• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall walleyes on Red

traveler

So I didn't get in nearly as much fishing as I'd hoped in my first summer of owning a cabin on the river. Big surprise:) I did have boat issues with both boats, so I have some excuse...

Anyway, I hope to hit it harder till freeze-up. Any seasonal changes you guys generally see? I've come to learn quickly how much wind effects the bite, but in general do the eyes come back in towards the first break, or?? Bait preferences/techniques for fall??

I'm off to Mexico tomorrow to chase big fishes:) But after that I hope to put some time in. Thanks for any thoughts....

In the past it has taken me longer to get my boat down the river then it has to catch my limits. But every year is different. lets hope this is one of those years again

Normaly I am pumped to get out as the walleyes fire up for the emerald runs and "Frog Bite" this time of the year and if you truly want a fat pike this is the time...although the winds have been kicking our butt. Now if we get a few good calm days look out as it will be nutso fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Awefully quiet in here.

How's the bite Jonny? I was hoping to make it up again soon. I have a box of something for ya whistle

Wind wind and more wind, it has been horrible conditions for getting on the lake and if you get a calm day the water still needs a few days to settle. As soon as we get three calm days I will be out for sure dragging Lindy Shadlings and picking off some of the bigger walleyes Red Lake now has to offer.

So close, we had a few calm days and the action started to pick up a little. If the weather man is correct by this weekend we should have some good fishing again. Just need the wind to lay down as forecasted.

I have been so busy with beans the last week I have not had a good look but normaly about the time the "red leaves fall"...that would be now. Old timers always talk about wading late season or duck hunting in the reeds and throwing a frog on a harness behind the boat. Big northern blues and big walleyes all in one trip... the good old days.

Ah yes, the good old days...I heard the frogs were so thick back then some sections of roadways could get slippery! Anyways, good luck with the beans and the fishing.