• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vertical Jigging Jigs

brianboos

Hey guys I need to add this to my tactics next year. I fish mostly lakes. I am wondering what brand/model you guys like for this? I do have a bunch of northland fireballs. You want a longer shank than a fireball don't you? I know Gary and Chase Parsons like fin tech nuckleball in rivers. Do these work also in lakes just as well? Thanks for the help guys.

If I'm vertical jigging with minnows then I use jigs like the fireball, ie. short shank and wide gap. I lip hook or mouth hook my minnows so a short shank jig is great, if you're hooking them differently then a longer shank jig would be better.

i'm a fan of something with a blade or a little marabou to give it a little flash. think road runners or a knock-off.

tough to beat some good ol northland fireballs though.

it's all about what might catch their attention that day and having a good mix of tactics to try to convince finicky biters to commit.

Thanks for the replys guys. I am a big fan of northland fishing tackle. Would the gum ball jigs by northland work good for crawlers and leeches?

Yep, gumballs work well on sand and gravel or when you are looking at a dragging retrieve over a fairly clean bottom. The fireballs are a mainstay with me on the rivers I fish but I will also run longer hooked jigheads when I upsize my bait to redtails or larger shiners and run the hook through the mouth, under the gillplate and then nick the hook into the back behind the dorsal fin. This helps when fish are nipping at a larger bait, to get that hook further back by the tail for better hookups. I much prefer this over the stinger hooks especially in snaggy bottomed areas.

Tunrevir~

Don't forget about the Lindy Max Gap Jigs, those have an extra wide gap and work great with the larger minnows and plastics used in the fall!! The hooks are high quality and the paint jobs are great.

Also check out the lineup from VMC, quality jigs that work!

And anything by Northland is great.

I have a problem.

I can't walk by the bulk jig bins in any store without buying at least 10.

I've been using fireballs primarily though... have some mooneyes I am going to try this weekend. For vert jigging minnows I like to hook through the lips/head. However, I usually jig with leeches - but good luck finding any now. I've not had any luck with the better than live version of these.