• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tackle Inventory

brianboos

Hey guys I have finally decided I have decided I have way to much stuff to replace if it were to get stolen. There for I am now getting insurance on all my fishing stuff. In order to do this I have to basically do a inventory of all my fishing stuff. I would like to start keeping a inventory of everything I start the year off with and then loose over the year. Then make like one or two big orders every year instead of a bunch of little ones. Any ideas how to do this? I would like to do it on my computer or phone. Let's hear you ideas guys

I'm old school. I go through my boxes each winter and write down the assortments by lures, quantity of each and color patterns just because it is more convienent because I don't have a laptop. I lay out each style of crank and write it down, check the hooks, splitrings and take off any left over line and clean off any dirt with a damp rag. I then take a picture of each tackle tray before I store it just in case the insurance man thinks I'm fibbing. I have a 2000 dollar rider on my insurance in case my box is stolen. With the price of cranks near the 10 dollar mark it is well worth the few bucks a year the rider costs. As I inventory I also make a list of baits that I will need to add to and that gives me my shopping list to start the year grin

Tunrevir~

This is really a good idea in case something did ever happen to all of your fishing stuff. However, I would suggest you hide the itemized list from your wife, the total value of your gear might shock her.

I havent done it since 06 but I used to video tape my boat contents and I have special mate tackle boxes so I flip the tray as Im taping ,,,I dont make any lists but I should so I know what I need to pick up

LAS

Take lots of pictures so both you and the insurance man know what you have and will be able to set a value that is close to the replacement cost. It might just scare you when you add up the total grin

g_anoka- That's funny right there. If my wife ever knew how much money I have invested in all my fishing gear, she would kill me.

When taking pictures of rods do you do the whole thing or just the area that has the make/model of the fishing pole; same question for a reel. I really need to do this too as I have accumulated a lot of stuff over the years. I already had my box stolen once about 15 years ago. I had to estimate what was lost and submit that to the insurance. Not sure if I was close or if I underestimated. So having something on file would definitely help with todays prices.

I video tape and take pics every summer. With as much gear as I have a thief or fire would kill me! I keep all the pics and video on my computer as well as on a disk in my safe deposit box. Make sure you let your insurance guy know of any big purchases such as graphs, kicker motors etc. Your insurance may need to be adjusted as you do such things.

Make sure your insurance covers, thiefs, fire, sunken boat etc.

I shutter at the thought of replacing my 35-yr. collection. I have lots of stuff you can't get anymore, as well as collectables in tackle, rods and reels.

I take really good pics of everything and keep them in a fire safe.

Not too concerned about an occasional addition.

I think, if your stuff dissappears from home, your homeowners insurance will cover it. If your away from home, and somebody pillages your boat, that's where you need a rider, but some homeowners policies may even cover that.

as for the pictures of rods and reels, if the picture does not at least have your house in the background, then who's to say you just didd'nt go to the store and take pics of the things you really want. I think i will do the video, and then into the safe it will go.

The make model and reel should be fine. Most insurance companies aren't going to hassle you about that but when you tell them you had six GLoomis rods with Stella spinning reels they might want a bit of proof.

Tunrevir~

I am thinking about doing this on many different things including fishing tackle but also ice fishing gear, camping gear and so forth just to keep track of what I have. I am however considering using Google Docs to do a spreadsheet. The advantage here is that it's online and therefore no need to keep copies in safety deposit boxes or fire safe although a printed copy won't hurt. I also think that with my Android phone I can simply update it from the lake as I lose stuff wink

First off I want to say thanks for all the replies. I really like the idea of bikeoutback because I also have a droid phone and would like to be able to update it on the water as I loose stuff. So can some body please instruct me how to get google docs and how to use it. Thanks for the help guys.

I am thinking about doing this on many different things including fishing tackle but also ice fishing gear, camping gear and so forth just to keep track of what I have. I am however considering using Google Docs to do a spreadsheet. The advantage here is that it's online and therefore no need to keep copies in safety deposit boxes or fire safe although a printed copy won't hurt. I also think that with my Android phone I can simply update it from the lake as I lose stuff wink

Go to google.com and search for google docs. The instructions are pretty good. I have it set up on my google account but don't remember how, or if, i did anything. My phone came with all of the doc readers so never really noticed the How to... sorry frown

However...

Insurance companies have a duty to defend and act on behalf of the insureds. So if they can't prove you didn't have x, you did... unless you do something to make them question your integrity, and your claim will be highly reviewed.

Pictures are always good, but i don't know how necessary they are. When I was in HS I worked at a golf store in apple valley. A lot of folks would come in during the summer with inventory lists for their insurance companies when they had their clubs stolen. These people were much less than honest, but they always came back later with a check from the insurance company and picked up shiny new Pings to replace their 13 year old knock offs.

Not sure having a pic of you, your boat, your house, etc makes a diff... if you have the photo of the item, that's reasonable enough for any insurance co. If not, call the atty general... amazing how fast things move once they're involved....

I'm with Northlander. I video tape everything and then keep a copy on my laptop and on my external hard drive which is stored at work. One never knows when you need an accurate list for insurance purposes or to just remember what you had. Recently a friend on mine parked his boat in the driveway, connected the battery charger and 10 minutes later the boat was completely destroyed by fire.

Check with your insurance agent. There may be a maximum/minimum clause regardless of actual value. If you are interested in pinching the skells, then anything with identifying marks/serial numbers may be valuable. Of course, it is always interesting (read: scary) to see an actual cost accounting of all the $h!t we have!

Most standard form policies will have a limit usually $500 to $1000.00. Many companies offer the ability to purchase insurance for listed item. Another option is to buy a stated value policy. That way the company pays the value you have purchased if there is a loss.

Hey guys I have decided to go with google documents. Anybody using this care to share what template they are using? Thanks for the help guys.