• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Perm house building questions.

MJ1657

Hey guys,

I'm going to build a 5x6 or 6x6 perm dark house. I would like your opinions on floor materials and methods.

I was thinking of using 2x3 lumber. Would you use treated or cedar lumber? Cedar would be nice for the weight savings but can it stand up to the abuse of getting banged around and chiseled out of the ice?

Has anyone used construction adhesive to attatch stringers to the floor. I was thinking that it might make for a quieter floor. The draw back I see is if a stringer was damaged and needed to be replaced it would make it tough.

Thanks!

My house has held up for a few years. I made a floor for it out of 2x4's and the walls and roof are built out of 2x4s ripped in half.

Just remember you want to be close to the ice. I laid the 2x4s flat for my floor supports (joices ?) and used 3/4" plywood for a floor. If possible use a separate sled to slide it into place, so that no skis are built onto the house. And minimal blockage out on the ice to not have your house freeze into the ice.

Sorry, no idea about the cedar or adhesive.

I have used ceader on 2 differnt shacks and they are both still holding up qutie well one is 3 years old and the other is 4 I used 2x2 ceader and used 5/8 plywood for the floor cause thats what I had and I sealed it with CFW about 4 times before I put it on the frame of the floor. the glue would be a good Idea but I dont think its nessasary just use screws for the floor. Just remember that the heavier you build it the hevier it becomes to move around each time on the ice.