• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1st Timer on the Croix

TruthWalleyes

I have never been to the St Croix, here's my plan for this weekend, let me know if i will run into any difficulties:

Going to put in Friday evening at the landing just north of the confluence. The landing is off of County Rd 21 on the Minnesota side. I plan on leaving the trailer there all weekend.

I am going to head upstream from there towards KinnicKinnic. I will be fishing between the confluence and Kinnickinnic this weekend. I am planning on boating in camping supplies...cooler, tent, coal grill, and camping on the KinnicKinnic island.

I hear there is plenty of day traffic on that island, so i'll probably pack up my tent when i go fishing.

I plan on fishing for sturgen, Catfish, and walleyes. Bringing Worms, and suckers for live bait. Only C&R so won't be needing any tags.

1)Will i have a problem leaving my trailer at the landing all weekend?

2)Will i run into issues camping on that island? (Will be watching the water levels prior to this weekend for any river rise).

3)Anything else that I am missing or that might be a concern?

Thanks for all your help in advance. Just looking for a nice relaxing weekend in what i hear is a beautiful area!

If the launch you are talking about is the St Croix Bluffs Regional Park (it is the only one I can think of in that area) the launch closes at 11PM.

I believe you can leave a vehicle in the Hasting Marina (for a fee) over night and it is just a short trip down the Mississippi to get to the Confluence at Prescott.

I'm not sure what the rules are for camping on the Kini but there should not be as much traffic since Labor day has gone by. Last weekend the boats were lined up so tight that there was no beach left along the entire stretch.

Another option would be to just stay at the Bluffs park and tent there. You would have to pull your boat out each night but it is a very nice park. They have tent sites but I have no idea on cost.

Thanks,

I just called Bluffs...can't park there after 11pm, and would have to buy a campsite just to stay parked in the park.

Called Beanies just off of 94, looks like i can part there all weekend for $10 a day.

SHould be at least 10miles downstream to the Kinnickinnic islands, or split the distance in half to Afton.

Is there any island that i could camp on near Afton?

There's some islands in the Hudson area you can camp on, other than that the Kinni is the only place you can camp on that part of the river.

Kinnickinnic state park might charge to moor a boat overnight in the narrows, never done it, but the wisco dnr site mentions the fee is nominal. Guess the fee might be seasonal? The islands around Hudson are a good option this time of year, beanies is about a half mile downriver. Just so you don't look for it, there IS NOT an island around the kinni.

Thank you guys, You've been a big help!

I will most likely be staying in the Hudson area.

Good Luck Fishing!!

Fished there (Kinni) last sat and it was busy. Not many fishing just the cruziers and WI DNR and MN CO go back and forth. Yes we were checked - every fishermen was, but the cruziers they let go by.

Caught some whitebass and some small smallies. Fun time - just tossed raps, spinners and such for the whities. Saw the anchored live baiter catch some eyes, sheepies, channels, etc.. He was still there when we left.

Thank you guys for the reports.

I read that sturgeon have incredible noses, and you should be very careful with how clean your hands are when handling hooks and bait. Anyone else confirm this?

I'll just clean my hands in the river each time I re-bait, is there a better method of cleaning? Don't want to be using soap in river eek

Thanks all.

I had a good weeknend. Camped on the hudson islands nearest the railroad tracks on friday night. It got busy there on saturday so i camped down by afton and catfish bar.

Didn't have any luck with catfish or sturgeon, but caught more than enough white bass and saugers. They are going nuts by the 94 bridge on crankbaits. Had both rods bent for 5 hrs each morning. grin

Did you stay on the big Catfish point at Afton? I believe (someone please back me on this) that the point belongs to a private yacht club. Not trying to hammer on you, just trying to educate for future referance.

Glad you had a great weekend!

the last time i was there, there was a sighn indicating that it was private property. againg i too am not hamering on you, but what an awesome spot fot shore fishing i would be. good luck.

Yep that is Croix Yacht Club only, I actually camped on the shoreline of the park across the river from the yacht club point. That park closes at sunset, but i just threw up a tent around midnight and went to bed. Never got bothered and i was gone by sunrise.