• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marine Radio

basslkjohn

Question

Bought a used Crestliner Sportfish I/o and really enjoy fishing from the boat. It came with a marine radio, so I have the big antenna stuck out there so I look like a serious fisherman. But I really don't know much about these radios...so here's a few questions:

1. Will the channel 16 on a marine band radio pick up the channel 16 from those $40 "walkie-talkie" hand held units? In other words, given the limited range of a standard hand held unit, can I communicate with one while on my boat?

2. I think my marine unit has about 25 channels. Are these channel frequencies compatible/coordinated across various types of terrestial radios or are the marine frequencies only compatible with other marine radios?

3. Why do these radios have both a 1 watt and a 25 watt power button? Why wouldn't you want to use the higher setting all the time?

4. What would be my best choice for communicating from my home base to the boat? Is my only option a marine band hand held radio? I'm usually fishing on the lake where I live, and my wife will check in from time to time to see if I'm having any luck (hope springs eternal). I know we could use the cell phone, but I'd rather leave it home...I keep telling her that cell phones don't work in boats or golf carts.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can offer.

2 answers to this question

I'm far from an expert on Marine Radios, but I have some answers for you .....

1. Will the channel 16 on a marine band radio pick up the channel 16 from those $40 "walkie-talkie" hand held units? In other words, given the limited range of a standard hand held unit, can I communicate with one while on my boat?

Also if you are communicating to a Lock or lift bridge you are required to use 1 watt (Channel 14 on the Mississippi). There are a lot of rules regarding the use of Marine band radios.

From a FCC web page:

The chart below summarizes a portion of the FCC rules -- 47 CFR 80.371© and 80.373(f)

Type of Message Appropriate Channel(s)

DISTRESS SAFETY AND CALLING - Use this channel to get the attention of another station (calling) or in emergencies (distress and safety). 16

INTERSHIP SAFETY - Use this channel for ship-to-ship safety messages and for search and rescue messages to ships and aircraft of the Coast Guard. 6

COAST GUARD LIAISON - Use this channel to talk to the Coast Guard (but first make contact on Channel 16). 22

NONCOMMERCIAL - Working channels for voluntary boats. Messages must be about the needs of the ship. Typical uses include fishing reports, rendezvous,scheduling repairs and berthing information. Use Channels 67 and 72 only for ship-to-ship messages. 96, 679,68, 69, 718, 72, 78, 794, 804

COMMERCIAL - Working channels for working ships only. Messages must be about business or the needs of the ship. Use channels 8, 67, 72 and 88A only for ship-to-ship messages. 15, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 18, 19, 635, 677, 79, 80, 88A1

PUBLIC CORRESPONDENCE (MARINE OPERATOR) - Use these channels to call the marine operator at a public coast station. By contacting a public coast station, you can make and receive calls from telephones on shore. Except for distress calls, public coast stations usually charge for this service. 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84, 85, 86

PORT OPERATIONS - These channels are used in directing the movement of ships in or near ports, locks or waterways. Messages must be about the operational handling movement and safety of ships. In certain major ports, Channels 11,12 and are not available for general port operations messages. Use channel 20 only for ship-to-coast messages. Channel 77 is limited to intership communications to and from pilots 15, 53, 12, 14, 20, 635, 65, 66, 73, 74, 7510,7610, 77

NAVIGATIONAL - (Also known as the bridge-to-bridge channel.) This channel is available to all ships. Messages must be about ship navigation, for example, passing or meeting other ships. You must keep your messages short. Your power output must not be more than one watt. This is also the main working channel at most locks and drawbridges. 13, 67

MARITIME CONTROL - This channel may be used to talk to ships and coast stations operated by state or local governments. Messages must pertain to regulation and control, boating activities, or assistance to ships. 17

DIGITAL SELECTIVE CALLING - Use this channel for distress and safety calling and for general purpose calling using only digital selective calling techniques. 70

WEATHER - On these channels you may receive weather broadcasts of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. These channels are only for receiving. You cannot transmit on them. Wx-1 162.55 Wx-2 162.4 Wx-3 162.475