how bout you appreciate it? I think its a great little lake. Suppose you didn't do so well there on opener last weekend, so now it is a "shallow sess pool"? To each their own I guess....

What is this "hard work you speak of"?

It looked like they where going to put in a yard light on the access. Maybe someone will want to launch there big boat into 6-8 inches of water at night??? and then push it out 50 yards before they can start their motor. Maybe you think?

Didn't the Jefferson Sportsman's Club put the time, $$ and effort into that aeration system put in? I'm not gonna argue with you though, you have been around here a lot longer than I have. I know I heard a lot of shooting last saturday morning while I was in the boat.....duck hunting may not be the best around here anymore, but it isn't non-existent. I grew up close to Watertown, SD and its pretty tough to compare the waterfowl or pheasant hunting out there with around here regardless. Point taken, no hard feelins!

in case you forget sunfish was dead a few years back with a big die off, it will come back just give it time, i remember the days you talk of and a agree with what your saying, as a waterfowler and a fisherman things take time i had a few great trips out on sunfish last winter that turned up good results that show it is gonna come back as long as it dont die off again before it gets a chance......

(not picking a fight, just giving a valid opinion)

EK

in case you forget sunfish was dead a few years back with a big die off, it will come back just give it time, i remember the days you talk of and a agree with what your saying, as a waterfowler and a fisherman things take time i had a few great trips out on sunfish last winter that turned up good results that show it is gonna come back as long as it dont die off again before it gets a chance......

(not picking a fight, just giving a valid opinion)

EK

The bass fishing was crazy good on Sunfish this time of year wasn't it. I bet you remember Horshoes good years before it froze out also, the walleyes and sunfish where great, it had a weedline that dropped off at 10 feet like a wall. Trolling shad raps along the weedline was killer. Time heals everyting, but I sure wish it would hurry up with Sunfish and Horshoe.

• 2 months later...

Any fishing reports from this winter? I thought about giving it a shot... Those walleyes still in there?

Drove by there Friday and Sunday. No houses on the lake. No idea either if the aeration system is running yet.

Aeration is running. Fished it twice with one perch to show for it. Lotsa lookers and sniffers, very few takers. The fish are still there allright. I know at first ice a couple guys got into the perch and walleyes.